Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Cliffs of Dover was PC only, and Birds of Prey was released on PC as Wings of Prey a while ago. Not to mention, it was different dev team that worked on BoP.
At the point it was released on console, it was dumbed down for the console audience, and I have no interest in the PC port.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
At the point it was released on console, it was dumbed down for the console audience, and I have no interest in the PC port.

That's a rather cavalier attitude. Anyway, Cliffs of Dover was never designed for, or released to consoles. I'd still place it behind 1946 overall, though.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
If only I had 10 grand laying around... :/

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If only I had 10 grand laying around... :/

Same here... :lol: ... but not for the game. With 10K€ I could have a new car with less financial annoyances.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's a rather cavalier attitude. Anyway, Cliffs of Dover was never designed for, or released to consoles. I'd still place it behind 1946 overall, though.
Not really a cavalier attitude...

Flight sims are interesting for me in their complexity.

You can't have the same kind of complexity in a console "flight sim" (actually, flight arcade game) as in a PC flight sim.

So no, I'm not interested in PC ports of console flight sims.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You can't have the same kind of complexity in a console "flight sim" (actually, flight arcade game) as in a PC flight sim.

So no, I'm not interested in PC ports of console flight sims.

Same here. It also kills a lot of the challenge and atmosphere if mastering a plane (even an old warbird) gets too easy and you just play immortal warrior. Most WW2 pilots had been happy to get 10 kills in their career, such console games usually expect you to achieve that in a minute. Even the best flying ace of WW2 only reached 352 kills in his career before the war ended (In 1,404 combat missions and 825 aerial engagements - who would play such a boring video game like the reality is?).

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't find complexity very interesting, which is why I play Ace Combat instead.

(This is my opinion, and I respect the opinions of others.)

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
How about this evening?

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

Awesome flight with Richy where, despite some technical issues on my end, we managed to complete the "Shooting Gallery" mission! :)

Here after the landing, noticig Richy's blown left tire:
zgqUL3x.jpg

E

ex-orbinaut

Wouldn't dare try it; I would get horribly addicted and spend loads of time on it that I could ill afford. Several months ago I ventured out of Debian and back into Win 7 only to try out War Thunder (because it was a free-bee), and did get hooked, larking around in the Spitfire Mk II and A5M, which were the two aircraft I was aiming at getting to. I had to bin my account in order to stay away. :) DCS looks great, though.

Though it is a bit off topic, has anyone tried Rise of Flight? And as I am a WWI naval history fan, Jutland and associated? At one stage, I tried the demo of Steam and Iron. Functional (though not multi-player), it reminded me a bit of old Harpoon in layout, but both it and Jutland are a bit pricey.

Years ago, on the Amiga, a friend and I knocked up a null modem cable and played Falcon head to head. After many threats of "prepare to eat lead", we initiated hostilities in the first encounter that lasted exactly 15 seconds, ending with a cannon burst landed neatly in his cockpit. It was very exciting, I recall, to go up against a non AI opponent.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I still have to update DCS, and that will take some time so I didn't make it today.

I'd really love to do it, nice that you had some fun today!

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
From 20th to the 29th September, there is going to be an Autumn sale at the DCS shop, with about 60% off... maybe a reason for some to take a look. (I don't want to copy the announced prices here... would be too much advertisement for my taste)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Aye, I'm thinking of maybe picking one or two of them up if any of my paypal transfers ever go through.