Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There are some many detail improvements in FC3 to the simulation models of LOMAC, also the module did not cost $50 the last time I watched (Now it does...). And you can fly the LOMAC aircraft in the DCS:World environment (engine, mission editor) and in DCS Multiplayer.

Especially the F-15C was improved a lot there:

• Updated US RWR threats display logic - threats in scan mode do not update their position continuously anymore.
  • US RWR display symbology was made stabilized to the horizon.
  • Glide slope/localizer deviation bars were removed from F-15C/A-10A HUDs.
  • Adjusted F-15C/A-10A HUD gun reticle distance sector visual appearance.
  • New flap position lights
  • Flaps position lights logic was updated.
  • AI & SAM warning lights are functional now.
  • Active jamming is indicated by open X in the center of TEWS screen. Flashing X - standby, steady X - active.
  • CHAFF/FLARE, and MINIMUM lights are operational now.
  • Marker beacon light was made functional. MKR display was added on HUD.
  • Added CSET display on HUD - is displayed for the first 10 seconds after ILS mode selection.
  • Steer mode select knob was animated.
  • Fixed HUD Integrated Flight Director indication.
  • Added bank steering bar on HUD.
  • HUD altitude scale is always barometric now.
  • Removed radar altimeter scale from HUD.
  • Fixed AoA scale and numeric indication on HUD.
  • Adjusted HUD display logic of Mach number and current/maximum G displays.
  • ADI light was made functional.
  • Fixed unstable radar lock at certain ranges in the vertical scan mode.
  • Radar scan zone in TWS is limited by 60 degrees now.
  • DTWS scan zone automatic centering is implemented.
The last DCS patches only corrected multiplayer bugs for FC3, no aircraft improvements like for the Mi-8.

The MiG-29 could see some improvements as well, during testing, it became obvious that the hydraulic pressure indicator and the inlet ramp indicator are not operational. :lol:
Thanks for the explanation.

Still seems really odd to be offering what is, essentially, a $50 addon for DCS World...yet also requiring the $10, 10-year-old LOMAC as well.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks for the explanation.

Still seems really odd to be offering what is, essentially, a $50 addon for DCS World...yet also requiring the $10, 10-year-old LOMAC as well.

Yes, I suspect it is because some aircraft of the package are available as single module without LOMAC (A-10A, Su-25) as well for $15 each, but F-15C, Su-27, Su-33 and MiG-29 not (so you essentially get 5.5 aircraft for the price of 4 single... No, I am not Salesman for Eagle Dynamics).

For me, it was a neat buy, because I had the 7€ LOMAC already and it was during a summer sale.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
and it was during a summer sale.

Yeah, I think it definitively worth it to wait such events. Like on Steam, when you fall on a 75% discount, well... That's just too beautiful...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Unfortunately, neither LOMAC or FC3 are on Steam, so I probably wouldn't learn about sales on them until after they're over...maybe I'll check around closer to the holidays.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So I get that you can get a bunch of extra aircraft for DCS World if you get Flaming Cliffs 3, but apparently Flaming Cliffs 3 requires a 10-year-old game (Lock On: Modern Air Combat) that has all of the same aircraft?

So FC3 is a $50 addon for a $10, 10-year-old game, and all you really get is the ability to fly the planes in DCS World?

Can someone who actually understands the situation please elaborate?

It comes down to licensing: Lock-On was marketed by Ubisoft in the old days, and ED basically is legally bound to only make an add-on to Lock-On. The FC3 module checks for an installation of the originale LO, and so technically still fits the definition of add-on since it requires the original program, despite not using a bit of the available installation.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's awful. Would be nice if ED would dump the Lock-On name and proceed on their own with just DCS World...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's awful. Would be nice if ED would dump the Lock-On name and proceed on their own with just DCS World...

I agree completely. Of course, through a stroke of luck I happened to pick up LOMAC a few years ago in an Ubisoft flight sim bundle at my local Walmart for about $15 on clearance, which contained Pacific Fighters, LOMAC, and IL2.
You can still find copies of this bundle online, used or new: The Ultimate Flight Collection

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If the french version works, looks like we can get it here for 7€ only :

http://jeux-video.fnac.com/a1347187/Lock-On-cederom-PC

Oh and anyone has managed to deploy the drag chutes with the Su-25T ? I press the "P" key on touchdown as listed in the controls, but nothing happens...

Edit : nevermind, I found out I was landing too fast, and deployed the chutes at excessive speed. Just made a perfect short landing.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Tried to get some basic/initial combat training with guns/rockets in today, but my cat had other ideas -- see attachments.

This is the same cat who enjoys turning off the Minecraft server.

Attachments

• WP_20131010_002.jpg
    WP_20131010_002.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 25

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What I didn't know before and now do thanks to DCS.... There is a single German exclusive helicopter museum, and that one is just about 1.5 hours away from my home...

http://www.hubschraubermuseum.de/

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Completed the Navigation tutorial for the A-10C last night. It took several attempts, but once I found the right keys for certain functions that I didn't have room for on my X52 (and unmapped the flight controls from the keyboard), it was fairly straightforward. Next up is landing, then on to the combat training.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Tried to get some basic/initial combat training with guns/rockets in today, but my cat had other ideas -- see attachments.

Nice cat. Try to switch the stores config from CAT-III to CAT-I.

config_stores.jpg

Edit : Getting better with the SU-25T. Completed the "Guns & Rockets" training mission, with all 8 targets destroyed. Beginning to feel the true destructive power of the SU-25.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure how THREE cats would help the situation...

It wouldn't help, but one sitting proudly in front of each monitor would be nicely logical :lol:

Else you can try to EMER JETTISON the cat. A bit radical, but it should work. Useful when in the midst of an attack run.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It wouldn't help, but one sitting proudly in front of each monitor would be nicely logical :lol:

Else you can try to EMER JETTISON the cat. A bit radical, but it should work. Useful when in the midst of an attack run.
I have done that once or twice.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So it seems we got quite a bunch of pilots here.

In my case, replace "pilot" by "moving target" :lol: Given everything there is to learn, I don't think I could be operational before a couple of months.

Edit : just went through the Su-25T "Unguided Bombs" training mission. Missed the targets as much as I could. Had to save the honor with the 30mm internal gun, which allowed me 3 kills. Landed safely, but the real objective of the mission (using unguided bombs) is a complete failure !

Last edited:

vlad32768

Reaction score
Oh, there are a lot of DCS pilots here!
Although I don't play Orbiter for some years, I play DCS regularly.
My fleet is: DCS Ka-50, DCS A-10C, DCS P-51D, DCS UH-1 and DCS Mi-8.

Now I fly the P-51 and the classical helicopters. Flight modeling is outstanding, very interesting!

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
OK, time to face the fact that my precision issue are mostly caused by my 12-years-old Microsoft Sidewinder-2. The dead zone is more than dead. I need something better if I want to get seriously into this. That joystick is hardly precise enough to perform a safe reentry in Orbiter anyway...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK, time to face the fact that my precision issue are mostly caused by my 12-years-old Microsoft Sidewinder-2. The dead zone is more than dead. I need something better if I want to get seriously into this. That joystick is hardly precise enough to perform a safe reentry in Orbiter anyway...

I seriously consider buying a Thrustmaster Warthog everytime an A-10C mission failed because I forgot a keyboard command. But thats maybe a bit excessive for Orbiter then. :lol:

But my Saitek X45 really runs a bit short of buttons, despite being still absolutely precise