Poll Do you know your national anthem?

Do you know your national anthem?

• Total voters

Albatros

Reaction score
I knew the anthem of my nation. It's simply, because after the second world war the other verses are permitted (these mentioned other terrytories witch aren't german now).

I'm curious how do people treat their national anthems. Please answer the poll's question and elaborate, if you want to. If you are not sure which country is yours, consider either your native land, or where you spend most of your life time.

Then you are as i one of the few, like it seems. Whenever i'm watching TV, the most of the people (look for the national soccer-team during the WM ore other sport events) barely knew a few words. It's a shame!

I know mine/ours. I sing along soft because I can't sing (if you know what I mean). I can play it as well, and can play a few others (Canada, Mexico, Spain, England, Germany and Russian) on the violin. Many nations have very melodic anthems.
I do wish more people would show respect during the playing of them though. Really, does it cause anyone any physical pain to shut the f up for 2 minutes or so?

The "uniform" was black, because most of the men of the Free Corps where coal-miner, and they were wearing their work clothes.
After the war, some of them choose to go on a university. That's why the oldest student corps have also black robes.
When Fürst von Metternich permitted the student corps (he was aware of the democratic process) during the Vienna congress, they went in the underground. Their leaders (Chargen) signed then every letter with: X or XX or XXX, depending on their position and a symbol for the corps (witch consists of the first letters of their credo) - an "!" behind the symbol means, the corps is active.
During the period to try establishing an democracy, Hoffmann von Fallersleben wrote in the year 1841 on the island Helgoland the "The song of the germans", our anthem (melody from the "Kaiserlied" [emperor's song], composed by Franz Joseph Haydn in 1797).

For Germany, it is the colors of the nationalist democratic uprising in the 19th century, adopted from the uniform colors of the Lützow Free Corps. Nobody really knows why the uniform had such colors, but the military unit had two important features:

- It was made of people from whole Germany.
- It was made mostly of intellectuals and artists.

The black color of the uniform came from the fact that all free corps got no wages, they had to dye civilian clothes into a uniform color. Almost all free corps had black uniforms, even the bigger ones. It was also considered a color of mourning about the occupation of Germany by France.

Red was chosen for displaying rank insignias, the golden came from bronze buttons on the uniforms.

because of their origin, this unit dominated on one of the first democratic conventions in Germany.