"From the Earth to The Moon" an AMSO 1.17 Apollo 11 Full Mission Tutorial Using IMFD

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
During Apollo, it was called the reticle, if I am not mistaken. I just can't get it to come up at all while I am in the virtual cockpit. Any help would be appreciated.
It is called the COAS (Crew Optical Alignment Sight). The reticle is the cross-hair and circle patten that appears on the transparent part of the COAS.

Can you post a screenshot of what you get after you have pressed F8 to get into the virtual cockpit and then pressed Ctrl-Alt-Up to get the rendezvous window camera position?

apolloyamsi

Reaction score
That's just it. I hit CTRL-ALT-Up, and NOTHING happens. I'm in the same place in the virtual cockpit. It doesn't move.

Oh, yes, the COAS...thanks for reminding me...........

*MASS CONFUSION*

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
That's just it. I hit CTRL-ALT-Up, and NOTHING happens. I'm in the same place in the virtual cockpit. It doesn't move.
Do the other directions work? Eg, Ctrl-Alt-Left/Right should take you to the CDR and LMP camera positions. Try loading a different AMSO mission scenario. Can you change VC cameras now? Also, try a DeltaGlider scenario, can you change position in its VC?

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Oh, yes, the COAS...thanks for reminding me...........

*MASS CONFUSION*

This might not help much, but let me chime in here...

I too had much difficulty moving around the AMSO CM cockpit using those key combos. However, I also know that my keyboard was bad and certain keys simply did not work :lol:

One more thing, it's possible you're not using the correct ctrl or alt key...I find that some Orbiter add-ons require "left ctrl key" or other such really-specific key combinations.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
One more thing, it's possible you're not using the correct ctrl or alt key...I find that some Orbiter add-ons require "left ctrl key" or other such really-specific key combinations.
These keys are the default Orbiter "lean" keys. AFAIK, AMSO does not intercept the keypresses, it lets Orbiter handle them in accordance with the parameters of the SetCameraMovement function so either left or right Ctrl-Alt keys should work.

@apolloyamsi, if the Ctrl-Alt-Arrow key functions don't work in the default DeltGlider, post your keymap.cfg here. Are you using the direction-pad arrow keys, and not the num-pad arrow keys? Do you have any other addons running other than AMSO and OrbiterSound?

apolloyamsi

Reaction score
I have AMSO 1.17, the AMSO Apollo 11 Sound Pack, IMFD 5.1 (latest build), AttitudeMFD, and OrbiterSound 3.5. I'll do some experimenting. When I hit, CTRL-ALT-left, right, or down, I get weird graphical corruption. CTRL-ALT-up appears to do nothing. I am using the directional keys not the numeric keypad. This is really weird.

ApolloYamsi........

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
Sounds like a video issue

This sounds like a video issue. I would recommend that you check your video card compatability with the min requirements for this version of Orbiter. Even if you cant use the viewer you can use the docing MFD.

Michkov

Reaction score
I´ve done the fligth rigth now till 2:21.00 and just about to setup IMFD for the TLI.

After setting all up the map shows that I will hitt the moon with a PeA of -1000k
The fine tuning decribed in steps 35 etc dont make any difference to the PeA as I can´t change Eq
I dont thing its a big problem as I could to a course correction burn infligth but I´m worried that I dont have enough fuel for it.

So what to do continue or try to set up IMFD again?

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Hmmm

After setting all up the map shows that I will hitt the moon with a PeA of -1000k
The fine tuning decribed in steps 35 etc dont make any difference to the PeA as I can´t change Eq
I dont thing its a big problem as I could to a course correction burn infligth but I´m worried that I dont have enough fuel for it.

So what to do continue or try to set up IMFD again?

