Discussion Default bases surface tiles

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there any way I could acquire the packages posted previously? (Africa, North America, etc.) The dropbox account says that the file is blocked from downloading.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Here's Olympus using the tiles from Hlynkacg after color and alpha adjusted:
130128194934gl02.jpg

Here are all the bases, with all the previous files on the same place to avoid confusion.

Africa: http://ge.tt/5R4TOtW/v/0?c
North America: http://ge.tt/1fzgOtW/v/0?c
Europe, South America, Australia: http://ge.tt/9onjtHW/v/0?c

Have fun :) !

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Here are the Asia bases. Some bases cover a large area with multiple runways and landing pads.

Asia: http://ge.tt/2SOf2MX/v/0?c

So it's 99% finished! The two of-earth bases are already done and the docs (quite simple) are also close to completion.

So the next step is really to see if this is going onto OH as a single release OR/AND to the Orbiter distribution (I have no clue of what to do for that to happen, though)

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Are you going to put the completed packages on Orbit Hangar once you are done?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Yes, already contacted Martin!

As far as I'm concerned, I'd release all the bases on OH.
But I don't know if it that would cause any problems regarding the donation to Orbiter. There might be something to do with licenses for example.

So let's wait!

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I've decided to add 2 object to Brighton Beach. I think that it gives scale to the base and helps it blend with the terrain. I don't see that it would cause any problems.
130204225448gl01.jpg

Perhaps I can add something like that for Olympus. Solar panels on Mars make less sense than on the Moon though...

I'll indeed upload the complete package to OH :cheers:.
Besides wrapping up Olympus, I only need to put some touches onto the docs regarding image sources and such.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I've decided to add 2 object to Brighton Beach. I think that it gives scale to the base and helps it blend with the terrain. I don't see that it would cause any problems.
130204225448gl01.jpg

Perhaps I can add something like that for Olympus. Solar panels on Mars make less sense than on the Moon though...

Besides wrapping up Olympus, I only need to put some touches onto the docs regarding image sources and such.

May I suggest adding another Cylinder object, much shorter than the primary tower but much wider, at the end of the tram line so the train has a station to pull into ;) and moving the solar panels to the south a bit to make room.

As for olympus, the only thing I would add at the moment would be a very long, very wide, runway. (again positioned to the south of the base by a km or two)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
130204225448gl01.jpg

Perhaps the base could be moved a little too? It would help if Brighton was sitting inside of the crater, instead of inside of the rim. Orulex looks a little bizarre with how deep Brighton is in the terrain.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Perhaps the base could be moved a little too? It would help if Brighton was sitting inside of the crater, instead of inside of the rim. Orulex looks a little bizarre with how deep Brighton is in the terrain.

Can't move the base itself without breaking existing scenarios. The pads at least need to remain in thier current positions.

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hard to see in this photo, but hangar3 makes for a good train depot

train_hangar3.jpg

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, the pads can't be moved because it would break many scenarios.
Orulex can be configured to not display craters at bases, but then you will need to elevate all the base objects to match the terrain. It works (kind of :) ) but it would need to be done for all the bases! So it won't happen ;-)

I'll add an hangar to the rail and move the panels a little bit.

I can put the runway in Olympus, but to be effective for horizontal launches it needs to be many km long !

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I can put the runway in Olympus, but to be effective for horizontal launches it needs to be many km long !

A runway with 6 km length / 120 m width is enough for launches and landings with the default DeltaGlider and also for the DGIV and XR2 with default settings.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Interesting, because on my test Orbiter beta install, the runway needs to be 12km for the stock DG to liftoff.
On my test stock Orbiter 2010 install the same DG lifts off much sooner.

Could someone give me some advice on this?
I think I haven't' messed with the flight / atmosphere models on my test install,but ...

Visually, here's what I have:

130206231851gl01.jpg

130206231901gl01.jpg

I've added a train along the runway, and the feeling of speed is intense when you accelerate. Nevertheless, it's not at all logical to have an obstacle so close to the runway, so it will need to go.

I don't like the visual result that much. Kind of strange to have an asphalt runway on Mars, but that can be solved.

As for the base itself, I'm happy with two solar arrays and trains to the panel and runway areas.

