Problem Creating transparent textures

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having problems creating a partially transparent material for my latest addon.

I have tried changing all the values for the material in the mesh file, but not one of them has made it transparent.

Can anyone give me an example of a transparent material please?

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

I have made the material now, but I have found that whenever some of the parts of the mesh are viewed through the transparent material, they become invisible.

Why is this?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I think that's an Orbiter limitation, I've not really used transparency that much though

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]I have made the material now, but I have found that whenever some of the parts of the mesh are viewed through the transparent material, they become invisible.

Why is this?[/QUOTE]

I'm not an expert, but i think you are supposed to place the transparent groups of your mesh LAST in the groups order.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but i think you are supposed to place the transparent groups of your mesh LAST in the groups order.

This is correct. The order they appear in the mesh file is the same order they are drawn in and you therefor control what can be seen through them.
This is especially troublesome if you can see transparent parts through transparent parts, as there will no coherent behavior for all viewing angles.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks - it has worked now. I'll be sure to check that before animating next time :)

:probe: