Poll Does God exist? Is science true ? (Multiple choice!)

Does God exist? Is Evolution true? Does the Big Bang has occurred?

• Total voters

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is just a question because i was shocked as i hear, that one of my college is thinking that the Earth is only 8000 years old, and it was created by God and further he's thinking, that evolution does not exist.
He told me, that when i don't change my mind, i will end in the hell!
I'm working as an electrical engineer and i never have believed, that such stupid people are also working in such jobs.

But for me, this is the same kind of people who are believing that the moon landing was faked.

My personal mind is, that there is no contradiction in believing god and sience, but i don't know if God is existing or not. And i blieve that IF God exist, than he is not like we are thinking what he is.

For the science, i know that it's true! There is not everything is clear today, and maybe we would be surprised some more times (i hope so), but generally, i have no doubt in science. (of course, some people, also some scientists are talking nonsense)

But what i also thing is that fundamentalism is a high dangerous for our species, more dangerous than the communism in the past. Because if people are only are believing what other people say, because they say that they know what God want what we should to do, then those people needs no justification for their acts. But also this people are only humans.

So in my mind, i can not say if God is existing or not,
but the Earth was not created directly from him.
Maybe the big bang was made by him / it, but after this, i don't think that God has act much in our Universe. Maybe i'm wrong.

One more point:
If God has created us, then he will not send us to hell, only because we have not heard to such idiots on earth, and also not, because we have not prayed each day.

If God really exist, the he must love us over all, if we believe him or not, because the Earth is really a paradise, but sometimes it's not a paradise, what we made out of this wonderful place...

Last edited:

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
I agree 100% with you. That is exactly the same as my beliefs.

ZombiezuRFER

Zaktan Zanamu, margum Zavralto
Reaction score
I am semi-atheist, i guess. I sorta believe in God, sorta don't. :shrug:
But I find that nothing of science contradicts christianity, or many other religions for that matter. Evolution is not sacrilegious, nor is science. Evolution and science can easily go hand in hand with religion. TO be honest, the hardest part I find with accepting religion, is lack of proof for any religion of any sort. After all, there is no surefire way to prove that some guy didnt make up the bible, or whether it truly was divinely inspired. There's my two cents.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Since I am more pantheist than Christian, I can do both... believe in God or a divine nature of the universe, and at the same time see Big Bang and Evolution as expressions or miracles of this divine.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I won't enter discussion if any higher being (call it God for now) exists. That is everyone's right to belive in what he desires.

Also I don't have to belive in big bang & evolution. I know that big bang occured and evolution is working. I have scientific proof and ockham's razor. That's enough for me.

For big bang we have: galactic doppler shift (Hubble's law) & microwave background radiation.

For evolution: we can see evolution (in nasty ways) in hospitals. Every year bacterias living in hospitals become more and more resistant to our treatments. They adapt, mutate and become stronger.

And that's just 2 examples.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I believe in the Probe. :hailprobe:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't mean offense, but the poll is completely useless. According to it, I can either choose that I believe god exists, or that the big bang happened. Those two aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

Also, the thread title mingles too many things. Do I believe in science? that is, do I believe in the concept of science and that it generally works? You bet I do. However, if I believe that the scientific concept is sound, the rest is pretty much the wrong question. Science doesn't ask for my faith, it merely asks for my aknowledgement of facts. And it actually expects me to change my opinion from one second to the other if new facts turn up. I consider believing in a scientific theory to be a very misguided thing. Science isn't religion, and the day it becomes one it'll have lost its entire purpose, because its purpose is inherently non-religious. That is not anti-religious, although it can pose quite a challenge to religion every once in a while. Even as someone who deeply believes in God (and also the big bang, for that matter. Not quite sure about evolution, although the concept seems certainly sound), I consider that a good thing.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It is my belief that I should do my best to gather empirical data about the world around me and interpret it in a rational way. Science is not a religion but a methodology. One doesn't "believe" in science, he practises it.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Topper said:
He told me, that when i don't change my mind, i will end in the hell!

Yea, just one of the typical replies you get from religious nutt heads...

