OHM FalconHeavy

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
UPDATE 160703 Upgraded performance, improved 1st stage landing algorithm, added crossfeed rate setting option, core-only throttling during ascent autopilot, reentry charring and max-q effects, engine illumination, etc.

New scenario parameter format - !OLD SCENARIOS MAY NOT BE COMPATIBLE!
(you may lose flyback settings, etc.)
New test scenarios with increased satellite masses, altered landing pad positions, etc.

Probably a good idea to delete the old Falcon9H folders before installing the new version.

Cheers,
BrianJ

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
An interesting new maneuver that (I believe) was implemented during CRS-9 is the "fast-flip" maneuver the first stage performs right after stage separation so that the first stage is closer to the landing pad when the boost back burn begins, thus requiring less fuel for RTLS.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
An interesting new maneuver that (I believe) was implemented during CRS-9 is the "fast-flip" maneuver the first stage performs right after stage separation so that the first stage is closer to the landing pad when the boost back burn begins, thus requiring less fuel for RTLS.
Yes - only 10s between "start of flip" and "boostback started" callouts. Assuming the stage turns ~180deg, that's a lot quicker than my add-on.
I'll see if I can make that work, but it's going to use more RCS propellant which is limited. I wonder how much RCS prop. they actually carry?
Cheers,
Brian

PDF

Addon Developer = Media Render
Reaction score
Website
www.planetarydefensefoundation.com
Greetings, I am still getting a CTD when selecting F1 for internal view, Orbiter Log States =

Code:
000000.000: ---------------------------------------------------------------
000000.000: >>> WARNING: Obsolete API function used: VESSEL::GetHorizonAirspeedVector
000000.000: At least one active module is accessing an obsolete interface function.
000000.000: Addons which rely on obsolete functions may not be compatible with
000000.000: future versions of Orbiter.
000000.000: ---------------------------------------------------------------
000000.010: ---------------------------------------------------------------
000000.010: >>> WARNING: Obsolete API function used: VESSEL::GetShipAirspeedVector
000000.010: At least one active module is accessing an obsolete interface function.
000000.010: Addons which rely on obsolete functions may not be compatible with
000000.010: future versions of Orbiter.
000000.010: ---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Greetings, I am still getting a CTD when selecting Thank you
Hi,
you'll need the OrbiterBeta r.55 modules (which I think still works with Orbiter2016).
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6770"]FalconHeavy for OrbiterBeta r.55[/ame]

Delete existing FalconHeavy scenarios and then install, overwrite everything.

Be aware that the OrbiterBeta r.55 version is an earlier, less powerful version, will have trouble lofting the test-mass satellites in scenarios.

I really need to update this properly for Orbiter2016 (soon).

Cheers,
Brian

Mully

Reaction score
Absolutely love your FH add on. My fav by far. I know your busy but just wanted to add a wish list. These are by no means complaints either. Remove landing legs and grid fins for non expendable stacks, even if only in numbers (visuals not required just mass). Thrust back to full after max-q on the core stage. RCS rate reduction; Using "Prograde" only to roll the stack 90 degrees uses ~28% of RCS reserves. I think a more realistic value would be 1/4-1/8 the actual rates (not sure if this is beyond your control). Like I said not a gripe list just a wish list. Thanks for the great add on!!!!!

KrazyKyle

Reaction score
Wonderful ship! I just figured out how to make it a DG launcher.

Marijn

Reaction score
Could it be that the real Falcon Heavy jettisons it's fairings not to the side of the boosters as the add-on does (and what it looks like on the website of SpaceX), but actually 90 degrees rotated, so towards the front and back?

I came to this conclusion after studying the few pictures of the actual FH in an effort to change te textures to match the real thing. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be easy.

From the close-up picture of the fairings on a trailer, I figured that the black FH letters must be centered on each fairing because there is no vertical line visible running across separating the two shells. From the picture of the FH sitting on the launchpad now, the FH letters are clearly facing towards the front and back and not towards the side of the outer boosters. That means the direction of jettison must be towards the front and back right?

I figured that swapping the left and right parts of the fairing texture fixes this at least visually. But then the texture gets distorted when wrapped around and it does not look good. And the same problem would arise to match the SpaceX logo on the centre booster which is facing forward as well instead of sideways.

I hope you can address these in a future update. Thanks for this add-on!