"From the Earth to The Moon" an AMSO 1.17 Apollo 11 Full Mission Tutorial Using IMFD

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
Cool!

Cool I just updated the tutorial to include the M in red. I also added some parts that I will be adding to later. The parts were excluded before for some unknown reason. I realized today that I needed to add them soon. So I will be adding to those parts to complete the tutorial as soon as possible.

Enjoy all.

TeddyJohn

Reaction score
FYI

Cool I just updated the tutorial to include the M in red. I also added some parts that I will be adding to later. The parts were excluded before for some unknown reason. I realized today that I needed to add them soon. So I will be adding to those parts to complete the tutorial as soon as possible.

Enjoy all.

I saw that-
your tutorial has really helped me enjoy AMSO. I just completed an attempt at the Apollo 11, setting my PeA at 110 k, instead of 80 k.
I achieved LOI with 116 K PeA and 117.2 k ApA with 32.4% fuel remaning.

Oh yeah, I was 10 minutes earlier than the historical time. Now, I can go for landing and the return trip home.
Thanks again,
TJ-

skunkie

Reaction score
mid course correction

having Problem getting a god MCC Burn keeps throwing me off my original path How do i know when to do a MCC and is planet approach the best way that is what I have been using what settings do I need to make with approach to get on the right path to the Moon

TeddyJohn

Reaction score
having Problem getting a god MCC Burn keeps throwing me off my original path How do i know when to do a MCC and is planet approach the best way that is what I have been using what settings do I need to make with approach to get on the right path to the Moon

Planet Approach is correct. There are many solutions depending on variables, but your first burn should be outside SOI, and another closer to the moon. Just remember that the Apollo astronauts spent many hours in a simulator before they got it right. You're not alone.

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
My Recommendation

Although the tutorial doesnt have this section yet, I can try and help you.
During your trans lunar coast (when your going to the moon) You will want to keep the map program up but without the PLN button on. In other words press Pln in IMFD Map to see your true path not the planned path.

At the end of your TLI you the tutorial will tell you to

"About 30 minutes later the command/service module pair separated from the last remaining Saturn V stage and docked with the lunar module still nestled in the Lunar Module Adaptor." 1

You will then have to eject the empty Saturn V Stage pulling the Lunar Module out. When you do this your combined vehicle mass will change and you should see a change in your PeA and GET time in RMFD Map program (green interception path) You must turn off Plan to see this true green colored path.

You may then to a mid cours correction at this time to correct for this change in mass that should be very small burn or you can trim burn(RCS in translation mode). The quads can be used to fine tune your PeA and GET to 80km, and GET 75:54:29 again.
-OR-
You can wait until you are just about to leave the earth's SOI and do the MCC. NASA did this, and you can do this. Its just not in the tutorial yet.
You will want to face the two attached vehicles to Prograde to do this burn. Alternatively you can use Delta Velocity located in the Cours section in the LMFD IMFD. Set all the parameters to dVf 0.000, dVp 0.000, dVo 0.000 and Tot 0.000. Let it find your correct attitude to burn on by pressing AB and then do your RCS short burns. When you get close to 80km or your desired PeA altitude, use CTRL+Numpad 9 and 6 to change your PeA. If your original TLI was programmed to get you to the moon's PeA at 80km at GET 75:54:29, then you should see close to that GET after setting your PeA back to 80km at transluner MCC#1.

I have found that doing 1 MCC after jettesoning the Sat V stage 3 is all I need due to how accurate IMFD is. I arrive very much on time and at the correct PeA.
Delta Velocity can be used for doing all your MCCs because it allows you to change all 3 of the axis. If you dont want to mess with your intercept location near the moon, you can simply change the dVf parameter to fix your altitude near the moon.

Let me know if this helps.

1 Apollo 11 Wikipedia

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Thank you Sir

Excellent contribution Adam! ;)

Thank you Sir! I just want people to be able to come here and find what they need in one document. Its getting longer by the day so I hope to finish it soon.
I have also begun several other tutorials.
"From the Earth to The Moon" an AMSO 1.17 Apollo 8 Full Mission Tutorial w IMFD 5.1m

"When We Left The Earth" Episode 1 a Mercury Program Tutorial

and
"When We Left The Earth" Episode 6 a Default Space Shuttle STS to ISS Tutorial

skunkie

Reaction score
Thanx again Good explanation got into orbit no problem on the moon with Pea 88k
and landed at base on moon what is there to do During the moonwalks can you pick up rocks and plant Flag and Stuff?
And how do you end an EVA and get The astronauts back in the LM?

