Project D3D11Client Development

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here's another big VC item. It seems like VC meshes are rendered over other meshes essentially hiding them from view. I don't know if you can see it in the D3D11Client screenshot but if compare the two I think you'll see the problem.
That's exactly what's going on - VC meshed are drawn on top of "regular" ones.

After playing around with things I have gotten an impression that the D3D11Client is much darker than either the default D3D7 or D3D9Client. Even local lights which are plenty powerful otherwise lose much of their power and brightness in the D3D11Client.

Also on the whole VC darkness issue: Could it have something do with the emissive material settings? That is how VCs are "lit up", they make use of very high emissive settings. It almost seems like that isn't used on meshes that are loaded as VC meshes.
I've fixed emissive lighting - pls take latest and try it out.
But I think using emissive settings for VC is fundamentally wrong - unless they are actual "real" lights, they shoud be lit up by local lights. I'm working on adding local lighting support so it will be implemented soon.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's exactly what's going on - VC meshed are drawn on top of "regular" ones.
Isn't this wrong? Both the DX7 and D3D9Client works differently and draws the DFI pallet mesh on top of the VC mesh. I believe you are leaving out the MESHVIS_EXTPASS parameter when drawing meshes. This causes the meshes to be drawn in a separate external pass which allows other meshes to obscure it.

See page 467 of the Orbiter API Reference Manual for a description of this.

I've fixed emissive lighting - pls take latest and try it out.
But I think using emissive settings for VC is fundamentally wrong - unless they are actual "real" lights, they shoud be lit up by local lights. I'm working on adding local lighting support so it will be implemented soon.[/QUOTE]
I agree but since local lights are pretty new, using emissive materials are still the default way of lighting up VC meshes.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Ok, I was trying out the client today after Nvidia finally came out with a beta driver for my card(630M) and what can I say :)...it looks beautiful especially the new atmosphere.

I only had some missing textures a few times when I was trying to play the Brighton Beach scenario which I have shown in the video. Otherwise frame rates are good(about 130 for me on a laptop) with full PP and 2xAA.

I would love to have those links to the height maps so I can start testing out terrain.

By the way is the faint flickering fixable.

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wanted to test the D3D11 client, but my computer still runs Windows XP and the video card doesn't support DirectX 10. So, I thought about my parents computer, which is much more recent. I installed Orbiter [v. 111105], DirectX June 2010 update and the client (node 5583c998327f9eacacd399373046701f60bb87e4). However, when I click on the "Video" tab, I get a "Device creation error : 0x887A0004, meaning that my hardware doesn't support DirectX 10 (see http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=331996&highlight=Device+creation+failed#post331996 ). Starting a scenario only creates a blank window.

But I'm sure that the computer does support DirectX 10. Running DxDiag reveals that it supports up to DirectX 10.1. The computer is a Toshiba Stallite P300, with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You need to have DirectX 2011 for working. And for that, youmust have Win7 (I thinl, I am not really sure).

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wanted to test the D3D11 client, but my computer still runs Windows XP and the video card doesn't support DirectX 10. So, I thought about my parents computer, which is much more recent. I installed Orbiter [v. 111105], DirectX June 2010 update and the client (node 5583c998327f9eacacd399373046701f60bb87e4). However, when I click on the "Video" tab, I get a "Device creation error : 0x887A0004, meaning that my hardware doesn't support DirectX 10 (see http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=331996&highlight=Device+creation+failed#post331996 ). Starting a scenario only creates a blank window.

But I'm sure that the computer does support DirectX 10. Running DxDiag reveals that it supports up to DirectX 10.1. The computer is a Toshiba Stallite P300, with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650.
Did you mean this version: https://bitbucket.org/asmi/ovp/changeset/5583c998327f ? The node ID you've posted is a little bit too long to be right :)

Now about the error - what OS version do you have on that computer? It has to be Win Vista or Win7 - there is no DX10+ support in WinXP - even if hardware does support that DX version.

Bibi Uncle

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry for the node number, I just copied the whole line from the Hg archive file. You have the right one. The computer is running Windows Vista SP2.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry for the node number, I just copied the whole line from the Hg archive file. You have the right one. The computer is running Windows Vista SP2.
Can you please post EXACT message that you're getting?

Bibi Uncle

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Device creation failed.
Error code : 0x887A0004

Last edited:

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does it have a "switchable graphics card." That might cause some problems.

Bibi Uncle

Addon Developer
Reaction score
As far as I know, no. The video tab refers to "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650Pilote plug and play générique" (the Windows installation is in French) as the device. Yeah, I forgot to mention that the when error messsage is sent, the video tab appears after I press "OK", without any problem.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As far as I know, no. The video tab refers to "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650Pilote plug and play générique" (the Windows installation is in French) as the device. Yeah, I forgot to mention that the when error messsage is sent, the video tab appears after I press "OK", without any problem.
Can you please check video driver version and update it if it's not the latest one?

Bibi Uncle

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I downloaded the ATI Display Driver for Windows Vista on Toshiba website (ATI website does not have one, it refers to manufacturer), and it says that my driver is already updated. I repaired them using the installer in order to recopy all the files and the problem still persists.

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any chance to have HDR lighting enable/disable option somewhere in config?

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any chance to have HDR lighting enable/disable option somewhere in config?
No, it's not possible now - I've reworked whole engine so it's now HDR-aware, but disabling HDR is impossible now.

BTW - I'm sorry for such a sudden disappearing from the forum - it's just real life calling me back :) I will get back as soon as I can. So stay tuned!

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just as a heads-up - I've recently assembled a brand new workhorse consisting of two GeForce 680 GTX video cards in SLI, 3930K CPU, 32 Gb of RAM and a pair of SSDs, all of that paired to three 27" ASUS VG278 3D-Monitors. I've managed to make D3D11Client to run in 5760x1080 in full 3D - oh my, guys, I can't find right words to explain how amazing it is! Allthough there are problems with single-screen SLI (and I'll try to figure it out once NVIDIA's dev site is back up and running so I can find docs for SLI), a full-up 3xFullHD in pure 3D seems to be working good. This system even manages to put out solid FPS despite 16x AA and such an insane load. Also I've tried using 64x SLI AA for a single monitor - "oh my God!" are the only words I was able to utter when I've seen that in action :lol:

BTW profiling has shown that the client is PURELY GPU-bound even once you go as high in specs as 2x680 GTX - so that is very good thing! If we'll somehow manage to decouple 3D rendering and put it into a separate thread, that would allow of tremendous inscrease in simulation accuracy!

I'm going to post some full-size 5760x1080 screenshots tonight so you can get an idea of what it looks like, but I can tell you it's something you've gotta see yourself!

I still haven't sorted out all RL issues that pulled me out of development, but I'll likely get back by the beginning of September.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm looking foward to the "self-shadows" version. Will incredebly push the immersion level up. Great work done ! :thumbup:
However, the last version (I think, this is the 0.4.a.24) is a bit too much color-saturated, and the bloom effect has completly disappeared !

Last edited:

Frankynov

Reaction score
Wow! that's an incredible improvement ! (and a damn big screen you have ! :p)
I can't wait to do low moon orbits with the LEM and this terrain :)