Gaming Elite: Dangerous

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I am surprised nobody has mentioned this here yet.

A newer Kickstarter for a new Elite

Elite: Dangerous

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous/

With Kickstarter now allowing UK based projects this seems to be on track to be one of the most funded games in Kickstarter history.

I personally have never played Elite. However, I have heard about it many times and I am quite impressed at what it was able to accomplish on such limited hardware for the time. So I plan on pledging if I can for this project.

2013 and 2014 are going to be good years in gaming with all these funded projects delivering in my opinion.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Look great, I posted the news on my forum also
(I played to the original Elite, I need C14 to recall my birth's date ;) )

APDAF

Reaction score
My dad has already put £20 towards it.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
A bit intrigued, but I'm pretty sure it will be hard to keep the appeal of the old games eheh

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ha, was already wondering when the breadbin would jump the kickstarter bandwagon. Might just be that all my jokes about "...when elite four comes out" might have been misplaced.

6 days in, already a third of the minimal sum. Looking good.

SHADO

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I’ve backed it. Let’s hope it lives up to the hype, if it gets off the ground.

Quote from the Kickstart page:

 Will you have Newtonian Physics in the game?

• Yes. The degree of the fly-by-wire to override the feeling of skidding is something we will carefully tune.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Would've been nice if their intro video actually showed some real screenshots/videos of what they currently have instead of just concept art. He seemed to have it running on multiple machines behind him, and I'd rather see the real thing (no matter how early a version) than concept art.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I’ve backed it. Let’s hope it lives up to the hype, if it gets off the ground.

Quote from the Kickstart page:

 Will you have Newtonian Physics in the game?

• Yes. The degree of the fly-by-wire to override the feeling of skidding is something we will carefully tune.

"skidding"

is this a reference to Newtonian Physics being that ships have linear inertia? that's what skidding sounds like to me. sort of like 3D asteroids

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
This is a cool project that quickly gained my interest, as it also supports PvP Multiplayer and won't have any subscription fees. I backed it with £85.

They announced, if you pledge more than £80, you will get all future updates/upgrades (like planetary landing and 1st person mode) for free.

The new backing tiers give you the different starting options (at the edge of explored space, in the secret founder's system, etc.), more starting cash, better ships (nothing that you can't achieve through playing it for a longer period of time, though).

This game has collected £1,032,000 of it's ambitious £1,250,000 goal so far. Funding ends on January 4th. It still has a limited amount of £20 (for the whole DRM free game) slots open.

Elite: Dangerous Teaser - YouTube

Elite: Dangerous - Kickstarter

Last edited:

Mister Kite

&#%!@?!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Almost there......
-----------------
There.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations Mr Braben. Now get to work and finish it. I've been waiting far to long for this one.

Pablo49

Reaction score
I was about to back this, but NeoGAF talked me out of it. Already weary of any project that has paid DLC's already planned this early. And my trust of Frontier isn't the greatest after RCT3. Star Citizen it is.

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
well, they said, that they don't want to rush features like planetary landings and 1st person mode if they are not well implemented. It is important for them to release the proper game, first.
As this game won't be subscription based, they have to make sure to generate a constant cash-flow through DLCs (for example to keep the Muliplayer servers running).

And developing a game with big publisher behind you can sometimes be very difficult when they don't see games as something that is supposed to be fun, but something that is supposed to make money. If you have "just" the fans to please, it could actually develop more into the direction that the developer wants (and not the game the publisher wants - which could sometimes be two completely different things). i think that is the reason why many games released in the past were sometimes disappointing to the fans and why developers like Chris Roberts, David Braben and Peter Molyneux chose the crowdfunded method over a traditional publisher. (who am I telling that, anyway? ;)

But it is your choice who to trust. Star Citizen is definitely an attractive looking game :)

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It's not Ingame. the blurb at the top of the page says:

The video also helped us develop other aspects of the game such as ship materials, GUI layout and special effects. Look out for David Braben's next dev diary where he will talk about why we created this video. We'll also follow up with a detailed art making of video to highlight how the artists benefitted from putting this video together.