Question Eardrums

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Just a really random question for everybody.

It's a fairly commonplace matter of human experience (I assume) that your eardrums have a bit of room to move in or out, and that you can shift them by adjusting pressure in your nose. But while I'm sure most people have noticed this, you hardly ever hear it discussed.

So, do you go about life with your eardrums in or out? I find there's a noticeable difference in the volume of sounds between the two states.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't know about in or out. I simply know that I can't hear (and play) music if the eardrum is under too much tension. Usually only a short phenomena, when going up and down the hills fast (car or ropecar). But it also happens when I have a cold, and then it is really nasty and requires some action to equalize the pressure.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
An excellent example would be recording your own voice on tape.
It will likely be different from how you hear your voice. since the skull does not interfere with the sound

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Default state would be a neutral position. If you then go up elevation, it pops out, then you have to relieve it. If you then go down, it goes in, and you relieve it again. Or just take cold medicine.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Default state would be a neutral position. If you then go up elevation, it pops out, then you have to relieve it. If you then go down, it goes in, and you relieve it again. Or just take cold medicine.

The interesting thing, though, is that I tend to prefer a sucked-in position to neutral, for whatever reason.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Be careful of your ears... this is coming from someone with a 4K Hz tone in his head 24/7.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Mine is about 6.5 KHz, they told me age-related.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
6.5 kHz? Isn't that far outside the audible range?

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Typical human hearing ranges from about 20 Hz to about 20 KHz, unless you’re unfortunate enough to get old.
When young I could hear the ultrasonic motion detectors in some store security alarm systems.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I used to be able to hear the 15kHz transformer in CRT TVs. I can still hear up to about that range (but not much beyond it), but it's pretty rare to encounter a CRT.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Its normal for the higher frequencies to be lost as we age. We used to have spot frequencies on VTR clocks. From memory 100Hz, 1KHz(with an option for 440Hz) and finally 12KHz. Use to be scary watching audio meters responding to the last tone, but not be able to hear it.
I was long past retirement by that time, so it wasn't a problem...

Went looking for some VTR clocks on youtube but they are all wrong and none has the tones that went between -30 and -20.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Its normal for the higher frequencies to be lost as we age. We used to have spot frequencies on VTR clocks. From memory 100Hz, 1KHz(with an option for 440Hz) and finally 12KHz. Use to be scary watching audio meters responding to the last tone, but not be able to hear it.
I was long past retirement by that time, so it wasn't a problem...

Went looking for some VTR clocks on youtube but they are all wrong and none has the tones that went between -30 and -20.

Thats what I also learned. The higher frequencies die first at age and you can't even tell how even a phantom noise in that frequency by damaged cells would sound like anyway: You have never been able to hear it as isolated sounds and have never had cells to sense such frequencies, the "20 kHz limit". Everything past 5000 Hz is just sensory artifacts. I can't really hear the crys of the local bat species or when young mice talk with each other, I just note the presence of a very high sound, but I can't tell its frequency. Its a different sensation, compared to, lets say, tuning guitar strings, when I can tell if a sound is too high or too low.