News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cases in Switzerland are picking up after walking back restrictions almost entirely. There's no talk on putting restrictions back in place yet, but the government now made the decision that wearing masks when using public transportation is mandatory, something they managed to avoid so far because the lockdown was effective enough.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Cases in Switzerland are picking up after walking back restrictions almost entirely. There's no talk on putting restrictions back in place yet, but the government now made the decision that wearing masks when using public transportation is mandatory, something they managed to avoid so far because the lockdown was effective enough.

Melbourne Victoria is now back on level 3 restrictions after a spike in cases.

Masks are not required yet, but they have left themselves open to it. I would imagine compliance would be low in some areas.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

In Germany, the number of cases among the <15 year olds has quickly reached the proportion of this age group among the general population, only two weeks after schools reopened again. (How surprising)

Looks like children had not been "immune" to the disease at all, we just managed to protect them good. There is no glory in prevention.

mahdavi3d

Reaction score
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NZeaEKRng"]YouTube[/ame]

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks like children had not been "immune" to the disease at all, we just managed to protect them good.

It is interesting though that in Switzerland, reopening schools and restaurants (already a while back) had no measurable impact on the infection rate, while allowing events with up to 250 people and reducing the safety distance to 1.5m last week saw a rapid uptake.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The easing of lockdown rules in England is the "biggest step yet on the road to recovery", the prime minister has said.
Many businesses - including pubs, restaurants, hairdressers and cinemas - can reopen from Saturday.
Boris Johnson said the public "must not let them down" by being complacent about social distancing, and he would "not hesitate" to reimpose restrictions if the number of Covid-19 cases rises.
"Targeted local" measures would replace "blanket national" ones, he said.
England's chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, who spoke alongside Mr Johnson at Friday's Downing Street briefing, said no-one watching would think the easing was a risk-free step but that "there is no perfect, exact way of doing it".
It comes after pubs were told they must wait until 06:00 BST to reopen as a "precaution" to avoid midnight parties.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53279855

Everybody standing well back to see what happens Saturday night. Should have left it till Monday.

mahdavi3d

Reaction score
cnbc.com : Novavax soars after U.S. government awards firm $1.6 billion for coronavirus vaccine development

The U.S. government has awarded Novavax $1.6 billion to cover testing, commercialization and manufacturing of a potential coronavirus vaccine in the United States, with the aim of delivering 100 million doses by January 2021.

Shares of Novavax surged more than 35% in the premarket on the news.

The award is the biggest yet from “Operation Warp Speed,” the White House program aimed at accelerating access to vaccines and treatments to fight the coronavirus that causes Covid-19.

“What this Warp Speed award does is it pays for production of 100 million doses, which would be delivered starting in the fourth quarter of this year, and may be completed by January or February of next year,” Novavax Chief Executive Stanley Erck told Reuters.

It will also cover the cost of running a large Phase III trial — the final stage of human testing — which could begin as early as October.

The announcement follows a $456 million investment in Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine candidate in March, a $486 million award to Moderna in April, and up to $1.2 billion in support in May for AstraZeneca’s vaccine being developed with Oxford University. The U.S. government also awarded Emergent Biosolutions $628 million to expand domestic manufacturing capacity for a potential coronavirus vaccine and drugs to treat Covid-19.
{...}

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As I understand it, antibody tests have been universally unreliable. And that study is just 96* individuals. The conclusion of it is that further study is needed.
I hate seeing these inconclusive studies get propagated so widely with incredibly important consequences implied in the reporting.
The linked article is of course thorough and accurate, but I have already seen the wrong* takeaway on social media.

Yeah, but again, it is not the first study arriving at this observation, so it is at least not unlikely to be a correct observation. I hope that the Heinsberg study population will get observed for a while, since it is one of the biggest anti-body tests here with known individuals.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, but again, it is not the first study arriving at this observation, so it is at least not unlikely to be a correct observation. I hope that the Heinsberg study population will get observed for a while, since it is one of the biggest anti-body tests here with known individuals.

Damn, you replied before I tempered my comment. :)
I shouldn't post when Germany is awake :lol:

I really do hope we learn a lot more about this disease, the good and the bad.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Damn, you replied before I tempered my comment. :)
I shouldn't post when Germany is awake :lol:

Oh, you just have caught me while I am in reduced working hours now... I am back at working only 10 hours per week, that is almost like being student again. :lol: Usually I would be busy with customer meetings now.

But its possible that you won't see me much in the second half of the year, the Powers That Be decreed that I will get sold as junior project manager.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
So I went out today to get food, and in the shop only 1 in 4 people where wearing face coverings. All of them younger people of western European heritage, This is inside the Local lock down in Leicester. Why is it that the known most at risk groups don't take basic precautions to prevent continued spread of this virus.

Some times I despair at how people some times have no sense of self preservation.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the Powers That Be decreed that I will get sold as junior project manager.

First they "deploy" you, now they "sell" you... who are you working for, again? :blink:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
First they "deploy" you, now they "sell" you... who are you working for, again? :blink:

I have no idea. They merely contact me and tell me where to go and who is my contact there. :shifty: Sometimes I get some coarse information about the type of mission. Sometimes the management gets upset because what I did for reaching the goals requested by my contacts was not insured or even implicitly specified by the contract. And adapt the later contracts to include the deeds I did.

I rarely see the contracts though, and as I found out, in some cases a contract was signed half a year after I finished a job.