Last edited:

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Well Hey

Well Hey.

Im glad to hear that you are on the Moon. You can go get rocks and plant the flag etc.
You may want to read the AMSO documentation for the EVA experiments and activities keyboard info.
I am not sure what buttons to press to EVA (maybe "E") and then to get back in, If I remember correctly you must be standing like on top of the ladder to get back in and I dont remember wht button it is. Feel free to list your findings on this here.

This is a case where I havent posted this information to my tutorial -YET. As I saw a need for a TLI and TEI tutorial for IMFD 5.1x I and AMSO I focused on what I knew about those programs and posted them first. Leaving the other mission proceedures kind of for the last. This is one of those programs I felt were not a huge priority.
Hence, I dont have a difinitive answer for you on this activity. In the future you can bet that if its not posted to the tutorial yet, I probably havent compiled the information for posting yet so those areas you will need to improvise and basically you will be the expert on any sections that are empty in my tutorial as of this moment.

Sorry skunkie. You have been a good tester of my tutorial and I will try and find that info for you eventually and post it to the tutorial.

skunkie

Reaction score
for the amso you press k from the LM to start The EVA you have to Hit K each time for both Astronauts to start While on the Surface a menu will pop up and it says to hit j to get rocks and K to use drill if you are close to it But Not Sure How you get the drill out to get soil samples and dont know how to Plant the Flag when you try to go back to the LM you just walk thru it it wont let you go up the ladder and it also says to hit J to start ascent prep but ti does not work with bot of them out of the LM The Problem with the ASMO doc is it is in french i will keep looking for Info on it and post it when I get it The Tutorial is going good it is easy to use and the best one going once it is complete from launch to splashdown it will be a great Tutorial

skunkie

Reaction score
I found the Info on the Apollo moonwalks this is from the AMSO word doc that comes with it It Does not show what keys to use but the maps are useful.. Once you land at Moon base Hit K to start first astronaut EVA stand Close to the LM but Not By the ladder and Hit J.. that will give you the Flag from the LM Hold.. Plant the Flag where you want by hitting J again then go back and keep getting lab items from the hold and placing them with the J key... that last item you will get out is the drill.. you can locate the moon rocks by using F3 and selecting them from the list... Pick up all 6 rocks by standing next to them and using the J key... then you reenter the Lm by standing in front of the ladder and Hitting J. Dont stay out too long or you will run out of Oxygen then hit k to start next EVA stand by drill and hit k to drill for a carrot then locate and pick up the rest of the rocks

EVA ON THE MOON

For all lunar missions simulated in AMSO, you will have to accomplish all historical EVA. You may even simulate a fictitious successful Apollo 13 mission, which will be, in this case, identical to the Apollo 14 mission. For mission since Apollo 15, you will have to deploy and use the LRV vehicle, also often called the Lunar Rover.

On the beginning of all missions, since Apollo 12, your first duty will be to deploy the S-band umbrella antenna (Apollo 11 didn’t used this device). Then you will have to plant the famous US flag on the Moon surface. Finally, you will have to deploy all the lunar laboratory items and get the drill tool.

Each EVA is subdivided into several stations, which will guide you along the historical traverse followed by Astronauts. The main stations you will visit are real locations, modeled as close as possible like it appear on photographic documents, like the strange “Orange Soil” in Apollo 17, or the “Shadow Mountain” of Apollo 16, etc… Both Astronauts and LRV display, indicate a direction clue and a distance to the next station. For the LRV, it is the location where your Astronauts should stop the vehicle and disembark. For the Astronauts, it is the center of the circular area, where AMSO has generated randomly 6 rock samples you must find and collect. Be aware that the radius of this area may vary a lot, depending on the station and therefore, make the difficulty to found these samples to vary in the same way.

The collection of these samples is mandatory. As long as you do not have found the last rock sample, AMSO will not select the next station. When you have collected the last rock sample, AMSO will immediately generate 6 new rock samples around the next collection area and select the next station. In case you collected the last rock sample of the last EVA station, AMSO will not anymore generate rock samples and the direction clues for both the Astronauts and the LRV, will now indicate the LM position, so you can easily go home.

The drill tool allows you to perform, anywhere, the optional task to drill the Moon soil, in order to collect underground samples (by optional task, I mean this task do no affect the selection of the next EVA station). This is the only tool you can use and embark with you, aboard the LRV.

For Apollo 12, you have another optional task to do. During the second EVA, you will have to visit the probe Surveyor III and retrieve a camera, as it was really done during this mission.

You terminate an EVA by returning both Astronauts into the LM. If you successfully accomplish all the mandatory rock samples collections and if the mission has a further EVA, AMSO will select the next EVA and generate rock samples on the first station of this next EVA. If you terminate an EVA before having collected the last rock sample of the last EVA station, the next EVA won’t be selected. So if you return outside with one or both Astronauts, you will be still in the same EVA and stage you were, before to return inside the LM.

Before to terminate the last EVA, you have a last optional task to do. It is to retrieve the solar wind experience. One of the Astronauts must take it and simply enter into the LM with this experience in the hand.

Finally, it is possible to do more EVA than in the reality. If one or both of your Astronauts return outside, after the end of the last historical EVA, the EVA counter will be incremented, but you won’t have any rock samples to collect and the direction clues will always indicate the LM location.

REMARKS: AMSO programmed landing locations is not the historical LM effective landing locations. So, if you let the LM to land in full automatic mode, the LM position may differ from the location indicated on the maps included in this document. For Example, for Apollo 11, the programmed landing location was inside the small “Little West” crater. This is one of the reasons why Neil Armstrong took the manual control and piloted manually “more forward” as he say several times. In AMSO, it is warmly recommended you almost use the “CHANGE TARGET” feature and select visually, more or less, the historical location, or use the full manual landing mode, like Neil do, if you feel you can do it ! Each following mission chapters give clues about where to land.

To know all about the commands of the LM for any of the approach and final landing with the different historical programs, or how to manipulate your Astronauts and the LRV vehicle, please refer to document “AMSO-User-manual.doc”.
APOLLO 11

Apollo 11 was the historical first landing of a manned spacecraft onto a different celestial body than the Earth, a real milestone of the spatial history.

For an accurate landing, see the map here after and select the same location from the visual clues you will see during the approach. Don’t use automatic landing, or you will be levitating over “Little West” crater !

EVA #1 – Oxygen autonomy: 2h 40mn

This first historical EVA had a planed duration of 2 hours and 40 minutes. AMSO subdivide this EVA into 2 stations, as you can see on the map.

Plant the US flag and then, deploy the laboratory items, before your walk.

Station #1: On the vicinity of the “Little West” crater.

Station #2: South of the LM, on the way back to it, around the PSE location.

#3: Back to LM, end of EVA. Don’t forget to retrieve solar wind experience, before to go back inside the LM.
APOLLO 12

Apollo 12 mission, the second successful visit to the Moon, was divided in two separate EVA, and an extra mission of Cassette retrieval from the previously launched Surveyor III probe.

The programmed landing spot was quite accurate. But Pete Conrad switched to manual control, like Neil Armstrong does before him, to land himself the spacecraft. In fact, in all further missions, who landed on the Moon, LM crew always decided to land manually. They probably considered it was safer to have some control on their own destiny !

EVA #1 – Oxygen autonomy: 3h 25mn

After the deployment of the umbrella high gain antenna and the US flag. Install all the Moon Lab material. This first Eva had only one station:

Station #1: Near the flat “Middle Crescent” Crater. If you have taken the drill tool with you, you may take some underground sample here.

#2: Retrieve your rock collection to the LM, and prepare for EVA#2.

EVA #2 – Oxygen autonomy: 3h 25mn

A long journey with 4 stations with some difficult rock samples collections. After station #4, before to go back, you will have to visit the Surveyor III probe. It landed here more than two years before, the 20 April, 1967, at 00:04:53 UT.

Station #1: To the west of the landing point near “Head” crater.

Station #2: West from the “Bench” crater, near “Sharp” location.

Station #3: South to the “Halo”. A difficult rock sample collection.

Station #4: Approaching Surveyor III probe, were the precious camera is waiting to be picked up.

Retrieve the Surveyor III camera.

#5: Back to the LM after this long but rewarding mission ! Don’t forget to retrieve solar wind experience, before to go back inside the LM.
APOLLO 14

After the dramatic failure of Apollo 13, it was decided to reprogram this mission on Fra Mauro site, the same area that was to have been explored on Apollo 13. Although the primary mission objectives for Apollo 14 were the same as those of Apollo 13, provisions were made for returning a significantly greater quantity of lunar material and scientific data than had been possible previously.

Programmed landing coordinates are a bit critical here. You should change the landing point a bit forward and maybe to the right. Stay in the vicinity of the third crater of the “Triplet” group, as you can see on the map.

EVA #1 – Oxygen autonomy: 4h 15mn

After the deployment of the umbrella high gain antenna and the US flag. Install all the Moon Lab material. This first Eva had only one station:

Station #1: Near the “Doublet” crater group you should get the first samples.

#2: Back to LM for some rest and then preparation of EVA#2.

EVA #2 – Oxygen autonomy: 4h 15mn

A very difficult and long EVA with 7 stations. Be aware that you must carefully plane and then, respect your EVA schedule, or you may not have enough oxygen to return back to the LM. This would signify an horrible death! To succeed you will need both Astronauts to walk in the same time. See AMSO-User-manual, if you don’t know how to do this. Normally, one of the Astronaut should carry the drill with him.

Station #1: In the beginning of the big walk, some stones caught your attention.

Station #2: Continuing the path, slightly to the north.

Station #3: Alf way to the big “Cone” crater.

Station #4: The furthest point of this long trip the big “cone” crater where you should drill the soil and get samples.

Station #5: On the way back, near the “Flank” crater.

Station #6: On the vicinity of the “Weird” crater.

Station #7: Near the flat crater of “Triplet” group, the last rock sample.

#8: Return all this large samples collection to the LM and prepare for the Moon liftoff! Don’t forget to retrieve solar wind experience, before to go back inside the LM.
APOLLO 15

The Apollo 15 lunar module landed in the Hadley-Apennine region site. The site is on a dark mare plain near the sinuous Hadley Rille and the frontal scarp of the Apennine Mountains. This is the first mission using LRV Moon Rover.
Avoid the small crater on programmed landing coordinates. Go forward and to the left.

EVA #1 – Oxygen autonomy: 7h

First, unload and deploy the LRV vehicle. Then, after you have erected the US flag on Moon surface, install all the Moon Lab material. Now you can finally start your first motorized trip on the Moon to Station 1.

Station #1: The first trip to be made is right to the edge of the Rille, were you will find your first samples and contemplate the wonderful view.

Station #2: To the south near the “ELBOW” crater.

Station #3: In the way back to the LM, another sample station.

#4: Return all your samples to the LM, take some rest and prepare for the next EVA.

EVA #2 – Oxygen autonomy: 7h

Station #1: Heading south, some stones caught your attention. Collect them for the benefit of science.

Station #2: Near the “Dune” crater there is a rocky place.

Station #3: South in the foot of the “Apennine” Hills.

Station #4: Half way back to the north.

#5: After this very long journey, put the samples safe in the LM, take a merited rest and then prepare for the last EVA.

EVA #3 – Oxygen autonomy: 6h

Station #1: The second visit to the Hadley Rille, some rocky formations caught your attention.

Station #2: Near the Hadley Rille.

Station #3: The last rock collection on your way back.

#4: Back to the LM, get prepared to liftoff. Don’t forget to retrieve solar wind experience, before to go back inside the LM.

APOLLO 16

LM Orion landed at the western edge of the Descartes Mountains approximately 50 kilometers west of the Kant Plateau. The Apollo 16 mission accomplished the first landing in the central lunar highlands, and the crew successfully explored and sampled a kind of terrain never before visited on the lunar surface.

The programmed landing spot is safe and close from historical landing location.

First, unload and deploy the LRV vehicle. Then, after you have erected the US flag on Moon surface, install all the Moon Lab material. Now you can finally start your travel to Station 1.

Station #1: Right between “Flag” and “Spooky” craters. You first rock collection.

#2: Return all your samples to the LM, take some rest and prepare for the next EVA.

EVA #2 – Oxygen autonomy: 7h

Station #1: Going south, mid way to “Stone Mountain” there are some rocks.

Station #2: At the foot of “Stone Mountain” in the “Cinco” area there are a lot of rocky formations.

Station #3: On the way back, near the flat “Wreck” crater.

Station #4: Mid way back.

#5: Put the samples safe in the LM, take a merited rest and then prepare for the last EVA.

EVA #3 – Oxygen autonomy: 7h

Station #1: Between Craters “Palmetto” and “Gator” there are a lot of debris to collect

Station #2: At the very edge of the monumental “North Ray” crater, you have found the “House Rock” from were you can collect samples around.

Station #3: Going back you can drill and get samples inside “Palmetto” crater.

#4: Back to the LM, get prepared to liftoff. Don’t forget to retrieve solar wind experience, before to go back inside the LM.
APOLLO 17

The lunar module landed within 200 meters of the preferred landing point in a deep narrow valley called Taurus-Littrow. This valley is located in the mountainous highlands at the eastern rim of the Serenitatis basin.

The programmed landing spot is safe and close from historical landing location.

First, unload and deploy the LRV vehicle. Then, after you have erected the US flag on Moon surface, install all the Moon Lab material. Now you can finally start your travel to Station 1.

Station #1: Travel to the double crater “Steno” where the soil is very rocky, to collect samples.

#2: Return all your samples to the LM, take some rest and prepare for the next EVA.

Station #1: Going West, right after “Camelot” and “Horatio” craters

Station #2: More to the west, the soil is getting bright, get some samples.

Station #3: The further most station, near the foot of “South Massif”

Station #4: Near “Shorty” crater you have noticed the presence of a strange “orange soil”, could it be from the meteorite that formed “Shorty”? Drill the soil and get some rocks.

Station #5: On the way back to the LM, there is another Rocky formation to investigate.

#6: Retrieve your rock collection to the LM, have some merited rest and prepare for EVA#3.

EVA #3 – Oxygen autonomy: 7h

Station #1: Going towards “North Massif”, the incredible “Tracy’s rock” (your daughter’s name) need to be studied.

Station #2: To the east looking into “Sculptured Hills” and get some more samples

Station #3: Going back in the “Van Serg” area.

#6: Back to the LM, get prepared to liftoff. Don’t forget to retrieve solar wind experience, before to go back inside the LM.

Last edited:

skunkie

Reaction score
Everything looks good on the tutorial but when i use it step by step I run short of fuel During my Burn leaving the moon and dont have any fuel left to make any MMC i need to get my pea to 37k on earth has anyone else had this problem? I will see if I can trim some of the fuel usage it just runs shy of enough i think

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the help there above

Hey skunkie,

Thanks for the help there above on the Lunar activities. Your running short on fuel huh? Hmmm. I usually dont. I will check into what ammounts of fuel I have at the various stages so I can post the ammounts. Maybe if your fuel looks different than mine we can figure out at what stage your running out.
Are you following ALL the steps just as they are or are you doing somethings extra? Any variation to my tutorial may cause this loss of fuel.
For instance, dont try and Align Plane before your TLI. This will definately cost you alot of fuel in the S IVB stage. It might make the re-igniting during the TLI not have enough to complete the burn and you will have to undock, dock with the lem, and then continue to try and get a good TLI trajectory using the CSM's engine. This will mess up the rest of the mission because I dont think the CM can do more than a few 1 to 2 second main engine burns for the MCCs on the way to the moon.

You should follow the tutorial exactly as it states to do. This should produce good results.

It should be noted also that I use the TEI method in the tutorial called:

A1. Trans Earth Injection Burn Using Base Approach.

I dont really use the planet approach method although its listed there and was tested by pete.dakota.

