Project CST-100

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
AtlasV-412 alpha v0.34

New Features & Bugfixes :

- Possible CTD when activating the range safety command should be fixed.
- Centaur-DE (stage2) RCS system implemented. During powered flight, only the roll channel is active. When the main engine are shutdown, the Centaur can be oriented thanks to the RCS (not very easy to handle but it does the job, IRL it is mostly used to release satellites in a given attitude). Took me 5 good hours of work, so enjoy :lol:
- Centaur aft camera relocated in the engines section (looks more like the rocket cam videos).

@Kyle : about the problem of KSC area not being lit by the rocket, it is actually one of the few D3D9 client limitations. Same for me and I'm pretty sure for all the others. But the LC41, now that we have a mesh, is perfectly illuminated with a yellow-ish LOX/Kerosene flame tint ;)

Last edited:

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Everything is fine except for one thing, when the main chutes on the Demo Cap deploy, it sends the Capsule flying into space. Also, is it possible to add more debris to the range safety detonation, or would it be too resource intensive?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Now I have a CTD when trying to activate the range safety command. No idea why, will investigate.

Can someone test the range command on the launchpad and at various altitudes < 1 kilometer ? Thanks. The problems occurs only there.

Last edited:

ky

Reaction score
Now I have a CTD when trying to activate the range safety command. No idea why, will investigate.

Can someone test the range command on the launchpad and at various altitudes < 1 kilometer ? Thanks. The problems occurs only there.
Did that, no CTDs on my end, I tried on the pad, at 1km, 5km, 15km,and at 25km.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A NASA article that is directly related to this project :

Atlas V Design Reviewed for Crewed Launches

---------- Post added 08-04-12 at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-03-12 at 06:05 PM ----------

Ok, I tracked down the bug. It was caused by the particle effects on the launchpad. The launchpad is constantly asking to the stage1 what's the main engine throttle status during (and before) the first 20 seconds of the flight. Except that, if the stage stops to exist (and the range command deletes it), it crashes everything, as the launchpad don't get a valid answer. So I forgot to program the launchpad so that he ckecks first that the stage1 exists, then only it does the particle effects stuff.

Well, that's fixed now.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
AtlasV-412 alpha v0.35

New Features & Fixes :

- Possible CTD when using the range command before T+20 fixed.
- Jettisonning DemoCap SM now really spawns a discarded SM.
- Some cross sections adjustements on Stage 1.
- Throttle down to 75% thrust at T+210 now prevents the G forces from exceeding 4.5G. NASA's HIDH (the bible on human body in space) charts say that human body can sustain 6-7Gs "eyeballs in" for 120 seconds without affecting the abilities of a trained crew (provided that the cockpit is designed so that they can reach the commands, of course). So I'd say it's OK, especially since this 4.5G phase doesn't last more than 15-20 seconds.
- 1st stage engine shutdown now takes like a second instead of the instant on/off former behaviour.

Don't forget to check Orbiter.log regularly to see if there are warning messages. Orbiter can accept some errors (like a missing texture) without CTD.

Everything is fine except for one thing, when the main chutes on the Demo Cap deploy, it sends the Capsule flying into space.

Can you check that again ? Thanks. If the problem occurs again, please precise the MET, altitude and airspeed when the chutes open.

Last edited:

ky

Reaction score
Don't have the problem now, but I have a new problem. After the CM+SM are jettisoned from the Centaur stage, the adapter is not seen from the Centaur view looking forward.
OqDHF.jpg

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Don't have the problem now, but I have a new problem. After the CM+SM are jettisoned from the Centaur stage, the adapter is not seen from the Centaur view looking forward.

Ah yes, confirmed. And fixed. Just forgot to write that the adapter mesh must be visible in internal views (which isn't the case by default). In fact what we were seeing was not the adapter (which was invisible in cockpit view), but DemoCap itself.

---------- Post added 08-05-12 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-04-12 at 05:59 PM ----------

Everything is fine except for one thing, when the main chutes on the Demo Cap deploy, it sends the Capsule flying into space.

I have the same when I use 10x time accel during main chutes deployement. Does it happen when you are in x1 (realtime) ?

I could try to improve the stability of the chutes or, even easier, force the time acceleration off between 3500 and 3000 meters...

ky

Reaction score
It happened when I was in 1x, ans it hasn't happened since I reported it.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, anyway I just made changes on that part, so it should be more reliable in next alpha.

A "mini-freeze" of your computer can cause this to (Orbiter misses a few frames and then there are calculation errors).