My function is still officially called "Analyst" and I am not Jack Ryan.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
So I went out today to get food, and in the shop only 1 in 4 people where wearing face coverings. All of them younger people of western European heritage, This is inside the Local lock down in Leicester. Why is it that the known most at risk groups don't take basic precautions to prevent continued spread of this virus.

Some times I despair at how people some times have no sense of self preservation.

Well, for the elderly, it's that they're often lonely (many/most of their friends are already dead of other things), and often feel ready to go, so they value their social lives more than their actual lives. I think they also often feel that, when it comes to the worries of their youth, the worrying often screwed them over worse than what they were worried about, so they aren't inclined to be alarmed at much.

For poorer groups, I think many have seen enough hardship to make COVID a relatively minor concern, and many do not trust the upper classes.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
A coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford appears safe and triggers an immune response.

Trials involving 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and T-cells that can fight coronavirus.

The findings are hugely promising, but it is still too soon to know if this is enough to offer protection and larger trials are under way.

The UK has already ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53469839

mahdavi3d

Reaction score
news-medical.net : The Phylogenetic Tree of the SARS-CoV-2 Virus

What is a Phylogenetic Tree?
Phylogenetic trees are diagrammatic representations of the evolution between different related species based on their genetic and physical similarities. At a broader level, phylogenetic trees originate from a ‘common ancestor’ giving rise to the multitude of life including bacteria, archaea, and Eukaryota.

Viruses are biological species, in the sense that they comprise of nucleic acid sequences and are subject to a wide array of evolutionary changes including mutations to their sequences. Whilst viruses are not living organisms, the ability of viral nucleic acid sequences to accumulate changes through mutations or recombination with other species gives rise to novel viral lineages.

SARS-CoV-2 Phylogenetic Tree
The severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) is the cause of the ongoing global pandemic of coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) that originated around mid-December 2019 in Wuhan, Hubei Province of China. As of March 11, 2020, COVID-19 was declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organisation and the virus had spread to most nations.

SARS-CoV-2 is a lineage-b beta-coronavirus belonging to the coronaviridae family. This family belongs to the order nidovirales, of the pisonivirecetes class, of the pisuviricota phylum, of the orthomavirae kingdom, of the ribovaria realm. As such, the virus has an RNA genome (+ssRNA with single linear arrangement) with RNA-dependent RNA polymerase (RdRp) which produces RNA from RNA.

Lineage-b beta coronaviruses include the SARS-CoV virus that causes SARS and both bind to the ACE2 receptor. However, unlike SARS-CoV, SARS-CoV-2 contains an evolutionary distinct and proteolytically sensitive activation loop (furin-like cleavage site) that is thought to be the reason behind its increased pathogenicity and transmissibility.

The origin of SARS-CoV-2 is considered to be bat-borne due to the close genetic similarity to bat coronaviruses (96%). There is no concrete evidence to suggest that another host was a reservoir for the virus before transmission to humans, although the virus shares up to 92% similarity to pangolin coronaviruses.

Some evidence has suggested that it may be that bat-borne SARS-CoV-2 jumped to pangolins, back to bats (incorporating some pangolin homology), and then to humans.

Recent Mutations to SARS-CoV-2
Analysis of the SARS-CoV-2 virus across different nations at different times of the pandemic have revealed that the virus has undergone several mutations, some which do not seem to have any significant impact on the virus, whereas other mutations are thought to be more significant and may allude to strain divergency – though whether this means the virus has become more virulent is not immediately clear, and it may even lead to the virus becoming weaker than the current form.

It is inevitable that as time progresses, the virus will accumulate independent mutations in different locations. To date, most of the mutations that have occurred are only moderately genetically diverse with an average pairwise difference of 9.6SNPs between any two genomes (according to one study); which shows that the common ancestor is recent and has a mutation rate of around 6x10-4 nucleotides/genome/year.

The specific mutations that have occurred in SARS-CoV-2 are largely neutral, although some are allowing the virus to adapt more to the human host. However, one of the strongest diversions has occurred at site 11083 of Orf1a which encodes Nsp6. This is thought to be the site that results in CD4+/CD8+ T-cells. Changes within this region may account for the differences in immune responses to SARS-CoV-2.

One study has classified some mildly different strains of SARS-CoV-2. Type A refers to the original Chinese variant (two sub-clusters with a mutation at T29095C). Type B is also present in Asian countries, the US, and Europe. Type B diverges from Type A by 2 mutations: T8782C and C28144T – the latter resulting in the changing of leucine to a serine. Type C differs from Type B at G26144T (glycine to valine) and is the major European variant, and largely absent in China.

Despite the presence of mild divergent strains that comprise specific mutations at specific locations (Types A-C) which are geographically different, it is important to stress, that at present there are no distinct divergent strains of SARS-CoV-2 and any vaccines targeting the current strain should work effectively.

Due to the zoonotic nature of SARS-CoV-2, it is next to impossible to predict the trajectory of the future phylogenetic diversity of the virus, and how it may adapt and evolve to infect humans in different ways.

As with influenza viruses; which have several divergent strains, SARS-CoV-2 may also diverge into multiple strains with differing rates of valence and transmissibility. This would be the biggest concern for any vaccine development, and only time will tell if such bigger divergent strains develop.

In summary, SARS-CoV-2 shares high homology to bat-coronaviruses and as such is thought to be bat-borne. The role of an intermediate host reservoir, thought to be pangolins, is still to be confirmed. Whilst numerous mutations have occurred within SARS-CoV-2 giving rise to distinct geographical variants, none at present are thought to have strongly diverged to create a novel strain to the current SARS-CoV-2 virus in circulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.