Topper said:
I'm working as an electrical engineer and i never have believed, that such stupid people are also working in such jobs.

Oh, it gets better. Quite a few US Senators share this belief...

Topper said:
For the science, i know that it's true! ...i have no doubt in science.

Don't just take it at face value... science is as flawed as any other human characteristic and mistakes are sometimes discovered years avter they've passed peer-review. The beautey of science is that it's self correcting, but that does require doubt.

The trick is to have reasonable doubt. Nothing can pass *un*reasonable doubt.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't mean offense, but the poll is completely useless. According to it, I can either choose that I believe god exists, or that the big bang happened. Those two aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

That's why you can check both answers in this poll :p

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I believe that belief is the most idiotic and the most crucial aspect of self. Belief should setup the most basic parameters of reality, and more than that is just stupidity and arbitrariness.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
For evolution: we can see evolution (in nasty ways) in hospitals. Every year bacterias living in hospitals become more and more resistant to our treatments. They adapt, mutate and become stronger.
Another thing, just looking at our human body reveals useless parts and weird elements which proves the evolution. We're far from being a perfect machine like some say.

bujin

Reaction score
I've ticked the "God does not exist" option, but really that should be "I believe that God does not exist".

The difference is that no-one can say with absolute certainty that God does not exist, but from my own point of view, having thought it all through pretty extensively, I don't see any need for one to explain any aspect of the universe, and I can see how the idea may have come about through human means early in our history.

As for the Big Bang / Evolution thing, there's no question in my mind that both things are "true", in the sense that the evidence is very strongly in favour of both theories. Sure, new ideas will be discovered in the future which will modify these theories, but certainly evolution is on extremely solid foundations - solid enough that it's as close to fact as anything can realistically be called a fact. The Big Bang theory is also pretty solid, but whether it's quite as solid as evolution is questionable.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yea, just one of the typical replies you get from religious nutt heads...

Topper said:
Oh, it gets better. Quite a few US Senators share this belief...

Does they really? Or does they only say that to collect votes?
But I'm verry happy, that there are some people who can think in the USA :thumbup: Hope they never loose their leverage!

Don't just take it at face value... science is as flawed as any other human characteristic and mistakes are sometimes discovered years avter they've passed peer-review. The beautey of science is that it's self correcting, but that does require doubt.

The trick is to have reasonable doubt. Nothing can pass *un*reasonable doubt.

Right! For me, haveing doubts is a part of science.
So if i say, i have no doubts in science, that means i have no doubts in haveing doubts :)

.... Evolution and science can easily go hand in hand with religion....
That depends, of witch religion you are talking about.
For me, it's not a problem to say that God is existing AND that science is true.
But i've got a Problem, if someone is telling me, that the science must be wrong, because it is written in the holy bible.
For me, each time if there is a conflict between the bible and the science, i decide me for the science.

But to be honest, the science can never answer the question WHY we exist.
But Science can tell us what was happent and in what order things happent, so that it was possible that human has been coming into being.
And religion can never explain, how the Earth was created and how old the Earth is.

So it can not go hand in hand, if you are believe such stupid things.

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
The theory of evolution and the Big Bang theory are really just theories but there is substantial evidence to support both. It's for that reason that I beleive both theories to be the best explanation of what has happened to get us to where we are today. I don't believe that religious faith precludes one one from recognizing that fact. We know for a fact that the Earth is older than 8000 years but then again, I am not aware of any religious person who believes the earth to be that young. That typically is a number thrown out by athiests and other anti-religious types - it has not biblical basis that's for sure.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Science is just a method, and who ever took the time to learn about the scientific method, would be surprised that it is actually a pretty painful way, a dedication that usually is only expected from monks. Bad science is done sloppy, by random chance. Good science is prepared over years, carefully tested and extremely precisely documented. If you don't believe in science or at least your research project, you won't have the will to spend years watching experiments or searching for animals somewhere in the rain forest, only to one day publish a doctor thesis about it or maybe get a tiny award in a science journal. Often even for less than that: Do that science that your professor can look good with you just being a minor contribution to a bigger project.