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
If I may offer a suggestion, I would also try to when you are able to destruct the Atlas V, that the SRB would also detonate as well, as it looks rather strange to see the SRB tumbling end over end all over the place. Otherwise, this Atlas is an excellent addon for the CST-100!

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
AtlasV-412 alpha v0.36

New Features & Fixes :

- Clipping bug when in internal view with the launchpad selected fixed (D3D9).
- The Centaur-CST100 adapter was invisible in internal view. Fixed.
- Small adjustements in the DemoCap main chute deployement (lift coefficients).
- The Centaur guidance program was behaving weirdly after SECO. Fixed.
- More realistic engine ignition sequence implemented. A 60 seconds ullage burn is required before ignition. Press "B" to initiate the sequence. There is a minimum burn time of 10 seconds (information from AtlasV User Manual). The Centaur can be re-ignited.
- More informations are displayed on the Centaur "HUD".
- You can now disengage the internal guidance program after stage 1/2 separation, and switch to manual control (press "O" when the Centaur stage is selected). Can't be reverted.
- Numerous bugs concerning the Centaur RCS fixed. Roll channel is now controlled by thrust vectoring, as it is explicitely stated in the AtlasV User's Manual for the Centaur-DE (2 engines) version. Only the 1-engine version needs RCS for roll control.

Alpha-testing advice : try to "defeat" the addon, by doing things that seem impredictible. Bugs often arise from unpredicted cases, and it's hard to imagine everything users can do. ;)

Edit : just made a pretty successful DemoCap flight, there is a good deorbit opportunity at orbit #2. Reentry 4.2 maxG, landing coordinates 125.90°W ; 26.97°N, roughly 1000 km away in the Pacific from Vandenberg, seems a nice splashdown spot to me. :)

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Regarding LC-41, this new video that has came out shows the crew access tower that will be used for DreamChaser and CST-100 launches, might be nice to have a way for the crew to get in!

ky

Reaction score
Im trying to find pics of the pad so we have something to work with, here are a few I found so far:

index.php

index.php

^------ Seems like a concept that uses LC-39B, this pic is from last year, so I wouldnt be surprised if that isn't being used. It also shows an elongated adapter, so I don't know if she should make it longer, or keep it the way it is.

A vid that was made last year that I haven't seen til now:

Another CST vid I dont recall seeing:
This also has an elongated adapter

I can build the tower shown in the second pic, but I need more specifics.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can build the tower shown in the second pic, but I need more specifics.
That's the now repurposed SLS Mobile Launcher (ML). It used to belong to Ares 1 but after it was cancelled, there was some time before SLS got announced and acquired the owner-less ML. So if that were to be used, Boeing would have to shell out the funds themselves to construct a second ML that could be used with the Atlas V.

ky

Reaction score
That's the now repurposed SLS Mobile Launcher (ML). It used to belong to Ares 1 but after it was cancelled, there was some time before SLS got announced and acquired the owner-less ML. So if that were to be used, Boeing would have to shell out the funds themselves to construct a second ML that could be used with the Atlas V.
I meant the first pic, my bad.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
The docking "tower" and "elongated" adapters mentioned in the videos are the original PMAs with SCS (Soft Capture Systems) modifications, I studied enough of these things getting the SCA (Soft Capture Adapter) and CBM to I-LIDS (International-Low Impact Docking System) adapters right for my Gateway Station. Nothing new here, just an expected modification. Someone was also doing the research in another thread. I remember URUMPE made a notable contribution to the discussion.

ky

Reaction score
WIP
TVaMx.png

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Also, Im getting a CTD when trying to playback a flight I previously recorded. Once the playback scenario opened, I still had to press "O" to start the AP. Orbiter CTD'd when it reached T-0.1 seconds in the countdown.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You guys should check out the Atlas V User Guide from ULA - it has lots of information about the rocket, performance and the launch site.

Done, I've quoted it over and over :tiphat:

Also, Im getting a CTD when trying to playback a flight I previously recorded. Once the playback scenario opened, I still had to press "O" to start the AP. Orbiter CTD'd when it reached T-0.1 seconds in the countdown.

For now I can't promise anything concerning the playback feature. I don't really understand the mechanics behind it and I never use it.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

I just found a goldmine, the publications of ULA :

http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/pages/Education_PublishedPapers.shtml

In the Human Rating category, you have a .pdf where the launchpads modification is discussed in detail with 3D concept views.

Must read.