OHM Eris Explorer

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
This mission is a fictional mission to the outermost and largest dwarf-planet, Eris, and its moon Dysnomia. The design of the probe and the mission is based on current technologies. To get there, you need to do flybys of the three largest planets, Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune. While flying-by, you drop a ballon-suspended probe into each atmosphere. This mission is not for the faint-hearted, you need a a good knowledge of how to do multiple flybys, and a lot of patience. Even at 100,000x speed, it takes at least 3 hours of flying to get to Eris and Dysnomia. You also need to watch your fuel use, too many course corrections, or too much use of the attitude thrusters and you will be flying by Eris with a dead spacecraft. *****REQUIRED ADDONS***** Outer planets 060929 - Rolf Keibel, Carl Romanik, Tony Dunn http://library.avsim.net/index.php?CatID=orbmisc Eris and Dysnomia - Joseph Morgan [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1343"]Eris and Dysnomia[/ame] Delta 4 Heavy Versatile - francisdrake [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=902"]Delta 4 Heavy Versatile - Vers. 0.51[/ame]

[ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3380]More...[/ame]

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Legacy Reviews

Legacy Add-on Reviews from Orbit Hangar Mods

Review by astrosammy
Pros: Beautiful Mission, gives you a huge satisfication.
Cons: Launcher is hard to control, I'd prefer the Velcro version.
Review:
Beautiful mission! I succesfully completed the mission with a 80km flyby of Eris, and with every probe dropped. It was one of my greates flights in Orbiter, and fits perfectly to my TransX skills. Now it's time to fly the Io Orbiter. Thank you for this mission!

rseferino

Orbiter amateur filmmaker
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The add-on "Delta 4 Heavy Versatile. - Vers 0.51" does not work in Orbiter 2010.

I could adapt the Eris probe with Delta 4 Heavy Lifter, I try to separation of the probe into orbit presents a critical error and closes Orbiter.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4793"]Delta 4 Heavy Lifter[/ame]

eris-1: launch
eris-2: parking orbit

Attachments

• eris-1.scn
    998 bytes · Views: 14
  • eris-2.scn
    2 KB · Views: 7

Nicholander

Reaction score
Why not use [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5556"]Delta Heavy Lifter 3.0[/ame] instead of that old version?

Nicholander

Reaction score
I tried it, I get the exact same thing. Maybe the Delta Heavy Lifter doesn't like lifting spacecraft3 payloads, maybe you can try doing something with the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5177"]spacecraft3 to DLL converter[/ame].

rseferino

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Bingo!!! The solution is the post 36. It must be created Erisprobe.cfg and place it in the folder Config/Vessels.

I'll try it with other payloads. :cheers:

Nicholander

Reaction score
It seems to be working! But, the 3 atmospheric probes don't appear on the Eris Explorer. This is what is in Erisprobe.cfg:
Code:
; === Configuration file for ErisProbeLaunch ===
ClassName = ErisProbeLaunch
Module = spacecraft3
Any ideas?

rseferino

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It's something that comes from the add-on was created. In the readme of "Eris Probe" appears something about that.

Code:
*****IMPORTANT NOTES*****
After your jettison the probe from the upperstage of the Delty IV Heavy, you will notice that the 3 atmospheric probes are missing.  You have to quicksave the file, then open the file and add the following lines to the Ship section:

AtmProbeLaunch1:Spacecraft\Spacecraft3
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  ATTACHED 0:0,ErisProbe
  FUEL 1.000
END
AtmProbeLaunch2:Spacecraft\Spacecraft3
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  ATTACHED 0:1,ErisProbe
  FUEL 1.000
END
AtmProbeLaunch3:Spacecraft\Spacecraft3
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  ATTACHED 0:2,ErisProbe
  FUEL 1.000
END

After this, restart from the quicksave, and the probes will be there.  Press K to deploy the magnetometer boom.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Why not use Delta Heavy Lifter 3.0 instead of that old version?

It's a beautiful add-on, but it is very buggy in my opinion. Also, the launch autopilot is based on a misunderstanding of the mathematics involved. The final orbit will have an inclination that is several degrees off of the one you request- this simply isn't accurate enough to launch an interplanetary probe.

There is no reason to use a Delta just because the original one did. There are other great .dll launchers- SpaceX, Jarvis, etc.

Nicholander

Reaction score
I don't know how to set up IMFD to go to Jupiter, also, how would I get IMFD to make the probe go on a flyby course, rather than a intercept course? Yeah, I'm trying to fly this mission, and I don't know how too.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Nicholander, it took me about 3 months to really learn IMFD, and I still learn new things.

You need to start with the tutorial lessons. Slingshot encounters will come when you are ready. :cheers:

rseferino

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Anyone who has flown this mission? I did it in TransX and finished with 18 kg of fuel, could not set the date of arrival for a close flyby of Dysnomia. Sure, with fuel for a delta-V of 1000 m/sec, but the course-correction burn after releasing the atmospheric probes consumed much of that fuel.

Attachments

• orbiter 2014-12-09 23-44-35-99.jpg
    orbiter 2014-12-09 23-44-35-99.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 35
  • orbiter 2014-12-09 23-44-41-20.jpg
    orbiter 2014-12-09 23-44-41-20.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 21
  • orbiter 2014-12-09 23-51-38-22.jpg
    orbiter 2014-12-09 23-51-38-22.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 19

barrygolden

Reaction score
Had the chance to check out some of your films. Great job with those. I did see a scene where your looking at the earth and I see orbital tracking of the spacecraft and wondering if that could be used in an MFD? you might think about doing a real time ISS tracking scenario.

Nicholander

Reaction score
Just a little question rseferino, what were the times (In MJD) that you arrived at Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune? I think it'd be helpful when trying to set up the IMFD.

brainandforce

Reaction score
I'd like to note that the principal moments of inertia for the Eris Explorer are way, way off. They should be around 100 times less (they came out as (1.6,1.6,1.15) and that's what I've been using in my modded config file). That's what's been eating up the rotation thrusters' fuel on the missions.