Hmmm, I dont know really. It works for me. Make sure you follow the entire tutorial from the beginning or you may miss a vital setting that needs to be made in the way the IMFD settings work. I think they are at the beginning of the flight:

Step 1. Open IMFD in the Left Multifunction Display (LMFD) (pressing select, then “Interplanetary”).
Step 2. Press MNU to access the IMFD’s menu.
Step 3. Press MOD to modify the configuration.
(Here we are going to set the parameters for making IMFD use Apollo-like attitude correction which is more like a "point and shoot" configuration. The next few steps (Step 4 and 5) are optional but mandatory if you wish to continue with this tutorial.
Step 4. Set LambertAP mode to Apollo P30.
(Next step sets IMFD to do a more realistic Apollo-like burn as the real Apollo burns were done. The throttle-down of the main engines were cut offs to a thousandths of a second and this setting makes IMFD cutoff with the same accuracy).
Step 5. Set AB Throttle down to 0.00 using the “Set” button (<) and entering “0”.
(Note: Make sure to enter 0 here and then press the keyboard Enter not the Numpad Enter because if you do you will ignite your thrusters and this would be very bad)

Or these steps which control the accuracy of IMFD Map:

C. Set up IMFD Map to Show More Accuracy
Step 13. Select Map.

Step 14. Press "PRJ" to set the projection to self from Equator.
Step 15. Press "MOD" three times to get into the IMFD's Map Program Configuration window.
Step 16. Set the accuracy to 1.00 by pressing "Nxt"

Ya make sure you do those two steps to see the PeA more accurately. This might help.
You may wish to try again and make sure that you are using the correct spacecraft (Apollo 11 AMSO) as most of this tutorial is designed for this spacecraft.

Try again making sure to do those steps above and see if you get the same results. If you do then reply again and Ill see what else I can come up with.

Last edited:

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
When I get to the aprt where I have to adjust my RAD to get PeA = 80.0k, I adjust the RAD but then the PeA continues to either go up or go down no matter what. What am I doing wrong?

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Hmmm I dont know now

Well be sure to read the entire tutorial from the start. You will have to follow ALL the instructions even if you dont think the section is important. You should check off the steps like a list of things to do. If you miss just 1 step the tutorial may not work the way it is listed.

If you still cant get the same results please post the problem and I will try to look at why. Based on what info you give me will help alot.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
I have been following the steps to the letter, though I just realized a few minutes ago what the problem might be. I'm gonna go try it again, I'll post my results later.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Hm, this is SO frustrating. I'm sure I'm just doing some step wrong or entering a wrong value, but for the life of me, having done it three seperate times, I can't figure out what's wrong.

Just to make sure, when I'm adjusting the RAD, I am using the PeA value in the RMFD (IMFD Map program), right?

a_boy

Reaction score
polaris149Tiberius, let me shake your hand!
This tutorial helps me to do a11 mission and it was very close to real a11 timeline.:cheers:

I didn't expect that I could do this with high accuracy to real timeline.

But for my first tries, the biggest mistake in my steps was my TEI.
I did it about +1 hour to original TEI (it was +1 orbit around the moon, wich I did).

Shadow Addict, I didn't met your problem.
Thanx to all participants of this tutorial ! it works 100% :speakcool:

ASCII

Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted to do the 3 sec SPS evasion maneuver after jettisoning the S-IVB?

I understand that in reality there were a few extra seconds added on to the TLI burn to make up for the 3 sec Retrograde TLI burn that was done after jettison.

Will doing this in AMSO put you too far off target?

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Thanx to all participants of this tutorial ! it works 100%
Thank you for your kind words. I would like to say that I had an enormouse ammount of collaboration to test and produce this unfinished document/tutorial but alas I didn't really know anyone at the time I was working on it offline on my own - Some of it was out of bordem but it soon became an obsession to do it as close to the real thing as possible.

I was given a little help on I think a section of the tutorial but I dont think I actually implement it as the primary flight plan accept the timming for the return home. I think it is offered as an alternative.

