New Release D3D9Client Development

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are discussions about where to host the project, still ongoing AFAIK. Personally I'd have preferred a specialized host (like GitHub) over hosting it here, but it seems that things are evolving towards that. Maybe soon the bug report feature of Orbiter Forum will also be used for D3D9.

In the meantime, this remains the best place to report bugs. But as the developers are doing this in our free time, it can be a little unresponsive from time to time...

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How can I submit a bug-report for the D3D9 client? When I use D3D9 Client in conjunction with the Dragonfly, I get an error when I move in the cockpit to the left panel (Ctrl - Left Arrow). I already made a post on this forum about it, but other than a confirmation from another user he got the error as well, there has been no response. I've been looking for a bug-report-functionality on the website for the D3D9 client development, but I'm unable to find the correct place. Can anybody point me in the right direction, or is this the best place?

This bug is not exactly of d3d9client itself. Dragon fly isn't really compatible with Orbiter 2016.
Martins hasn't updated dragonfly yet to work fully and properly in 2016. There are bugs with navigating the instrument panels. Works fine in glass cockpit mode though.

Kinneas

Reaction score
New here. Trying to download D3D9.

Google blocks the .zip as malicious.

No problems with others so far.

PoiterToi

Reaction score
Well, I get no error with the regular version of Orbiter. The dragonfly works fine with the regular version for me, even the radar is working again. But the D3D9client can't even display the left panel because of this error. I hope eventually there will be a fix for this, because in my opinion there is no replacement for the Dragonfly when station building, what with the radar and the shifting center of gravity.

That said, if it works with glass cockpit, I'll try that, see if I can work with it :)

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Most addons compiled for/with Orbiter 2006 API do not work with graphics clients without a minor code changes and rebuild.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Beta 25.2 for Orbiter Beta r.65

The work with a next generation SketchPad interface is not yet completed but here is a new build containing some minor improvements. Sky color should be a little more realistic now (at-least it is on my display). This build also contains SolarLiner's lens-flare, however the sun/mesh occlusion check is disabled due to performance issues. We need to find a better way to do the check. Night-lights shouldn't have a blue dirt anymore. Also some other bug fixes has been made.

I was hoping to get more features in this build but I just haven't had the time.

Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• D3D9ClientBeta25_2-forRev65.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 51

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I've tried different compatibility options, but this release always gives me the
"Orbiter has stopped working..." message (on Orbiter2016 + Win10 + GTX970)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've tried different compatibility options, but this release always gives me the
All fine here, only difference is Win 7 instead of Win 10.

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Sure you are trying this build with Orbiter beta r65? It's not for orbiter 2016 release

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just tried the latest build for the first time on r66 (been doing most of my testing with the release version of Orbiter 2016), and I can't seem to get the microtexturing working. Has the naming convention of the files changed?

---------- Post added 12-29-16 at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-28-16 at 10:15 PM ----------

Also, shadow casting on the surface seems to not work anymore, both for vessels and bases.

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
It seems shadow casting for bases are not working on both D3D9Client2016-R1 and D3D9ClientBeta25_2-forRev65. Vessel shadows and microtextures are fine.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Strange. I don't get vessel shadows on R66, and my microtextures don't show up. What are your microtextures for the moon named like?

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It seems vessel shadows do not show up only on the moon... I can see them on both Earth and Mars.

Confirmed. Now that seems really strange.

These are the microtextures for Orbiter 2016. It was included in MicroTextures.zip.

That's the same package I'm using, so maybe somebody else should check this with R66.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I found a bug: the HUD mesh group is being rendered (at least it is illuminated when the light is from behind), even though it has the FLAG 2 entry as recommended by the Orbiter manual.
Also the horizon haze seems to be so bright (basically white) that the HUD can't be seen, even at full brightness (could be related to the previous issue).

(I'm using all the latest versions of everything)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I found a bug: the HUD mesh group is being rendered (at least it is illuminated when the light is from behind), even though it has the FLAG 2 entry as recommended by the Orbiter manual.
Also the horizon haze seems to be so bright (basically white) that the HUD can't be seen, even at full brightness (could be related to the previous issue).

(I'm using all the latest versions of everything)
This is the problems that GLS is talking about: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=550159&postcount=386

Fixerger

Reaction score
I had virus warning from firefox itself about download from https://d3d9client.codeplex.com/ of D3D9Client2016-R1.zip
Checked it with virustotal, and there was just 1 possible false positive. No idea why it is marked as bad.

rstr

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
D3D9-Beta25_2-for-Rev65 problem with 3D stereoscopic view

Hi. Coming back after long absence since my minor involvement in Jarmo's (et al.) "microtexture" initiative, I upgraded to Orbiter2016BetaR65 (build 161124) + D3D9-Beta25_2-for-Rev65 + Hi-Res texture pack on a Windows10Pro-64bit machine with DirectX12, NVidia GTX1080, and Asus VG248QE at 120Hz 3DVision with 1920x1080 pixels (or 3 * VG248QE / 2 * GTX1080 / 5850x1080 pixels).

Problem:
I cannot run Orbiter_ng in stereoscopic-3D anymore, neither in True or "normal" Full Screen mode. Otherwise, Orbiter_ng is running fine, without crashes.

Steps taken to analyze:
1) The D3D9 log with "verbose" output (and the Orbiter log) does not show any faults on startup, aside from a [Not Compiled With nVidia API] note.
2) When running other stereo-3D applications like NVidia's 3D Vision Photo Viewer, or Microsoft FSX flight simulator, stereo-3D is displayed correctly even when the apps run immediately after exiting Orbiter_ng.
3) Rebooting does not change Orbiter_ng's failure on stereo-3D.
4) Disabling all modules except D3D9 won't bring up stereo-3D either.
5) An additional installation of the non-beta Orbiter2016 (build160828) with D3D9Client2016 R1 shows the same problem (a [Not Compiled With nVidia API] note is contained in that D3D9 log as well).
6) In all cases described, the display monitors report running at 120 Hz with Orbiter_ng as essential for NVidia's stereo-3D.
7) GDI compatibility mode does not change Orbiter_ng's failure on stereo-3D.
8) DXDIAG does not report any installation faults.

I'd appreciate any hints on how to further analyze the cause of this stereo-3D failure.

Thanks in advance - Rob

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Steps taken to analyze:
1) The D3D9 log with "verbose" output (and the Orbiter log) does not show any faults on startup, aside from a [Not Compiled With nVidia API] note.

The NVIDIA API provides access to its Stereoscopic 3D features. One has to download the required NVIDIA libraries and compile D3D9 with them. As it is not a featured used with a majority of users, for development purposes it is easier to just compile without the NVIDIA libraries that would enable the 3D Stereoscopic features.

The version you downloaded wasn't compiled with the NVIDIA libraries and doesn't support 3D stereoscopic output. To my knowledge there is no recent version that has it.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Yes I can confirm the firefox message. So can I ignore the warning?
Every step of the process to making a release version is scripted (for automation's sake) and available in the source code.
The script trunk/Utils/D3D9Client/build_release.bat is run, which compiles the project and zips the required files with 7-zip. The resulting archive is then uploaded as release.

That is to say, you can go check yourself if you want to, but I don't believe there is any real threat with the package.