Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ha, been waiting for that! I'll most likely pick up the Mi-8.

Same here... I don't have UH-1 and Mi-8 - and the Mi-8 is the way cooler helicopter IMHO... with some modding, it would maybe be possible to simulate a Soyuz capsule retrieval in DCS....

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Which ones do you have to buy to be able to get the others, and what are we talling money wise ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Which ones do you have to buy to be able to get the others, and what are we talling money wise ?

None - all modules are independent and you can have those vehicles as non-pilotable vehicles anyway via the free-to-play DCS:World. You can choose what you like to fly, and don't need to buy lots of planes, when you only want to fly one.

But I recommend getting DCS:Combined Arms since it extends the basic simulation a lot.

Money-wise, it depends on what you want to fly. Better wait for tomorrow, then the prices will drop radically. Maybe take the time to test DCS:World, if you didn't yet, so you know if the performance suits and the simulation is what you like.

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
But keep in mind, the A-10C, the Ka-50, the UH-1H and the Mi-8 have a fully clickable cockpit and are "uber-realistic" also avionicswise, while the A-10A and the Su-25 (both the one included in DCS World and the other variant that can be purchased) have a simpliefied avionic and no clickable pit, but still feature an advanced flight module.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Still, even if the free Su-25T is not equipped with a clickable cockpit, the operations with the plane are realistic - you have a lot of work ahead of you, for just shooting one missile and hit something.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
But keep in mind, the A-10C, the Ka-50, the UH-1H and the Mi-8 have a fully clickable cockpit and are "uber-realistic" also avionicswise, while the A-10A and the Su-25 (both the one included in DCS World and the other variant that can be purchased) have a simpliefied avionic and no clickable pit, but still feature an advanced flight module.

A-10C would be my preference, so would that be all I need ? No core program first?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A-10C would be my preference, so would that be all I need ? No core program first?

You always need DCS:World to start with. Then you need the extension module for the A-10C.

Since the A-10C is a CAS plane, DCS:Combined Arms would be really recommended, since it provides more options for the F10-"AWACS" display.

(But the core functions are part of DCS:World, so it isn't needed, not even for multiplayer missions)

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Sale's on! Got the Mi-8 before I changed idea. :)

@Donamy: you'll still need DCS World, which is the (free) core program to which the individual modules connect.

(You'll also need to purchase anyone module if you'd like to use the multiplayer functionality)

If you just want the A-10C then all you need to do is this:
  • Download DCS World
  • Purchase and download the A-10C module

:cheers:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does it work well with XP ?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
2FtOGoh.jpg

lZkkl3W.jpg

efvH69W.jpg

And here are the results of this evening's short test. :lol:

It might seem obvious, but flying helicopters is...so completely, utterly different.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This deal was too good to pass up. Currently downloading the A-10C. Goodbye what little free time I had left.... :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
After many destroyed Mi-8 I must say:

The helicopter simulation model is great and fun to fly, despite it being as hard as flying any helicopter.

The first mission for the Mi-8 is a great training mission, the extra lessons there are really worth it.

Taking off is much harder than landing in a Mi-8

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A couple more in the hope to win some more pilots for online flying :) :

I currently destroyed a fair number of Mi-8 out of 12,000 build...

The early vortex ring state is pretty annoying during landing.

EDIT: Also I currently fail already when I just want to hover gently... I am not used to helicopters at all.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Almost hit the rear end of the Kuznetsov thanks that during the above-mentioned flight. :)

You have to be ready to slightly increase collective when slowing down below 50-60 kph, and while hovering do not even think about descending faster than 3 m/s.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Almost hit the rear end of the Kuznetsov thanks that during the above-mentioned flight. :)

You have to be ready to slightly increase collective when slowing down below 50-60 kph, and while hovering do not even think about descending faster than 3 m/s.

Exactly, but you also need to fly a lot bigger curves with it for approach. I usually drop below 3 m/s when turning at low speeds.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Exactly: if you need to shed altitude fast on the spot I've found it much easier to keep some forward velocity (even "just" 100 kph is more than enough) and fly a tight spiraling path down.

Hovering should definitely only be used for the final approach from very low altitude to the landing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Exactly: if you need to shed altitude fast on the spot I've found it much easier to keep some forward velocity (even "just" 100 kph is more than enough) and fly a tight spiraling path down.

Hovering should definitely only be used for the final approach from very low altitude to the landing.

Yeah - from 20 meters downward. But that requires a lot of practice. Alone just lifting off and hover over the helipad is a challenge to me now. I constantly over compensate.