News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I never said it was any of that, just good news.

Yes, it is; but it has been good news since the 1960s.

Its use may be promoted more in standard of care for COVID-19, but most medical professionals in respiratory care are already aware of it and are utilizing it when appropriate.

The concern is that people will read these headlines and go "Oh, no worries, they have a pill for that!" and forget that we're still in a predicament where the surest way of saving lives is to prevent the spread.

For all of the good that these drugs and treatments can deliver, we need to remember that a large number of people infected will die despite the best standard of care currently available.

I'm not trying to dampen your hopes and enthusiasm, but I worry that many people are desperate for all of this to be over and are using anything to justify their return to normalcy, even if it is wrong.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I'll disagree. I'm not a health professional and never heard of Dexamethasone.
To me it reduces death in some cases on ventilators and oxygen.

I never assumed it was a any sort of cure, just a help.

I haven't had any hopes or enthusiasm dampened.

ps When I click on my Addons it gives file not found?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks to the big slaughterhouses of Tönnies and the massive outbreak among east-european workers there, the 4 day reproduction number estimate of Germany is now at 2.88, which is close to the values for R0 again.

Sadly, while those are the biggest number of new cases in a single spot, they are not alone, other states also note quickly increasing numbers of new infections in Germany.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
From the article: "Some of these factories have on-site or nearby accommodation where there are several people in each dormitory. They may be transported on a bus to the site of work, and they will be indoors together all day"

These factors also seem the explain the high infection rates we've seen on my country around Lisbon.
It's mainly low income temporary construction or industry workers, that live in shared rooms, with shared or poor sanitation.
It's a social problem that now has general health implications.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
From the article: "Some of these factories have on-site or nearby accommodation where there are several people in each dormitory. They may be transported on a bus to the site of work, and they will be indoors together all day"

These factors also seem the explain the high infection rates we've seen on my country around Lisbon.
It's mainly low income temporary construction or industry workers, that live in shared rooms, with shared or poor sanitation.
It's a social problem that now has general health implications.

Same here, but it is also amplified by some very doubtful business practices, the workers are not employees, but actually subcontractors - which means: No unified reporting of illnesses, often it is not even known, where the workers live. Journalists in Germany already found houses, that had not been put under quarantine.

Also, would those workers be Germans, the construct of their employment would have been a crime, its often a case of fake self-employment, which is a form of tax evasion. But its fine for the east-european countries.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Switzerland is lifting almost all restrictions next week. We've had no significant cases of new infections. Swiss health experts warn that the lifting of restrictions is too indiscriminate too early, but politicians are already facing criticism for lowering restrictions way slower than their initial roadmap had announced (based on new infections per week), so the move is understandable.

In general, in the case of Switzerland specifically, "overreaction" is a fair description of overall covid response. Infections have been low all through the board, and not even a fraction of the hospital capacity reserved for covid patients had been used, leading to some logistical problems.

I'll rather have it this way than the other way around, of course, but then again I have suffered zero economic impact from those measures, so I understand people who did being a bit upset. My company has terminated its government support after order intake started rising again, from next week everybody's back to full action, and my software team will be working mostly from the office again, which means I'll be hitting the Bus again on an almost daily basis. We'll see how that goes, I guess.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
ArizonaDNC_Update_v01_LY_hpEmbed_22x15_992.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Everybody that thinks that summer is safe and that COVID is seasonal need to remember where you live. A lot of southern US states like Texas and Arizona are getting whacked now because you simply can't be outside all of the time in the heat (and humidity along the Gulf Coast). Living in air-conditioned confines during the day is pretty much SOP this time of year.

Northern states with more moderate summer temperatures can be outdoors and keep the doors and windows open for more of the year. We may see our second wave in the fall when we start going inside the heated indoors, where the south may be able to get out more in their more comfortable fall temperatures.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Everybody that thinks that summer is safe and that COVID is seasonal need to remember where you live. A lot of southern US states like Texas and Arizona are getting whacked now because you simply can't be outside all of the time in the heat (and humidity along the Gulf Coast). Living in air-conditioned confines during the day is pretty much SOP this time of year.

I'm more of the opinion that said states are getting whacked right now because of failures in leadership: namely, these states trailed other states in COVID ramp-up, but began and ended their quarantines about the same time as the states that got hit earlier. At the very least, the quarantines should have ended later, and, less certainly, perhaps they should have begun them later too, as a way of managing public cabin fever. If only two or three months of lockdown is politically tolerable, you've got to make sure it's the right two or three months.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We just had to register ourselves at a McDonalds just to get some stuff for the children... now, I even have less understanding of what went wrong at the slaughterhouses here. Why had the illnesses never been reported before things went out of control there? The normal laws already call for very strict health checks there. Just mathematically, the outbreaks must have started already in May, still neither the management nor the local government agencies reacted. Its criminal negligence.

The more people search now, the more cases are found in this industry. One big factory for Kebab was also hit for example and three more slaughterhouses.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
It's been know that food distribution industry is a focus of infection. I've read about it from US sources back in March. It never gained international media traction, but it's not a new thing.
Well, this started in a food market, right ?

Of course that the food supply chain is a problem, but nobody mentions this. Perhaps not to cause panic.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
The more people search now, the more cases are found in this industry. One big factory for Kebab was also hit for example and three more slaughterhouses.
in Russia there is an analogue of kebab (Шаурма) that it wasn’t safe to buy without a pandemic, I have the opportunity to cook for myself or my girlfriend,
i always wash products and I have a water purification filter (not sure if he will help against viruses)

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Properly cooking generally kills off most viruses and bacteria, Washing does not. A well maintained household water filter will not stop viruses, as they are for filtering out particulates and large bacteria. That said the number of water born viruses that are an issue for humans is relatively small and usually only become an issue because sewage water is leaking in to the freshwater side of the system.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
The problem is not contaminated food. There's no evidence of that as far as I know.

The problem is finding large number of workers with Covid on food processing plants.
Do they get it during work ? Why virus on workers and not on the food ? Nobody knows for sure...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The problem is not contaminated food. There's no evidence of that as far as I know.

The problem is finding large number of workers with Covid on food processing plants.
Do they get it during work ? Why virus on workers and not on the food ? Nobody knows for sure...

Actually, the air conditioning units are currently in focus, since they are likely also responsible for amplifying the outbreaks on cruise ships.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
We just had to register ourselves at a McDonalds just to get some stuff for the children... now, I even have less understanding of what went wrong at the slaughterhouses here. Why had the illnesses never been reported before things went out of control there? The normal laws already call for very strict health checks there. Just mathematically, the outbreaks must have started already in May, still neither the management nor the local government agencies reacted. Its criminal negligence.

I saw an article maybe a week ago to the effect that the virus had been found in Italian sewage samples taken before the first cases in China had been announced. That would imply that the virus was already very widespread in the West before any quarantine measures of any kind were undertaken.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I saw an article maybe a week ago to the effect that the virus had been found in Italian sewage samples taken before the first cases in China had been announced. That would imply that the virus was already very widespread in the West before any quarantine measures of any kind were undertaken.

The problem with that study - it does not fit well to the test results later. Its likely a number of false positives.

Status
Not open for further replies.