Problem Earth Hi res textures

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I ve installed the hi res textures in a new O2016 install but I get this issues in some locations (such as the Cape, Edwards and White Sands)

002.jpg
004.jpg

This was reported in another thread when the hi res textures were released but I could not find any feedback to those who posted similar pictures (at least in that thread).

Any idea of what the issue might be?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Does this happen in "unedited" areas? (i.e., in other areas other than KSC, EAFB, etc)

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Does this happen in "unedited" areas? (i.e., in other areas other than KSC, EAFB, etc)

Yes. But it looks like it does only where spaceports are located, including unedited ones like Habana fo example

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Yes. But it looks like it does only where spaceports are located, including unedited ones like Habana fo example

Orbiter 2016 or beta?
I think there were changes in beta for increased vertical resolution, and the elevation data might not be cross compatible.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter 2016 or beta?
I think there were changes in beta for increased vertical resolution, and the elevation data might not be cross compatible.

Orbiter 2016

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It looks like the whole planet elevation is wrong. I have flat terrain where some peaks are located and huge hills overwater. Some bases have their pads and runways sunk below sea level (lioke they are in craters)

This is Vandenberg AFB
009.jpg
010.jpg

This is Tenerife: mount Teide (13000' and plus) is flat
005.jpg

And I am witnessing a tsunami in the mediterranean sea
015.jpg

All this both with D7 and D9 GC

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@Wolf: Please check the ElevationResolution config parameter in "Config/Earth.cfg"
it should be set to 0.5

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@Wolf: Please check the ElevationResolution config parameter in "Config/Earth.cfg"
it should be set to 0.5

I don't see that parameter in my "Config/Earth.cfg" :huh:

It is missing and I have NO clue why that is....

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Since this is an SSU install and it has been compiled I checked the Config/Earth.cfg file and as it was ticked with a red checkmark I opened Tortoise SVN and hit the "revert" command: now the parameter is back there but the elevation issues aren't gone...

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't see that parameter in my "Config/Earth.cfg" :huh:

It is missing and I have NO clue why that is....

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Since this is an SSU install and it has been compiled I checked the Config/Earth.cfg file and as it was ticked with a red checkmark I opened Tortoise SVN and hit the "revert" command: now the parameter is back there but the elevation issues aren't gone...
I'd just do a Revert on the entire installation which done by right clicking on the main Orbiter folder and selecting Revert from the TortoiseSVN subcommands. In the window that should come up make sure that the top checkbox "Select / deselect all" is checked.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I think the Earth.cfg in SSU is being kept updated to the Orbiter Beta... so if you are running Orbiter 2016 use the original file, and just copy the SSU-specific parts into it.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'd just do a Revert on the entire installation which done by right clicking on the main Orbiter folder and selecting Revert from the TortoiseSVN subcommands. In the window that should come up make sure that the top checkbox "Select / deselect all" is checked.

Done it but unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. I ve also tried substituting the Earth.cfg file with the one from another install on the old PC but still the problem is there, so I am not surre this all depends on the Earth.cfg file... could it be some corrupted stuff in my Orbiter download? (could not use the torrent, I downloaded the separate .zip files)..

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
could it be some corrupted stuff in my Orbiter download?

Follow the troubleshooting instructions in the link I posted above to check the downloaded files for errors.