News ESA's Future: The News and Updates Thread

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com

Thanks for that. From the images it looks like the Airbus-Safran design will use the same Ariane 5 core but with smaller side boosters. This might be cheaper than the design that puts an additional Vulcain on the core stage. Still, that second Vulcain would allow you to carry larger payload with the same side boosters, plus it would have the flexibility to fly as a reusable first stage.

Bob Clark

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, the decision is not till December, and I'm sure there's a lot of horse-trading going on. ESA should be careful or they are going to have a large range of rockets and price themselves out the market.
Of course, they could just go with Skylon http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/, but I'm biased...

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Europe settles on design for Ariane 6 rocket

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35435108

The design for Europe's new Ariane 6 rocket has been settled and development will now move on apace, say officials.

The launcher is due to be introduced in 2020 and long-term will replace the Ariane 5 and Soyuz vehicles that currently operate out of French Guiana.

Airbus Safran Launchers, the company set up exactly one year ago to build the new rocket, is in the process of pulling together its subcontractors.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35983735

The dream is moving to reality. That was the message from European Space Agency boss, Jan Woerner, on Wednesday as he discussed the Ariane 6 rocket.

The director general was touring the Airbus Safran Launchers facilities at Les Mureaux, France, where much of the future vehicle will be integrated.

Reporters were shown the progress being made towards a 2020 maiden flight.

This included a spin around the inside of a digital model of the final design for the rocket, 3D glasses supplied.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
They must stop trying that cr.p and send a realtime video probe to the Apollo landing places in hi-resolution, broadcast in realtime and when we see something (analysed in an independent scientific manner) then we'll start talking.

;)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I take some of it back, the content is valid, but it seems a bit...weak? Not sure who its aimed at.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They must stop trying that cr.p and send a realtime video probe to the Apollo landing places in hi-resolution, broadcast in realtime and when we see something (analysed in an independent scientific manner) then we'll start talking.

;)

Will you pay it?

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

I take some of it back, the content is valid, but it seems a bit...weak? Not sure who its aimed at.

N.

I think it is about the upcoming events... after all, ESA is going to the moon as well, with the USA.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Will you pay it?
You've inadvertently nailed it..

Speculating here:-
1st rocket to low moon polar orbit

A light weight payload (1000-2000Kg ??)
- multi-spectrum radiation sensor.
- long range laser thermal sensors
- Super hires camera (what's the max pixel range available today)
- Radiation shielding
- Comms stuff
- polar orbit configuration fuel

+-3000Dv from earth to moon
+-12000Dv to orbit from Oith

Not a very big rocket ..

The trick is.. who would benefit from this type of adventure (besides wo/mankind). Who would like to thumb their noses at the lying powers... another lying power (of course) North Korea.

Or how about advertising power.... Yup.. our beer cans were there before Niel Armstrong :lol:

Then there's crowd funding - sh.t there are so many non-believers ('Kfirs') - this is an untapped market.

This would surely be an interesting adventure ... ;)
:rofl:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I know that Ariane V launches are rarely worth being news today, but the launch tomorrow will:

It will haul a record payload mass of 10.731 tons to GTO.

http://www.dlr.de/blogs/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-7023/11643_read-894

The launch was initially supposed to take place last week, but a leak at one of the fill/drain lines to the cryogenic upperstage discovered during a routine check before roll-out meant that the launch was pushed back.

Launch kit: http://www.arianespace.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/VA230-launchkit-EN-2.pdf

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Don't know about that, I have a superficial knowledge of the Arianne(spelling mostly...)

Four in one package, that's impressive though, maybe a record for its class?

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Don't know about that, I have a superficial knowledge of the Arianne(spelling mostly...)

Four in one package, that's impressive though, maybe a record for its class?

N.

Not really - I remember Titan IIIC launchers to place twice as many "large" satellites into orbit. If you count nano-sat dispensers, some Russian Dneprs likely set the record.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
maybe a record for its class?

Have I declared a class, but not defined it?....

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
French space minister calls for European rocket R&D effort, says SpaceX victory still TBD (Peter B. de Selding @ SpaceNews)

So they are considering a future reusable launch vehicle with 5-7 methane/LOX engines on the first stage.

Still, not a new phenomena. Essentially it is about turning a CNES project into a ESA project and find others to pay the show.

https://presse.cnes.fr/sites/default/files/drupal/201606/default/cp_cnes_va.pdf

If you are reading it carefully, they are not copying SpaceX, but NASA, the 3D-printing of components is the biggest R&D item there.