You say that you have just enough fuel to TEI and thats all? That will be a problem. First I suggest that you only do 1 MCC during your Trans-lunar-coast. These correction burns should only be about 1-3 seconds of burn. If your MCC is more, than you are doing something in the TLI wrong.

Keep working at it. I had to work this out as well. Remember, fuel consumption is a big deal doing this flight. The AMSO addon does this on purpose to add to the realism and the danger of the flight.
Let me know how you do and I will post those fuel ammounts soon, and we can try to figure this out soon. In the mean time, be mathmatical in your approach to the tutorial. Take yur time and do ALL the steps. I cant post the sections any faster than I am right now due to work schedule restraints etc.
Good luck and God's Speed John Glenn

skunkie

Reaction score
Cool I will look at it again

Right after I extract and Dock with the LM I have been using direct velocity using RMS Burns to get my pea on the Moon right again but i end up in orbit of the Moon ten minutes early with 28.9 fuel left but I also had to do a 1 second orbit alignment burn to get my window right for the LM ascent.
I will do the mission from start again and Keep track of my burns
I did complete the Apollo EVA's I would advise using target to move landing Slightly Foward If you land next to west crater it is a long walk to the other craters to get the rocks SO i landed right between the big West crater and the two smaller craters and on the apollo 11 Mission the last thing you pick up before getting back in LM is the soar experience it is the little white looking flag thing on a pole

Thanx for the Help!!

skunkie

Reaction score
I compared my fuel amount Before the TEI Burn with the AMSO Phase of the mission and it has 36% fuel left when it gets into orbit and I have 28.6% I will redo the mission from start to finish Following the Parts of the Tutorial that you have so far and Record my fuel amounts after each Burn Compared to the amso fuel percentages and we can see how close or far off they are from yours You may have to put a column or two Covering fuel usages not much Tolerance for wasted fuel on the moon trips

skunkie

Reaction score
Fuel usage

I compared my flight step by step with the AMSO Phases in the mission and when I hit orbit of the moon I have 36.9% which is .9% more than the amso Mission at the same point but when I check base alignment I am -220k off and the AMSO is only-7k off and in good alignment.. when I get done with the orbit Alignment I have 26.8 fuel left which is just shy of what I need to get a good ejection Is there a way to get a good base alignment without using the fuel for the alignment burn?

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Yes

Yes, undock the LEM and then let it do its base alignment. Let the CM orbit on its own plane. DOI the LEM and land then do all the activities on the moon and make sure you are there for the amount of time required. I believe the LEM was there for about 30 hours or so. Im not sure you can find that information at the Apollo 11 wiki.
So you must stay on the surface of the moon for the minimum time the historical mission did. When you try and power ascend, you may get an error stating that the CM is not aligned.

At this point you can align the CM under its own power and its own AP. It should take less fuel than with the LEM attached because it has less mass.
Once the CM is aligned with the base, you may launch the LM ascent using it's AP. (for these you must press CTRL+ up arrow I believe Im not sure about that at this time) If you need to know the AP button I can look it up for you.
This I believe needs to happen because after 30 or so hours on the Lunar Surface the orbit of the CM will be different alignment than when you departed.
So DONT align attached to the CSM. Depart, align then PDI. AMSO has a great AP for doing this.
Hope this helps. I should make you a part of my testing team for all your wonderfull questions.

Good luck and god's speed John Glenn

skunkie

Reaction score
yep that is what I was doing wrong I was aligning with the LEM Docked once you are done with your EVA you can bring up AP with the K key I am keeping notes also on the Different steps as I get them done That way if anything is missing I can send it to you
if we can get your tutorial with all the right Info from launch to splashdown and I can use it to get to the moon and back than anyone should be able to use it LOL
I am pretty much a waterhead when it comes to space travel
later this evening I will do the 11 mission again using your tutorial and i will make notes of each step and it may be kind of Jumbled a little but might help you to write the other parts if there is any confusion on certain steps of the Mission..... Let me Know if I can be of any help I think if the rest of the tutorial is as good as the first part then it Should translate pretty good to other space travel also with IMFD

caningo

Developer-in-training
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
status?

Any new updates on this tutorial? I'm having issues on doing the first LOI once I get to the moon. Great tutorial so far. :)