Internet "Cosmos" sequel trailer now up!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Sunday nights episode was by far the best. I know many don't agree that this show is on pair with the original, but it is by far the best scientific related show to come since. I had no idea about C. Patterson, he proved the Earth was 4.5 billion years old and proved that lead products being introduced to consumers by corporations was a significant health issue. I also loved the point Tyson brought up that big businesses hire their own scientists to confuse the issues and allow them to continue profiting off something extremely harmful.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Cosmos has been on NAT GEO in canada for a while now. the older cosmos Im guessing the first season or what have you is on the canadian netflix so I can only assume that it would be in the states (way better netflix then we have) I am not sure about other areas but I do go state side often so I know how good they have it vs us canadians. But I PVR cosmos all the time.

Unstung

Reaction score
After a week with no episode on March 25, the penultimate episode aired yesterday, with the final episode airing next week. The recent episode focuses on the causes global warming and its effects, while addressing some common claims about how global warming is not a result of human activity.

The series has spent plenty of time focusing on ideas that are scientifically grounded but controversial in public discussion, such as the age of Earth, evolution, and now global warming for an entire episode.

The concern Neil Tyson has over global warming is similar to how Carl Sagan was concerned about possible nuclear warfare, which is referenced in the episode. If civilization can endure the threat of mutually assured destruction, why not global warming too? The Apollo Program was developed as a result of Cold War tensions, so the threat of global warming could inspire another technological tour de force.

Considering how Neil Tyson, and probably Ann Druyan, desires people to become "scientifically literate", perhaps expecting Cosmos to cover such controversial topics to this extent is logical. After all, by airing on Fox, the show is not aimed towards people who expect there to be frequent sequences devoted to bleeding edge science.

A Spacetime Odyssey has been more of a time odyssey than a space one. More often than not, episodes were focused on prominent scientists and their fundamental discoveries. Although the lack of updated astrophysics material can be disappointing, having the life of Michael Faraday, for example, presented in a relatable way is certainly enjoyable. It gives these scientists lives, ones that cannot be understood by merely reading a university textbook.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
IMHO, the new series complements the original, but does not replace it, for a variety of reasons.

Unstung

Reaction score
IMHO, the new series complements the original, but does not replace it, for a variety of reasons.

From the standpoint I outlined above, A Spacetime Odyssey is not necessarily meant for viewers of the original series either. It's meant to stand alone and introduce people to scientific thinking. In fact, Neil Tyson states the purpose of the new Cosmos is to present science in an appealing and influential way, as quoted on its Wikipedia page.

The task for the next generation of Cosmos is a little bit different because I don’t need to teach you textbook science. There’s a lot of textbook science in the original Cosmos, but that’s not what you remember most. What most people who remember the original series remember most is the effort to present science in a way that has meaning to you that can influence your conduct as a citizen of the nation and of the world--especially of the world.

Although I would already consider myself to be in the "scientifically literate" boat, there are other enjoyable things in the series. As I said, how A Spacetime Odyssey humanizes historical figures that would otherwise be in a boring textbook is particularly laudable.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Final episode tonight.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Unstung

Reaction score
Aw, I forgot it's tonight. I'll catch the episode tomorrow.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Cosmos is up on Netflix now, if anyone was interested.