Request Dual-Keel Space Station addon (STATION REQUEST)

barrygolden

Reaction score
gattis might add a logistic module to this. and use this hub for your duel keel station.. Might be good to release this like its being built.. In a 1981 NAT GEO had a pic of a manned orbital vehicle for space only. Might use the front of your Molab mounted to a Centaur upper stage. And the OMV would be good to have with this

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On the HL20 the code is there. I might recompile it. But not release due to licensing.

I can add docking ports so that people can dock modules.

Yes basically the same for the dual keel except the modules are in a different configuration.

I think I have the solar tracking down. Just need to add RCS and cameras,..

EVa is possible with my tether add on and an attachment at the airlocks

Pioneer

Reaction score
On the HL20 the code is there. I might recompile it. But not release due to licensing.

I can add docking ports so that people can dock modules.

Yes basically the same for the dual keel except the modules are in a different configuration.

I think I have the solar tracking down. Just need to add RCS and cameras,..

EVa is possible with my tether add on and an attachment at the airlocks
Is this Sputnik's HL20? On another note, I would like to see Sputnik's add-ons revived in some way...

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am adding camera. But I wonder if the orientation needs to be rotated? The default cockpit is +Z forward. But in the top view z is at the top. So the default direction would be looking at the side

Attachments

• freedomorientation.jpg
    freedomorientation.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 3

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Still not sure about the orientation. Odd these images show only 3 solar panels. Docks are straight,..... More rcs modules?

Attachments

• stationorient.jpg
    stationorient.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 13
  • eij5d.jpg
    eij5d.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 12
  • QaxXj (1).jpg
    QaxXj (1).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Right now Freedom is a mixture of real things and stuff from drawings. If we want a true Freedom. Might need straight docks. And there are many variations.

Might just release it as a mesh and cfg.

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Still not sure about the orientation. Odd these images show only 3 solar panels. Docks are straight,..... More rcs modules?
The three solar array version is the 1991 revision where NASA inexplicably removed the fourth one due to cost. It is later dubbed as the "Fred" configuration

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the orientation? I think if we aiming for a pre ISS then new docks should be made?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Orientation should have the PMAs at the front, with the truss structure at the top. Also note the zig-zag pattern of the thermal radiator panels on the truss. They're not one entire big panel like you have now.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes. I can do zig zag ones.

I guess which way is Z axis? the truss is on top of the hab moules. Keep the Iss angled PMA or built new straight PMAs?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes. I can do zig zag ones.

I guess which way is Z axis? the truss is on top of the hab moules. Keep the Iss angled PMA or built new straight PMAs?
Orbiter's Z axis should be aligned so that the truss structure runs left/right (X-axis), the pressurized modules runs forward/aft (Z-axis). If you're unsure, just use the default Project Alpha ISS for reference.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks. I will I guess the straight PMA's?
From my research on the subject, you need to essentially just replicate the modern External Airlock/ODS set-up at the space station as the idea was to maneuver the orbiter so that the "Berthing Docking Adapter" would slide into a standard set of active payload latches on the orbiter for the actual capture. So, no actual docking hardware.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok. Then I will use the PMA from ISS_hd
No, that's not it. No PMAs at all but rather the entire External Airlock+ODS lives at the station, not in the payload bay of an orbiter. First image is the concept Pressurized Docking Adapter while the second is a photo of Discovery's actual flown External Airlock+ODS but with the Russian designed and built APAS omitted to more closely represent what the SSF PDA would have looked like if it had been built. This would have remained at the station after the orbiter left.

Attachments

• SSF_PDA.jpg
    SSF_PDA.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2
  • OV_ExtAL_SSF_PDA.jpg
    OV_ExtAL_SSF_PDA.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 3

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh. I can built the SSF_PDA. Not sure what the end where the shuttle would dock would look like

So it has trunnions. I wonder where it would dock? At that part that is sticking out?

So it looks like the ODS end attached to the station?

Attachments

• ssfpda1.jpg
    ssfpda1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 6
  • P1xtH.png
    P1xtH.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 6
  • FAnv0.png
    FAnv0.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Oh. I can built the SSF_PDA. Not sure what the end where the shuttle would dock would look like
The PDA is what would "dock" to the orbiter. But instead of using traditional docking systems, it would have used the orbiter's own active payload retention latches. The retention latch is the white object mounted on the bridge rail panel, in the photo it is in the "latched" configuration. The PDA would slide into the payload bay with the trunnion pins on the rectangular truss cradle fitting into the latches in the released configuration.

Attachments

• Active_payload_retention_latch.jpg
    Active_payload_retention_latch.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 4

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh So at the end is this structure. And some where would be a tunnel?

Attachments

• P1xtH.png
    P1xtH.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 4