Project Energia-M

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
OK, I see. Referring to the manual I see that I can have a single booster, so I'll have a [BOOSTER_1] and a [Booster_2]? Awesome!

Gotta go play around with an .ini file now, Thanks K_Jameson!!

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Hmm, there is something that I'm missing out on. I've got the look I want now, my references put the boosters on a 8 degree angle. With that in mind I edited the mesh(s), and renamed them accordingly. When I sat it on the launch platform at SRC Polygon (by Kultch), once I got the lat/long right, it fit like a glove.

But... (there is always a but isn't there), upon burnout, booster_1 ejects like it should, booster_2 also ejects, but in the same direction as booster_1.

Oops.jpg

Here you can see the port-side booster passing through the core stage. I've read the multistage manual, but I didn't see anything that addressed separation vectors, only translation and rotation speed. If nothing else I can always go back to the way it was with no problems (except the look won't be accurate).

Can anybody point me in the right direction, without me learning a crash course in programming a .dll?

Solved! I got a "I wonder..." moment while getting dinner at Subway (eat fresh!).
The solution was right in from of me, provided by Vinka by way of the demo scenario and rocket. I was more concerned about placement, via the offsets, that I just swapped on number for it's negative on the other side. As I found out, not needed, just the offset from centerline (and -z of course). The angle=x takes care of it for me. I was apparently thinking too hard about it.
Two test flights later and I've got a rocket and booster that look pretty close to right. Test flights will get me the data I need for a guidance file, but I'm going to recommend the UAP, with it there is no need to edit or re-write the guidance file for different inclinations.
So cross number 2 off the list.

Booster_sep1.jpg

Still on the punch-list is a simple tug of some kind, it'll take up space inside the fairing, but it's pretty much a requirement (I think).

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I had training this week on the day shift, screwed my sleeping hours all up. I'm either at work and tired, or at home and tired. But I managed to make a little progress today on a basic payload...

core.jpg

Taking inspiration from the Neesys that I've been hauling around, I made a shorter module. This should fit inside the fairing with a basic tug of some sorts. I thought about a basic cylinder, labelled "Article, test, 1 each. 27,000 kg". It would have been easier, but who wants to go with easy?

OK, adding stuff before I faceplant on the keyboard from sleep...
corewip.jpg

I think the thruster nozzles might be a bit too big.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think I'm about ready for an alpha-release. I need to spend some time on the documentation, but after writing, re-writing, and editing the guidance file, I can get 27000 Kg to a roughly circular orbit very nearly matching the ISS inclination when launched from KSC (that'd be a 'stock' scenario with no additional add-ons).

I want to have multiple guidance files to launch from SRC and Baikonur, so I've got some more to do. There is still some fine tuning to do. But I figure if I can get some feedback I'll know if I'm on the right page, or out in left-field somewhere...

Thorton

sense offender
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why dont you want to use it with UKSS addon?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I meant... [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4186"]Baikonur LC 250 (UKSS), release 1[/ame]

EnergiaM_WIP_again.jpg

This was from an earlier fit test when I only had a core meshed out. But yes, the LC 250 Energia pad would be listed in the manual as a "recommended add-on", along with the SRC Polygon facility.

And on the (side) topic on launch facilities, is anyone working on the "new" place, Vostochny?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And on the (side) topic on launch facilities, is anyone working on the "new" place, Vostochny?

Why, surveyors and construction workers, mostly. And Dmitry Pshenichnikov... Seriously, where are the blueprints 8)? I haven't yet looked at the site in Google Earth, it may be a good idea...

EDIT: some stuff is seen in this movie: http://www.youtube.com/v/JOK87gaWWC0

Attached is an awfully old GoogleEarth shot...

Attachments

• vostochny.jpg
    vostochny.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well... It ain't pretty, but...
basic_tug.jpg

Here's a generic, no frills tug I put together. I took inspiration from the tug that was included with the Ariane 6 from Momo and Jekka (available here http://www.orbiterfrancophone.com/index.php?disp=addons&id=28).
After much head-scratching, I started digging around to find out how other developers have done things in the past. I was apparently trying to re-invent the wheel.
Now off to edit some config files...

--edit--
Given the link from Tacolev, I don't feel nearly so bad now emulating the Fregat supplied with the Ariane6...
With the numbers available I think I can put something approaching credible together.

Last edited:

Tacolev

Reaction score
The tug from the Ariane 6 very much resembles the Russian Fregat so this seems to have come full circle.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

On closer inspection it appears to be the Fregat.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
When will it end? Or maybe "Don't Let It End". Thanks to the link provided by Tacolev, I've been able to work on the tug a bit. Still my skills (or lack of) cause me some frustration sometimes. The end result may be something more or less passable as a Fregat.
fregat.jpg

Using the Ariane 6 tug SC3 file as a guide it would seem they had built a super fregat. That thing is massively over-powered. I think I'll try to stay closer to the real numbers, but I still need to make it a bit more powerful than the real thing.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I have already realized a basic Fregat space tug, with correct dimensions and some minor modifications, for the Neptune-1 launch vehicle of Orbiter Italia... a basic mesh with no textures. If necessary, i can send you my mesh file.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
This Russian blog report might be of interest for those developing the Energia-M....
Link

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It's kinda sad to see some of those pictures. All that hardware now derelict.
But, and waaaay off the subject of Energia, with me having a weakness for red-heads that girl was kinda hot.

Now, back to the Energia... Tug work continues. While learning SC3 in the process.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's kinda sad to see some of those pictures. All that hardware now derelict.

In a strange twist of irony, as I was looking at these photos, Dust in the Wind by Kansas came up in the shuffle on my iPod. Fitting for the scene, but made it seem that much more sad.

And I'm right there with you about the red-head. ;)

Keep up the good work - it's looking great!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
With special thanks to K_Jameson, I'm nearly finished working on the tug. That mesh really helped me visualize some things I was having trouble with.
Still to do is the motor mount, and a few do-dads here and there. If I'm able I'll animate the antenna mounts to swing out 90 degrees. But that will also delay the finished project, so maybe later...

nearly_there1.jpg

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Looking good :thumbup:

I don't think the antenna animations will be too difficult (playing the optimist, I am), and will certainly add to the overall "feel" to this project.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Due to time (the fire in which we burn), I'm having to re-think this a bit... My intention was to have the fregat and it's payload as a single mesh, then the fregat by itself once the payload is jettisoned. This is how the Jekka and Momo team did it with their Ariane 6.
But that's a whole lot of work to create (or recreate) a whole slew of payloads.
So. Since it's handy, simpler and much quicker, the fregat will wind up (for now) the second stage of the launch vehicle. The user can then add whatever payload they desire using the .ini file. On the plus side I can be done in a few days. The bad side is there's no antenna animation.

Here's the fregat nearly completed...

Fregat1.jpg

Depending on how these show up in Orbiter I'm tempted to leave the materials "as-is".

Edit - - -
I don't know... After seeing it Orbiter the textures don't look all that great. But then again, they don't make me want to hurl either. After some trial and error, I'm going to have to take another look at the guidance files. They work for the most part, but UAP behaves drastically different. It did really well as a single stage, but kinda funky with the fregat as a second stage. More to come...

I'd considered adding the optional fuel tank, perhaps it'll be in Rev 2.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Almost there...
Just a bit of tweaking on some guidance files, but to find out if the adjustment was a good one or not I have to sit through nearly 7 minutes of flight.
I did manage to get the tug/payload to lunar orbit using LTMFD. So that much works as advertised. I don't know IMFD well enough to try for Venus from a vertical launch.

Departing_Baikonur.jpg

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Thanks! It won't be long now. I'm working through some packaging and naming issues on a beta release.
It should be ready in a week or so. Perhaps even Tuesday?

After I take a break from this, version 2 should sport a better looking (read textured) fregat, and I'd like to learn how to use Blender. So, reworkedm meshes. The core stage 'boat-tail' doesn't much resemble the design drawings, so a re-do is on the punch list.

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
awesome! Excellant work on mesh and textures... i can't wait to do a flight test!