New Release D3D9Client Development

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You can compile it from the sources without the /arch:SSE2 switch.

Athlon XP doesn't support SSE2, only SSE.

As mentioned above, if you have Visual Studio / C++ Express, you can recompile D3D9Client from sources with /arch:SSE instead of /arch:SSE2.

Yeah, the good old problem. :lol:

Some Athlon XP CPUs should have SSE2, the switch to SSE2 was right in the Athlon XP series. When I needed a new MB + CPU, I had only SSE as option.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Athlon XP doesn't support SSE2, only SSE.

As mentioned above, if you have Visual Studio / C++ Express, you can recompile D3D9Client from sources with /arch:SSE instead of /arch:SSE2.

OK, thanks. I will try this later. I don't have VS2008 installed at the moment.

Bish0p

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok how stupid am I, since I have to ask how to install this? I assumed I would drop the extracted files into the base game, I just installed. I don't see any directories, with the names in the dx9 version, that match the base game I installed. So Idk where to extract or install these files..lol. Just a zip file so there is no installer I assume. Thanks. XD

AHA!, Reading back I see "Did you extract all the files from the D3D9ClientRC44.zip archive into Orbiter"?
So I will extract it to that location then. :)

Another AHA moment.. This game does not install to program files, it installs to my documents..lol..

Getting audio to work is driving me nutz though.. Run cmd prompt and find what directory where? huh? lol..
Is there a way I can just copy some file and paste it somewhere? or a directory? Something I can understand? lol..

Last edited:

Turbo

Reaction score
Getting audio to work is driving me nutz though.. Run cmd prompt and find what directory where? huh? lol..
Is there a way I can just copy some file and paste it somewhere? or a directory? Something I can understand? lol..

Easy way to get audio to work, without using symbolic link, is to copy your sound folder from the root directory, and paste it in the Modules/server folder. Dont delete it from the root folder, but mirror it to modules/server/sound. Worked for me great before the symbolic link method.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Doesn't the latest version have the abilty to automatically create the symbolic links?

Or you could just wait it out for a bit. The new version of Orbiter Sound is fully NG compatible and doesn't require dynamic links.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Easy way to get audio to work, without using symbolic link, is to copy your sound folder from the root directory, and paste it in the Modules/server folder. Dont delete it from the root folder, but mirror it to modules/server/sound. Worked for me great before the symbolic link method.
BUt with this method you must re-copoy the Sound folder all times you install an add-on using Orbiter Sound to update the folder.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
BUt with this method you must re-copoy the Sound folder all times you install an add-on using Orbiter Sound to update the folder.

Along with config/spacecraft :yes:

Turbo

Reaction score

Accualy the only thing you have to move everytime you add something, is the mp3 folder. All other sounds read fine from the root sound folder you dont even have to mirror them. Only the sound/mp3 folder needs to be mirrored (the folder with your background music). :thumbup:

And yes Donamy is correct about the spacecraft/configs

Luckily Jarmonik has added the automatic symbolic linking in the newer versions of d3d9 (for vista / windows 7 atleast, im not sure about XP and symbolic links)

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dont try the auto linking for XP. You need to do something different for XP. The info is somewhere in this thread.

Matrix Aran

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed problems with Wideawake International's ground meshes since upgrading to rc44?

Here's what I mean:

orbiterbase meshes.jpg

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We're slowly starting to test IMS on DX9 client, and there seems to be trouble with the panel.

First off, it is impossible to load an older scenario. The log file starts to produce these messages:

Code:
!! ERROR !! Target and source is the same surface. If this is a texture then specify (IMS\IMSmainpanel.dds) in D3D9Client.cfg InSurfaceBlit
D3D9ClientSurface::CopyRect() Failed

Lots of them, of course. It is standard practice for orbiter vessels to have their panel bitmaps and the actual panel area in the same texture (all tutorials do it that way), and it's no problem in orbiter itself, so I'd consider this a bug. I take it from the message that I have to specify the texture somewhere in a config file, but surely there must be ways around forcing the user to edit a config when he wants to load an older scenario?

If the vessel is not loaded from scenario but created by scenario editor, there is no crash, however the panel doesn't show up at all. I can't say wheather this is because of the same problem or because the client can't read DXT5 compression (32 bit), but since creation of texture surfaces from a dds file is a default feature of DirectX I would expect the former.

jimblah

Reaction score
D3D9 add-on compatibility

SpaceElevator4 works nicely and looks beautiful. Some hi-res surface tiles for it would be icing on the cake. The Base jumping scenario works fine with Paracone, etc. Moon base Alpha Expansion Pack 4 with Eagle Enhancement 1 is great too. Will post a couple of screenshots...

Last edited:

Marg

Reaction score
Client really is good. It would be good also to introduce sun glare...

Screamer7

Reaction score
Mouse jitters in external view.

In the D3D9 client when in external view, the mouse behave erratically.
When I press the right mouse button and rotate my view around an object, it moved in a erratic way.
In the vanilla orbiter installation the rotation is smooth, so it is not my mouse.

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know if we're talking about the same issue, but my installation also have an erratic camera mouse movement. It seems like there's a delay between my mouse movement and the result on the screen. I thought it was caused by my old computer, but maybe it's not, since you mentioned it.

If I remeber correctly, it was worst when the camera was facing the Earth. Maybe it's a tile issue?

Screamer7

Reaction score
I don't know if we're talking about the same issue, but my installation also have an erratic camera mouse movement. It seems like there's a delay between my mouse movement and the result on the screen. I thought it was caused by my old computer, but maybe it's not, since you mentioned it.

If I remeber correctly, it was worst when the camera was facing the Earth. Maybe it's a tile issue?

I have also noticed this issue which usually happens when in windowed mode. It was a lot worse with my old GPU but it still happens a little.

I did some tests.
With the XR 2 on the ground at Cape Canaveral the erratic movement is much less than in orbit near the ISS. When facing away from Earth, it is less erratic. But as soon as the Earth comes into view it is getting worse.
I then moved far away from Earth and it still happens a lot, especially as the Sun come into view.

It can't be a FPS issue as my frame rate is greatly increased with the D3D9 client as with the vanilla D3D 7 installation.
I also tried it with labels turned on and off, and that have no significance influence.
I also tried it with the D3D11 client.
It is far less noticeable in above mentioned tests, although it is still there from time to time.
My PC is a Intel Core 2 Duo E 4400 with 2 g ram.
An nVidia 9600 GT graphics card is installed, which is Direct X 10 compatible.

For me it is a minor issue, but can get annoying some times.

The D3D9 client for me is more stable than the plain Orbiter installation.
I must also take this opportunity to thank all your people for the hard work and long hours you spend in making the D3D client working so good.:tiphat:

The Arrow Freighter test:
It is much worse with the Arrow Freighter. My FPS is 422 fps for the autoland autopilot scenario.
In the earth scenario "cheat- atmospheric flight, I get a average of 200 fps.
When rotating the Arrow in external view, the erratic behavior is terrible.

Last edited: