Question Fly By Wire Problem

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
has anyone experienced a problem with fly-by-wire and the use of Saitek rudder pedals?

The software sees the foot controller, and even gives the option to use the brake axis but the actual rudder axis does not seem to work...

Any ideas on this would be appreciated

Dambuster

Reaction score
has anyone experienced a problem with fly-by-wire and the use of Saitek rudder pedals?

The software sees the foot controller, and even gives the option to use the brake axis but the actual rudder axis does not seem to work...

Any ideas on this would be appreciated

Have you tried redoing your mappings on a fresh Orbiter install? Once I was having problems with my X-52, and I think redoing the FBW on a new install, and then copying the new files over to my main installation fixed it.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Have you tried redoing your mappings on a fresh Orbiter install? Once I was having problems with my X-52, and I think redoing the FBW on a new install, and then copying the new files over to my main installation fixed it.

I just attempted to try your fix with no success.. :( Here I was thinking that I was gonna get a easy fix, I should have known better ;)

Just to clarify what the problem is...

1) Fly By Wire does see the controller
2) Fly By Wire also sees the three axis the rudder pedal controller has
3) while pushing the brakes and moving the rudder pedals, the blue bar doesn't move, yet the brake axis does
4) Clean install of orbiter with only Fly-by-wire software installed and activated has the same problem as my main working copy

Help me redburne!

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The problem is that the name of the controller has a space at the end of it, so it's not getting properly saved in the config file. There's a thread somewhere on the forum that has a fix, I think...

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
it is not having a problem saving the change into the config file, the problem is that the axis doesn't move in Fly by wire...

For those of you that are not familiar with the Saitek pedals, let me first say they are awesome, I don't recommend trying to fly a helichopter in Flight Simulator X without them.... They are also not just rudder control, they have a brake on each foot and really makes taxying very easy and honestly fun

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
it is not having a problem saving the change into the config file, the problem is that the axis doesn't move in Fly by wire...

For those of you that are not familiar with the Saitek pedals, let me first say they are awesome, I don't recommend trying to fly a helichopter in Flight Simulator X without them.... They are also not just rudder control, they have a brake on each foot and really makes taxying very easy and honestly fun
Please read the "Fly-By-Wire 0.9 Discussion" thread in which you posted and download the fix which was in this post:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=110414

The problem is that the joystick name has a trailing space, which isn't read from the config file, so he had to put quotes around the name in the config file.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I carefully read the post on how to fix it but that didn't do anything for me... Still have FBW ignoring the axis. I am convinced that the Rotary 2 problem with the X52 and also the X52 Pro is similar and most likely the cause of the problem. If there is anyone out there with the Pro Flight Rudder Pedals and has tried FBW and you have had success, please drop a reply here with your process to make it work

Last edited:

Redburne

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It is indeed very likely that the problem is related to the Rot2 issue with the X52.
I'm using the SDL library to access the joysticks, and I supect it is the culprit in this case.

Time permitting, I'll recompile FBW with the latest SDL library before I put the latest fix on OH.

Redburne

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I just checked, and unfortunately, the bundled sdl library is already the latest version.
If I find another program using SDL for game controller handling, I'll check if it has the same problems with my X52.
I may be doing something wrong, after all ... (but accessing the joystick axes in SDL is pretty straightforward; not much room for such a peculiar problem)

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
thanks for the replies and the new version of FBW...

Do you have any theories about the problem I am experiencing?

Buzz313th

Reaction score
I am also having the same issue with FBW and the Saitek X52 and rudder pedal combo.

FBW sees and comunicates with all the other axis except the rudder pedal yaw axis.

I am also looking for a fix.

JB

Blargen

Reaction score
Im glad to hear im not the only one experiancing these problems(Yay my pedals dont hate me!). Sadly I have no idea why this problem occours. I would try to re-write the program but I lack the knowlage to do so (complete dolt).

Has anyone tried to contact the creator of the program? (im to lazy:p)

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
did anyone ever find a solution for this?

as of now, im trying to compile my own joystick solution, so desperate i am...

i ca't seem to find any functions that would allow me to "inject" input values into thrustergroups and airfoils... where should i look for those? is it a vessel thing?