General Question fastest way to fly to the moon and other planets?

spaceman1987

Reaction score
Hi does anybody know what spacecraft on orbiter will fly the fastest to get to the moon and other planets near the earth?
I would like to fly and land on the moon about 1 to 2 hours of flight will that be possible with any spacecraft or not?

thanks.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Nothing will get you to the Moon that fast.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Do you mean 1 to 2 hours real time, or with time accel. To my knowledge, there isn't a ship that can get there in 2 hours realtime, but with time accel, it possible with many. I've gotten to the moon relatively quickly using the DG, DGIV, and the XR2. I'm sure the XR5 could get their quickly also.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi does anybody know what spacecraft on orbiter will fly the fastest to get to the moon and other planets near the earth?
I would like to fly and land on the moon about 1 to 2 hours of flight will that be possible with any spacecraft or not?

thanks.
Well, there are many fantasy vessels out there that could do it in a few minutes. I'm sure the UCGO Arrow would be capable of doing it in less than half a day easily. I haven't pushed it to its limits yet. :hmm:

Also, this is sort of unrelated but I once fired an Atlantis SRB out of a HARP cannon at Baikonur and it hit Copernicus after 20 minutes of flight. I set some ungodly muzzle velocity, though. It was hilarious. :rofl:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
you can use Rwarp MFD to get there in a few seconds!

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1471"]LSS-Photon[/ame] can do the moon trip in a few seconds.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i just did a trip to the Moon in an XR-2, it took just over 7 days, in reality, it all depends on how quickly your craft can accelerate, and how quckly it can decelerate (without killing its crew), if you imagine travelling at lightspeed, if you could come to stable orbiting speed right as you hit the Perilune, you could essentially make a trans-lunar insertion in a few seconds, but in real life, your acceleration is limited by your crew's survivability (id say roughly 5G accleeration, making it just under 50m/s^2 acceleration) which would make the journey about a week long, maybe a day shorter i think.

or in terms of the virtual orbiter world, you could do it instantly if you just slew or warp :p

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
a week?? why does it take you a week?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
You can use the arrow and IMFD, you'll waste a lot of delta-v but it could probably do it in 2 hours.
I tend to spend 2-3 days doing a lunar transfer.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If you need more than 3 days and less than 3 months, you did something wrong in your calculations. You can get to the moon in more complex trajectories than just a single orbit, but these only make sense for unmanned missions.

With a DG, you can get to the moon easily in 24 hours, without refueling.Landing is just a bit tougher, since you will be pretty short on fuel then.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What exactly is a 'slew?' I've heard several references to it on this forum, but it doesn't match up with my definition (or Wikipedia's, which has to do with attitude control and not celestial motion.) Is it Orbiter-specific lingo?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What exactly is a 'slew?' I've heard several references to it on this forum, but it doesn't match up with my definition (or Wikipedia's, which has to do with attitude control and not celestial motion.) Is it Orbiter-specific lingo?

To slew is to change the orientation in space. It is not Orbiter-specific, but general spaceflight lingo.

For example, here: http://www.onera.fr/eucass/2005/Proceedings/3.03.06.pdf

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To slew is to change the orientation in space. It is not Orbiter-specific, but general spaceflight lingo.

For example, here: http://www.onera.fr/eucass/2005/Proceedings/3.03.06.pdf
That's what I thought it was. I meant its use in Grover's sentence "you could do it instantly if you just slew or warp." Also, on the LSS-Photon page, there's a note: "Note: This is not the same as slewing." :shrug:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's what I thought it was. I meant its use in Grover's sentence "you could do it instantly if you just slew or warp." Also, on the LSS-Photon page, there's a note: "Note: This is not the same as slewing." :shrug:
FSX uses "slew mode" as a mode where you "fly" around directly from one point to the next without actually worrying about aerodynamics or nonsense like that. I imagine that's what Grover meant, with the Orbiter version of that being opening the scenario editor...

spaceman1987

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys
by the way do any of the spacecrafts in orbiter besides the shuttle even exist in real life?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
by the way do any of the spacecrafts in orbiter besides the shuttle even exist in real life?

ISS does, MIR does. The DG and Shuttle-A are fictional but google would have told you that.

The DG is there as a good training vessel as it's got a lot more DeltaV than the shuttle.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
also you can download (pretty much) the the entire history of rocketry, a few selected airplanes, as well as payload launch vehicles such as Titan V and even the Orion project and historical experimental planes etc etc... and also some projects that never flew but were very real.

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

Oh and i think there might be a taxicab, those exist too