Question Direct Transfer Function

MerA

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I'm horrible at Hoffman Transfers and TransX. I wondered if someone had made an add-on that keeps a ship's nose pointed at The target object whlie firing the engines or a more advanced version of TransX that helps plot the course and complete the Mid Correction Burn. Anyone know of something like one of these two things?

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
IMFD is basically a more automated version of TransX. It finds a launch window on its own and has an autoburn button too. Keep in mind that it's less capable than TransX for some stuff (mostly slingshots).

On the same page you can also find some other brilliant add-ons, by the way. I'd recommend them too :)

Why would you want to fire the engines while pointing at the target object? I assume you want to perform a mid-course correction (MCC)? Well, in that case, your method would be wrong. I usually perform my MCCs with TransX, which tells me how close I'll be to the planet, and just burn prograde (slowly!) with linear RCS thrusters (press / to switch between rotation and translation RCS modes). If the distance goes up, then I burn in the other direction. When it descends, but then starts to climb again, change the axis. Keep in mind that, the further away from the planet you are, the less fuel you'll need to use.

IMFD does all this automatically, though (it calls it planet approach, IIRC).

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But if you expect IMFD to be less complicated than TransX, you'll be disappointed. Seriously, TransX works with three basic variables: prograde, outward and time. You can't have it any simpler than this. IMFD is simpler if it can give you a solution, but often enough, it can't (at least when using anything else than a Delta-Glider). And then you'll have to know very exactly what you're doing to use IMFD...

Tommy

Reaction score
But if you expect IMFD to be less complicated than TransX, you'll be disappointed. Seriously, TransX works with three basic variables: prograde, outward and time. You can't have it any simpler than this. IMFD is simpler if it can give you a solution, but often enough, it can't (at least when using anything else than a Delta-Glider). And then you'll have to know very exactly what you're doing to use IMFD...

Actually, IMFD can be VERY simple. In IMFD Full Manual / Playbacks, we give a simple, repeatable process that will find a window and plan the course - without you needing to know what is going on. "Full Manual" includes a chart with the settings for EVERY transfer available in the Sol system - my nephew could perform interplanetary trips at 7 years old (before he could even launch to orbit!)

IMFD also has tools that can be used in a more advanced manner, such as Target Offsetting, once you get the hang of the basics.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually, IMFD can be VERY simple.

As long as you don't have to split your ejection burn, yes. Which, with larger vessels with more realistic characteristics than a DG, you almost infallibly have to. It's still very simple for splitting burns if you know what's going on. If you don't, oh well...