New Release D3D9Client Development

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This might be a bit out of the left field but, is there anyway to generate 3D exhausts from the existing 2D textures? I really think that would add to the immersion, instead of being flat 2D images.

Attachments

• 1602278919649.png
    1602278919649.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This might be a bit out of the left field but, is there anyway to generate 3D exhausts from the existing 2D textures? I really think that would add to the immersion, instead of being flat 2D images.
That would be very nice. The logical extension of this will be rendered engine exhaust heat, smoke and flames. I guess it could be done in D3D9, more work for Jarmonik.

Marg

Reaction score
I would like to have some local light shadows...

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Let me ask about 2010 d3d9. it seems the HUD doesn't display the info. Is there a setting?
ura4638.jpg

GLzgS2H.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What is weird. Is a lot of vessels the HUD messages work. But the Moon Base Alpha stuff it doesn't. Also some keys don't work,.... . They all didn't work then I would say D3D9 was the issue. But I have some that work. No clue

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The so-called real life have been keeping me busy lately, so, haven't had much time for development.

As discussed here, I have a HUD which renders clearly in MOGE but only very faintly in your Dx9 client.
As per Urwumpe's suggestion in that thread, would it be possible to include some HUD rendering options in your client which may solve the issue?

I don't recall seeing a problem like that before. Any other SC4 things having the same problem ?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Been trying to run Terrain Toolbox ( https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/terrain-toolkit.37665/ ) with latest D3D9 R4.11 and no luck.
It crashes to desktop. Tried all the options under gcGUI Mode, no luck...

It would need to be recompiled but sadly it's in broken state since I started working on elevation/mesh import options which got interrupted by some other higher priority issue and the upgrade was left unfinished.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What is weird. Is a lot of vessels the HUD messages work. But the Moon Base Alpha stuff it doesn't. Also some keys don't work,.... . They all didn't work then I would say D3D9 was the issue. But I have some that work. No clue

There is "Enable GDI Overlay" option for Orbiter 2016 that might fix the issue. There is also "Enable GDI Compatibility" for Orbiter 2010 but it's possible that it's not operational because the GDI and DirectX doesn't work well together.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. What is confusing. It seems the Moonbase Alpha vessel react that way. I have some that the display is there. No changes to d3d9.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Quick question: textured mesh group vs untextured (TEXTURE 0), any difference in performance?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Quick question: textured mesh group vs untextured (TEXTURE 0), any difference in performance?

Not sure if I understand the question. It should be obvious that rendering with a texture is slower especially if normal/reflection map is used.

Reactions: GLS

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Not sure if I understand the question. It should be obvious that rendering with a texture is slower especially if normal/reflection map is used.
Yes, that was my thinking, but I just wanted to hear it from the experts. Thanks! :cheers:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

This might not be the answer you were looking for, but what about doing it with particles and a light source/emissivity inside the engine bell. if you calculate the locations of your oblique shocks in your exhaust on the fly, and make your exhaust spread out as your \( \frac{P_e}{P_a} \) ratio increases.

Trekkie

Starfleet Head of Ship Design
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i found a bug when i want to load my upcoming Star Trek universe add-on into the D3d9 client.. i use Custom mesh as a Planet which represents a Sun, now the problem i have is that it dissapears when i zoom out and it does not appear untill i am very close.. i dont know if this is fixable, i would like to continue development in the D3D9 client.. but this prohibits me from doing so.. when i have the time i will upload some example pictures.

hope somebody can help/resolve this issue with Custom Mesh planets

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
this is an experimental solar system rather:), on the contrary, it won't work without D3d9 if you used a blender, you are limited only by the speed of the computer please provide a screenshot or more information

Trekkie

Starfleet Head of Ship Design
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ek3Fmrb.png

This is the Sun Proxima Centauri as a .MSH in the Normal D3D7 Orbiter 2016, i do use Blender to export them to a .MSH file

And this is the same Sun .MSH in the D3D9 Client

it like dissapears and when you get very close it returns to normal.. i dont know if its because of my mesh or if its a client bug..

9IeBCaS.png