Question Disappearing Olympus Mons texture

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Apologies if this may seem like another necro addon post (Clydesdale freighter was the first), but I'm trying to get back into Orbiter (2010 P1) and have the simulator similar to how I remember...with a few new bells & whistles of course!

Mars just has something lacking without a representation of the solar system's largest mountain/volcano, so I've got the mesh from Orbithangar - the "preserved" mesh from Foxtrot.

Anyway, upon taking off from Olympus base (the basic one included with Orbiter ) in a Shuttle A and turning towards the mountain, the mesh vanishes. Only by looking slightly away does it reappear. It also vanishes when you fly over the top, only to be displayed as you pan the view around.

I seem to remember about altering the SIZE & OBJECTSIZE numbers in the cfg file too, to make it visible from further away, do they still have an effect in Orbiter 2010 and if so what would be a good value. I couldn't seem to find info on those paramters in the included Orbiter config pdf.

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Further to my previous post, I've been trying out the DX9 client R15 (not dx11 yet) and OH MY WORD! Not only can my GTX 650 gfx card do a great job (framerate rarely drops below 60), but the Mons mesh doesn't disappear when viewing it from whatever angle; I just took a Shuttle PB over the top. :)

Still unsure of what SIZE to use though - you'd want the mesh to be visible from orbit as the mountain appears over the horizon, correct?