130206231828gl01.jpg

Brighton is finished, taking into account your collective suggestions and keeping the default look we all love :thumbup::
130206231235gl01.jpg

130206231242gl01.jpg

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
130206231851gl01.jpg

130206231901gl01.jpg

I've added a train along the runway, and the feeling of speed is intense when you accelerate. Nevertheless, it's not at all logical to have an obstacle so close to the runway, so it will need to go.

I don't like the visual result that much. Kind of strange to have an asphalt runway on Mars, but that can be solved.

As for the base itself, I'm happy with two solar arrays and trains to the panel and runway areas.

130206231828gl01.jpg

Brighton is finished, taking into account your collective suggestions and keeping the default look we all love :thumbup::
130206231235gl01.jpg

130206231242gl01.jpg

Looking good :thumbup:

It's been awhile since I've messed with Base cfg files, is there a way to define a custom runway texture without overwriting the default? If so you might want look at this...

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5829"]High-Res Martian Runway[/ame]

As for general feedback, I'd remove the tram from olympus, After all, what are Azure rovers are for? and as you said, obsticals near the runway are bad juju. Widening it a bit might be a good Idea as well.

For brighton I'd enlarge the western tram station (make it at least similar in width if not height to the main tower) and extend the solar field a bit but otherwise don't change a thing.

Keep up the good work. Much respect for undertaking a project that I never had the patience to finish. I look forward to installing the final version. :cheers:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting, because on my test Orbiter beta install, the runway needs to be 12km for the stock DG to liftoff.
On my test stock Orbiter 2010 install the same DG lifts off much sooner.

A runway with 6 km length / 120 m width is enough for launches and landings with the default DeltaGlider and also for the DGIV and XR2 with default settings.

[facepalm] Sorry about that. Not only I hadn't tested them on the Orbiter beta, but I also hadn't tested them fully fueled on the stock Orbiter 2010 [/facepalm]

I tried a fully fueled DG in Orbiter beta and it took off only when it reached ~700 m/s. So yeah, if you place a runway, it will have to be much longer.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
That or simply include a NOTAM regarding max takeoff wheights.

The strip should really be for landing more than anything else.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Having a different texture is a problem because you need to edit your base.cfg.
It doesn't make much sense to mess with it just for a runway on Mars.
But since the surface tiles are textures.... I could paint the runway on them :thumbup:

Another approach could be to use beacons!
I agree that any runway should be for landings. Here's a try of a ~6km long "runway":

130207211322gl01.jpg

It could be refined, and works as a concept but I don't think it fits on the overall spirit of the add-on. It's starting to degenerate into base development, not enhancement. I want Olympus to still be stock Olympus!

So I'll leave it like this:
130207211335gl01.jpg

Non intrusive enhancement that matches the surface texture well.

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Having a different texture is a problem because you need to edit your base.cfg.

You're doing that anyway aren't you?

I'd also ditch the solar panels and tram line, it adds little, and makes less sense from a base developement perspective.

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

To clarify.

The layout of OSRB always struck me as more of a frontier McMurdo-esque outpost. You've got three hab aircraft shelters (1 per pad) Tankage, powerplant, (the two structures not connected to the rest of the base) 2 Habs and 2 storage modules.

The the tram seems out of place and the solar panels are wasted mass seeing as they are both at high lattitude and in an area of mars known for multi-month long dust storms.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Well, as I was happy with the result, I released the add-on:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6007"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6007[/ame]

This means that the panels + tram are in for Olympus.

I understand the martian climate point of view, but since we do have solar powered rovers and landers on Mars (and one on the poles), it's not "wrong".
And since we where seriously considering putting a runway there, I think the panels are OK.
Let's say artistic licence and that in the event of a severe storm they remove the panels, using the tram for cargo service. :lol:
My mention to editing base.cfg mean the config\base.cfg where you have the base textures. Not each base config.

Now back to the release: I've spent enough time on this and sitting on it fiddling with small details will not bring anything new. So as far as I'm concerned, it's done. I like it, and I find it usefull for the type of flying I do.

I thank everyone for they help and support. It was very important! :cheers:

IF I still have the time and will, I have a list of current spaceports and rocket launch centers that aren't on Orbiter but might as well be....
So I MAY do Andoya, Esrange, Mojave, Naro, etc with the same criteria as I did the stock bases... but that's a subject for another thread.