News Felix Baumgartner, 23 miles balloon jump.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
index.php

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Space program? Baumgartner had not even left the stratosphere. He was not even half as high as the limit to space in the USA, which is lower than in the rest of the world (USA: End of mesosphere, 85 km, ROW&FAI: Karman line, 100 km)

Also if we would put as many cameras on the ISS for watching EVAs, I doubt as many would watch the second EVA as the first one... and after a month of ISS, nobody would really watch at all.

Baumgartner did something impressive, but it has not much in common with space. But it might have real applications for launch aborts, if the data of the drop is useful. Baumgartners medical advisor Jonathan Clark might have had his own agenda there, his wife was killed in the Columbia accident.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There are a lot of Turkish people in the comments that, for some reason, keep claiming Felix is a fellow Turk, even though he was born in Salzburg, Austria.

And I bet there are quite some folks that think he is from down under. Austria and Australia sound so similar that we could put a kangaroo as our heraldic animal instead of the eagle. And nobody would notice (or even care)...

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Space program? Baumgartner had not even left the stratosphere. He was not even half as high as the limit to space in the USA, which is lower than in the rest of the world (USA: End of mesosphere, 85 km, ROW&FAI: Karman line, 100 km)

Also if we would put as many cameras on the ISS for watching EVAs, I doubt as many would watch the second EVA as the first one... and after a month of ISS, nobody would really watch at all.

Baumgartner did something impressive, but it has not much in common with space. But it might have real applications for launch aborts, if the data of the drop is useful. Baumgartners medical advisor Jonathan Clark might have had his own agenda there, his wife was killed in the Columbia accident.

Not much use in the Columbia situation. Its nice to know that stationary drops from this altitude are survivable, but once you have more than 1-2 kps, the deaceleration friction is still going to roast you in any spacesuit.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Post-jump press conference replay is up:

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It turns out that Felix did not only break the record for highest balloon flight, highest jump, first to break the speed of sound without a vehicle and longest free fall (phew), the event is now the most viewed event on YouTube live stream. Eight million people watched the event live on YouTube.

The source, for the Orbinauts who read Norwegian :p , is here.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
O-F Staff Note: Thread closed pending review.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
O-F Staff Note: 25 off-topic posts moved to The Basement here and thread reopened. Feel free to continue the off-topic discussion there, but let's please stay on-topic in this thread. Thanks.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Question, is that the theoretical limits a balloon of any size could go? If you got one that's bigger, could you go higher? Silly question, but I would love to see one day this stunt repeated. RedBull received a TON of advertising off this.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
It turns out that Felix did not only break the record for highest balloon flight, highest jump, first to break the speed of sound without a vehicle and longest free fall (phew), the event is now the most viewed event on YouTube live stream. Eight million people watched the event live on YouTube.

The source, for the Orbinauts who read Norwegian :p , is here.

I watched the live feed and was under the impression he missed the longest freefall by 10 or 15 seconds. The onscreen reference they were showing said something like 4:32 and his fall timer said something like 4:15(didn't see exact time) when I saw the chute open. Was the clock not synchronized correctly?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Funny phenomena about the significance: The TV station n-tv which usually had 1% of the viewers on a Sunday evening, was watched by 20% because of Baumgartner. More than the usually winning Tagesschau. It was watched by only 16% of the German TV audience

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
While the world watched Baumgartner's ultra-high-altitude jumping, one my good friend has made her 3rd parachute jump and has now got a category in parachuting! :cheers: They did it practically at the same time. :)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I watched the live feed and was under the impression he missed the longest freefall by 10 or 15 seconds. The onscreen reference they were showing said something like 4:32 and his fall timer said something like 4:15(didn't see exact time) when I saw the chute open. Was the clock not synchronized correctly?
I thought that he just decided not to break Kittinger's record in a (sort of) "form of respect" for the older colleague.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

That's pretty much the joke:

One need not have a manned spaceflight program to have a better manned spaceflight program than the US these days.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I thought that he just decided not to break Kittinger's record in a (sort of) "form of respect" for the older colleague.

That would make little sense. Records are meant to be broken, Kittinger knows that and I think he'd rather have Baumgartner do it rather that someone he doesn't know about and didn't work with. Baumgartner did the right thing and played it on the safe side, he's not an adrenalin junkie.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also Kittinger was sort of passing the flame to Baumgartner by being his CAPCOM during the flight and advising the team during the preparations. Kittinger couldn't have done it himself, but he did the best he can to see his own record broken. A bit like the old Master / Apprentice thing, with Baumgartner delivering his own master piece.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I wonder if Felix deliberately pulled the cord a few seconds early so the longest freefall record would still be in his mentors name....makes you wonder!

MattBaker

Reaction score
I wonder if Felix deliberately pulled the cord a few seconds early so the longest freefall record would still be in his mentors name....makes you wonder!

In the press conference he said he didn't pull early.
He had to pull at that point because in case something goes wrong with the main chute he needs enough time to eventually cut the cords and open a secondary chute. You can't open your 2nd chute at 100 meter altitude, so he had to pull this "early".

Kittinger was slower, because he jumped with a drogue chute. If I'm driving 30 kilometers with my bike I also need more time than someone driving 40 kilometers with his car.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In the press conference he said he didn't pull early.

He had pulled slightly early. Planned was 1500 meters (still pretty high for parachutists), but he pulled already at 3000 meters. Even if he would have waited until 1500 meters, he would have been too fast to get the record.