Update Deepstar development

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
Would users prefer a separate sol system for Deepstar scenarios?

This is what I've done in previous versions and means the Deepstar bases won't turn up in your non-Deepstar scenarios.

Or is it a non issue and something that should be left to users to set up themselves if they want?

This second option saves time in getting it out the door.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about using scenario contexts for that? You can tell Orbiter to look for bases in different folders depending on the context you state in the scenario file.

This way, you are not messing with textures and other planet modding, but can use different sets of bases.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
What about using scenario contexts for that? You can tell Orbiter to look for bases in different folders depending on the context you state in the scenario file.

This way, you are not messing with textures and other planet modding, but can use different sets of bases.

I can do that, but it means an extra cfg edit for the user.

The alt-sol approach offers a plug-and-play separation and I'm wary of getting people to do too much themselves. Someone will complain it's broken without reading the manual :D

But it needs a base.cfg edit for the night textures anyway so I may as well specify both at the outset.

I've spent the last week TransXing around the system with Deepstar 3.0 and I can report it's basically not broken ...

Thursday might be the new Tuesday.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thursday might be the new Tuesday.

You know, there is always a new Tuesday, no hurry. Better make sure the release works fine.

AAAAND:

I think, if somebody wants to do spaceflight, editing some CFG files does not harm at all... But yet, it would be easier, if we could apply patches to the CFG files by a tool...toooool..... excuse me.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
It's out:

deepstar3.0.jpg

Let me know if I've screwed something up! It's been a long time between uploads.

Funny thing - in final testing I was thrown by the sound effect of clinking glasses and laughter before I saw Dan's public health advisory. I'm off to defy it now .... :D

Happy New Year everyone. Bring on 2021!

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The best things are definitely worth the wait. That looks absolutely beautiful.

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just installed it on my Orbiter 2016 installation. Unfourtantly, it crashes when I open any scenario. Log is attached. Seems like messing meshes.
I followed all steps in the manual.

EDIT: Mesh errors are gone now after making the symbolic link (I thought I needed to make it only once, but it turned out to be every install), but it still crashes. I attached the new log.

Attachments

• Orbiter.txt
    10.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Just installed it on my Orbiter 2016 installation. Unfourtantly, it crashes when I open any scenario. Log is attached. Seems like messing meshes.
I followed all steps in the manual.

EDIT: Mesh errors are gone now after making the symbolic link (I thought I needed to make it only once, but it turned out to be every install), but it still crashes. I attached the new log.

I see two D3D9 errors which apply to another add-on:

D3D9: ERROR: Planet 0x2301F2E0 = 'Quaoar' not cataloged D3D9: ERROR: Planet 0x23021100 = 'Weywot' not cataloged

I don't know if that's throwing it?

I did test the archive against a fresh install with only the latest d3d9 client and Orbiter Sound 5.0 and it worked here.

Can anyone else confirm it's working for them?

Pioneer

Reaction score
I see two D3D9 errors which apply to another add-on:

D3D9: ERROR: Planet 0x2301F2E0 = 'Quaoar' not cataloged D3D9: ERROR: Planet 0x23021100 = 'Weywot' not cataloged

I don't know if that's throwing it?

I did test the archive against a fresh install with only the latest d3d9 client and Orbiter Sound 5.0 and it worked here.

Can anyone else confirm it's working for them?
Works just fine for me after going through the instructions. Although, I am having a separate issue regarding the two Mars bases...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-31 13.40.53.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-31 13.40.53.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2020-12-31 13.39.03.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-31 13.39.03.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 23

predattak

Reaction score
Works just fine for me after going through the instructions. Although, I am having a separate issue regarding the two Mars bases...
Yes i have the same problem with the bases. There is also another problem with Aerolander's bay doors sometimes not completely closing on direct x 9 client, some optimization problems here and there .. .small things that can be fixed in time.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website

Yikes. Is it possible you have made some change to your mars.cfg, or are using an older version of d3d9?

I have the bases appearing correctly on a fresh install with only Orbiter Sound 5.0 and the latest d3d9 client installed.

They also appear correctly In my development installation which uses the hi-res textures, but has made no change to the mars.cfg other than what's detailed in the manual.

Yes i have the same problem with the bases. There is also another problem with Aerolander's bay doors sometimes not completely closing on direct x 9 client, some optimization problems here and there .. .small things that can be fixed in time.

The bay door glitch is just a spacecraft.dll issue. It's always been that way unfortunately - sometimes animations don't return to a perfect initial state. It tends to be worse under time acceleration but can occur under normal time too.

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The bay door glitch is just a spacecraft.dll issue. It's always been that way unfortunately - sometimes animations don't return to a perfect initial state. It tends to be worse under time acceleration but can occur under normal time too.

Does enabling absolute animation handling fix it?

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was able to find the issue: I used a custom solar system that renamed Vesta to 4 Vesta. I just renamed all Vesta in scenario files to 4 Vesta and it works great.
One issue is that I can't use the MFD buttons in virtual cockpit mode in all Deepstar vessels. The buttons are just blank.

1609474818336.png

I don't have the base issue @Pioneer and @predattak have. Maybe they forget to enable terrain flattening in D3D9 settings?

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For the animation and Spacecraft problems, what about making the vessels in code instead of Spacecraft? I think I can do that for you. Would you like that?

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
For the animation and Spacecraft problems, what about making the vessels in code instead of Spacecraft? I think I can do that for you. Would you like that?

Yes, please do. I think @Urwumpe had some ideas too - maybe compare notes. I'm really happy for anyone to help develop this.

The VC is limited to what spacecraft.dll can do - it's just for eye candy basically. But the underlying mesh is there so with code and the right textures the MFDs could be interactive.

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Fyi. The animation issue is not specific to Spacecraft.

predattak

Reaction score
@predattak does it provide a solution for you?
Yes enabling absolute animation seems to work however i only tested this once. I'll see if it happens again but i think it did the trick. :)

I don't have the base issue @Pioneer and @predattak have. Maybe they forget to enable terrain flattening in D3D9 settings?
I have terrain flattening ON. Those artificial mountains are part of how terrain flattening works. Without it turned ON the bases are just on the ground but of course .. uneven ground.