Of course I we all appreciate the help from Dr. Martin Schweiger for Orbiter 2006 P1, Alain Capt and ACSoft for AMSO, and Jarmo Nikkanen for IMFD, DanSteph for Orbiter Sound 3.5 pete.dakota for one version of the Planet Approach procedures sited, and last but not least -Sonicboom.com for the video.

Other than them, the document was compiled and written and tested entirely by me. (I am trying not to my own horn but its hard). I did it because I saw a lack of documentation in the community for a complete and up to date tutorial for the Orbiter 2003 P1 +AMSO +IMFD Apallo 11 Flight to the moon that tries to emulate as best as possible the information in the actual flight log. When I started it there was only 1 tutorial that I knew of from the IMFD and AMSO documentation on any of the AMSO flights.

I researched a bit into the NASA docs for the flight information and orbital info and tried to sync the times exacatly but this was not possible with the launch program from AMSO. It is close but not able to get it exactly like the real Apollo 11 orbit insertion. I dont even think NASA could get it just right every time. I think they inserted and then worked with that orbit after cutoff.

I also considered writing an Apollo computer emulator that would send realtime flight gimballed controlled auto pilot instructions to an MFD that would control the Saturn stages to a better representation of the orbit to prove that Orbiter is a perfect model of the solar system and I am still working on that project. This tutorial works fine for a good flight though so I just posted what I had.

I did it about +1 hour to original TEI (it was +1 orbit around the moon, wich I did).

Excellent, if you want to post your landing coordinates I will add it to a google map view and we can compare the locations looking for a more accurate splash down location. I am really wanting to be as accurate to the true splash down coordinates as possible because the recovery ship and chopper wont be able to search for the capsule for longer than an hour or two I think (if I remember correctly) In other words if you changed your view to the exact location the Carrier was at historically (not where the AMSO places it because it places it close to the splash down no matter where you land), if at the historical coordinates on earth of where the carrier is you cant watch for and see the capsual deploy the chute with zoomed in view then I will still feel like I havent got it just right. lol. I am kindof an anal retentive pilot like that.
Let me know if you hit the landing on the money. Id be interested in your exact TEI info.

Has anyone ever attempted to do the 3 sec SPS evasion maneuver after jettisoning the S-IVB?

I understand that in reality there were a few extra seconds added on to the TLI burn to make up for the 3 sec Retrograde TLI burn that was done after jettison.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this happened on the Apollo 13 flight didn't it? I dont think Apollo 11 had any problems during the launch phase. Please tell me if Im incorrect. I hope Im not wrong about this. lol.

Anywho, thanks for the input guys. Keem them comming I love correspondance.

Also you can see some of my other Tutorials that Im working on. Here:

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:
"From the Earth to The Moon" an AMSO 1.17 Apollo 8 Full Mission Tutorial w IMFD 5.1m

"When We Left The Earth" Episode 1 a Mercury Program Tutorial

CURRENTLY WORKING ON:

"When We Left The Earth" Episode 6 a Default Space Shuttle STS to ISS Tutorial

Enjoy and please if you want to help by all means Id love some correlation.

Last edited:

a_boy

Reaction score
polaris149Tiberius, well I'll try to post my a11 marks,maybe, if they will be useful.

I'll be able to simulate next weekend and now I have a question:
How to disable only communicaton sounds ( and interrupts of time accelerating) in a11+amso ?
(Because, sometimes I need to check only one condition or setting and I'm listening again and again all speaks between a11 and capcom untill desired time of checking)

ps: As well as many ppl, I can't wait to test your a8 and mercury tutorials ;):)

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
what is that lambert AP? is it part of the IMFD or its an AMSO feature, and how do i activate it?

I am not sure what Lambert mode is, It is an IMFD default setting. I believe it allowes IMFD to use modern burn settings. Back in the day of Apollo, they did their main burns with a start time and a main engine cut off (MECO.) Setting this setting in IMFD to Apollo P30 allows IMFD to calculate and make burns that are of a MECO fasion I believe if Im not incorrect.

A fine question indeed. Keep them comming and Ill do my best.