Idea Deep Space habitat idea

Hartmann

Reaction score
An interesting Deep Space habitat using iss components for long duration missions to asteroids , moon and mars .

http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/telecon/Smitherman_3-14-12/Smitherman_3-14-12.pdf

Z322.jpg

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I posted this in Feb 2010.:cool:

Attachments

• LunarISS.jpg
    LunarISS.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 117

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is a lot of info/detail on that pdf. I not sure if an interior could be modeled. But if someone wants to build it I'll help

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Renewed interest

Is somebody still working on this? Would be a pretty addition to Orbiter, since we are not having any such Deep Space Habitat or similar available, unless using modular solutions.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I am working on a SkylabII for the SLS.

BUt willing to help if the others want to be build

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I think the individual components are.

It looks like a custom build of ISS parts.

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
Is somebody still working on this? Would be a pretty addition to Orbiter, since we are not having any such Deep Space Habitat or similar available, unless using modular solutions.

I have an idea for a deep space (beyond Mars) space station. I 'built' one around Europa in the SSTV-01 mission #1 that I put in my Blog over the last 14 months and will be 'building' a 2nd one at Titan in mission #2 starting next year and a 3rd one at Pluto sometime in 2016 once the Titan mission is complete. I don't have any pictures of it because it's based on the 'incomplete' Lunar Station which I am still 'building' 1 XR5 mission at a time in a 100km lunar orbit.

I'm using IMS 1.0 RC9 plus an add-on for additional modules (I don't recall the name of it) for modules. IMS 1.0, even though it has its bugs, is a VERY nice system for building space stations just about anywhere. Building ships with it is a little more difficult, but it's fantastic for designing space stations, from Mercury orbit to Pluto orbit. It has a basic heating/cooling model, power, food, oxygen, and habitation space are all tracked. It has solar arrays for stations close to the sun, and various sized nuclear plants for those stations that are to far away to use solar arrays.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
What I am more interested in is getting a stack to Mars with the Orion MPCV and a mars lander. It would save lots of money, more than Constellation, but the two big problems are length of habitability and propulsion. The top is a 60 day config, but what about 3 years? How is NASA going to pull that off?

Also, Donamy, what booster is that on the back? I have been trying to create stack's with the Reusable Nuclear Shuttle and the NTR.