OHM Do you know orbiter? Emergency power up LIMP

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Author: stormtrooperrabbit

GET CTRL P READY TO PAUSE IT!!! You have engaged the autopilot hover program to reach a low altitude. Suddenly, your main power grid cuts out and you are let stranded - Over 1 KM in the air!!! You must restart the power to save you life. You cant even egect without power! This may seem high, so you think it would be easy... It is IMPOSSIBLE!!! When your DG-IV is powered up, you have about 1.237 seconds before you hit the ground, wich is why I rated this an IMP (IMPossible)

REQUIRES DG-IV

------------------------
WELCOME to do you know orbiter, where you are placed in life-thretaning conditions where you must use all your orbiter Knowlage to get out of these sticky situations. They are rated either BAB: Baby EE: Extra easy E: Easy NOR: Normal HRD: Hard HH: Horifingly hard VIMP: Virtualy impossible LIMP: Literaly impossible Now just one question... Do you know orbiter???

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4299"]More...[/ame]

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I got out with only 2 dead
3/5 of the crew including the pilot walked away. The last two to bail out did so right above the ground and got a face full of earth.

Edit:
I saved everyone! Only my landing was not pretty.

Final Edit:
I did it and flew the traffic pattern back to KSC.

Last edited:

Dambuster

Reaction score
I managed to do it with them all surviving, and then landed the ship successfully...maybe 0.1x time messes up the APU start lol...

Nope, works at real time too...you've just got to click fast and do something a bit counter-intuitive... :p

Last edited:

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why wait for the APU when you've got something that's specifically meant for problems with the main power supply?

Not particularly hard, if you know which steps to take. And, of course, if you slow down time. :)

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Actually, it's very doable in real time, too.

The thing is to prioritise. What's your biggest concern? That would be your delta-h. You need to stop that and quickly.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Did it without restarting power--pull up, and hard. Hard but survivable gear-up landing.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For economy of actions, Hielor's solution wins hands-down. It just requires one switch to be changed, that is, ship control to Elevon, and just pull up until you hit. You hit at about nine meters per second. Not fun, but survivable.

Just make sure that you're relatively level when you hit the ground. You don't want to tumble.

Last edited:

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
I solved it when sometimes changing to 0.1.
But I will try it in realtime too.

Last edited:

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I noticed the name of my ex in the crew and nosed-down into oblivion.

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
i am happy to say that I managed to not only save the crew, but I saved the ship (and the gear). emergency Fuel cells FTW

Dambuster

Reaction score
I've found that hitting the power whilst in a nose-down helps the most.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
I managed it with elevon only too. I landed in glide mode.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hit the "esc" key thrice and ejected. For some reason it worked without power.

That was anything but impossible, unless you have to land intact or something...

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Landing intact is easy. You don't even need the fuel cell to pull it off. All you need is to have the main engines online by the time that you go level from your dive.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Landing intact is easy. You don't even need the fuel cell to pull it off. All you need is to have the main engines online by the time that you go level from your dive.

Yep, that's how I did it. Battery on -> APU -> GENs -> Engine power -> Engine on -> Powered flight. Landed at KSC.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
That was quite fun. I haven't flown the DGIV in a while, so good to get back and have to worry about the systems that make her run. A nice thought as I've never had to use the emergency fuel cell before.

Oh, and on a note of the use of English. "Literally impossible" means that it is impossible to complete it. It does not mean 'hard', 'very hard' or 'practically impossible'. You can say that something is 'impossible' whilst speaking metaphorically to convey the meaning that it is very hard. If you say that it is 'literally impossible', you are purposefully taking away the ambiguity of metaphorical speech and saying that no-one will ever ever complete it, no matter how hard they try. This is not 'literally impossible'.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Difficulty:

Intact Crew: Trivially easy. Hit Esc three times at the start of the scenario.

Mostly Intact Ship and Crew: Easy. Switch control to Elevon and pull up. Level out just before you hit the ground.

Completely Intact Ship and Crew: Easy to Moderate, depending on whether you use the fuel cell. Same steps as the previous one, but either turn on the fuel cell and switch the power supply to it, or start the APU and generators. It will take a significant amount of time for the APU and generators to start, so you will have to do these next steps more quickly than if you just used the fuel cell. Reset Engine power, reset both Main Valves, and engage the Main Engines when you level out. Fly to the runway.

You can also pull this off with the Hover Engines. You'll just need to reset the Main Bus power as well as the Engine and Hover Valve switches.

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
I managed to land safely when I finally figured out which switches to use (I couldn't figure out why my engines won't start after I powered everything up for a while ;) ), it was quite fun :)

Stinger

Orbinaut since 2003
Reaction score
I did it in normal speed! (after several crashes of course) ;)

Here's how it works:
-Goto the upper panel.
-Position your mouse over the emergency power
-Hit ctrl+p
And now really quick!!
-Doubleclick emergency power
-start apu
-Turn the bus selector dial to 'emergency power'
-Switch on Engine, Lifepack, Computer and Main Bus
-Goto the lower panel
-Activate the Hover Valve and RCS-Valve, and hold down 0 and 2 on your Numpad with your left hand as soon as the Valves are green.
The Nose comes up...
Nearly done...

-Now activate the remaining Valves, go back to the upper panel and turn on the Rest.

-Stabilize the Glider... :) -The Computer should be online by now...
-Enter c p200s7 enter e for example, or set full main thrust and reduce hover thrust to 0.
-Enjoy the flight!

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I did it in normal speed! (after several crashes of course) ;)

Here's how it works:
-Goto the upper panel.
-Position your mouse over the emergency power
-Hit ctrl+p
And now really quick!!
-Doubleclick emergency power
-start apu
-Turn the bus selector dial to 'emergency power'
-Switch on Engine, Lifepack, Computer and Main Bus
-Goto the lower panel
-Activate the Hover Valve and RCS-Valve, and hold down 0 and 2 on your Numpad with your left hand as soon as the Valves are green.
The Nose comes up...
Nearly done...

-Now activate the remaining Valves, go back to the upper panel and turn on the Rest.

-Stabilize the Glider... :) -The Computer should be online by now...
-Enter c p200s7 enter e for example, or set full main thrust and reduce hover thrust to 0.
-Enjoy the flight!
Why not this method:

Upper Panel:
click emergency power, then switch the power selector knob to emergency power bypassing the APU.
Restart the engine bus.
Restart the HUD bus.

Middle Panel:
Switch control surfaces to all elevon. Start applying back pressure and trim. Keep up back pressure.

Lower Panel:
Restart the 2 main engines.
Fire the engines until straight and level flight.
Reduce power and set trim.

Then restart the APU and generators, power on the components, orient yourself into the pattern. If you feel conservative, dump fuel while flying a couple of patterns to bring weight down.

Your priority should not be to start the APUs, it should be to establish straight-and-level flight or prepare for ejection.

Last edited:

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually, you can skip the HUD and just eyeball it. It does make it a bit easier to know if you're flying level, though.