Gaming Furymetal: a Dwarf Fortress succession fort

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Obsidian works aren't terribly complex. You build a bowl which you fill with magma then dump water on that and dig out your obsidian. I was trying to use a retractable bridge to dump the water, but that isn't really necessary. The most thought is making it so you can stop and restart the flows without getting miners killed.

I think I found yours.

Don't worry about finishing other people's project. Build your own. Oh and dig. Find more hematite!

Found! And I finished digging out one of the veins you started too.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I've finished my year. I'll try to upload screenshots and a journal entry tomorrow.

I actually did get the plumbing to the obsidian works done, though I messed up and spent alot more effort than I needed to. At the end of my year the bridge to drop the water was still under construction, but the thing is mostly done, and the water pipe is flooded.

I managed to make a major strategic blunder during a siege that appeared while the caravan was in town (trying to protect the caravan, which on second thought looks to have been quite capable of taking care of itself), and ended up losing the Captain of the Guard, a champion, and the *entire* marksdwarf squad. I did recruit some peasants as marksdwarves and train them up, though.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Exciting. Its sad to see the marksdwarf squad go, but they weren't very skilled (just drafted hunters). Besides that will give the engraver more stories to carve (though I would prefer the engravings to be the goblin is making a plaintive gesture, the dwarf is striking a menacing pose).

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would be up for taking a round at this, so long as I could do it by the end of this coming Friday. How does this format of gameplay work? The logistics of passing saves and all that, I mean.

Eagle

Reaction score
I would be up for taking a round at this, so long as I could do it by the end of this coming Friday. How does this format of gameplay work? The logistics of passing saves and all that, I mean.
That sounds good you can go next.

Lingofreak is going to .zip up the region file which is located in data\save\ folder then post it online or get it to you some way. Shadow Addict and I have been using this service http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1853
Then you unzip it back into the data/save folder.

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay. And when I'm done, I just reZIP the region folder and send it along or post it online?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The second part of my Journal:

Two new births, bringing the population to 118.

I've randomly started construction on a tower. I don't have much in the way of goals for what to do with it, but hey: A child does as it pleases, right?

Hematite 9th:

Another goblin siege.

Shadow Addict has banned the export of Aluminum items. Do we have any?

The goblins had an elf with them, and he shot and killed three dwarves who were standing too close to the entrance, including a child.

I started work on a hallway full of low-cost, expandable apartments, and found a silver vein. Now there's a mine tunnel going right through the planned hallway.

Apartments_and_silver.png

A glassmaker entered a fey mood at some point, and I needed to build a normal glass workshop, he wouldn't use the magma-powered kind.

We got some more migrants, now population 123, and the glassmaker finished his mood, creating a green glass goblet.

1st Limestone:

Autumn has come, and with it, the discovery of Native Aluminum!

Meanwhile, my tower isn't going all that well. Construction has been slowed by masons walling themselves in and such...

13 Limestone:

A caravan has arrived.

16 Limestone:

Just my luck, Just when the gobbies decide to show up.

Decided to buy some bauxite and magnetite off the traders, but wasn't sure what else to buy. Am I cut out for this job?

21st Limestone:

@#$%!!! I made a horrible strategic mistake: I sent the military out into the open to deal with the Goblins, not wanting to let the caravan and Liaison get killed. They survived, but we lost the entire Marksdwarf squad, as well as a champion, and the captain of the guard. The seige in broken, but I'm not sure what we'll do about the next one. I've recruited some peasants to form a new marksdwarf squad, and expanded the archery range.

Slaughter.png

5th Sandstone:

One of our miners got taken by a mood today.

He has created a granite armor stand!

Armorstand.png

27th Sandstone:

More migrants.

6th Moonstone:

I've just realized that the water tunnel I've been building to the obsidian works may not be optimal.

4th Obsidian: Started to flood the water tunnel to the obsidian works, after considerable redesign.

8th Obsidian: A miner has been possessed.

1 Granite 206: Finally somebody realizes that a kid's been running the place for a year. Now I don't have to be in charge anymore!

PriestLizard

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this fantastic game. I really love this stuff... started to play some today. :) Nice report going on here too... keep up the good work. :)

Eagle

Reaction score
I wonder if the giant rat in the granite armor stand is of any significance (aka killed a dwarf in year 104) or does the miner just like giant rats? Also, lol at the kobold corpse among the goblins.

PriestLizard, once you feel you have a basic understanding of what's going on you're welcome to take a turn with the bloodline.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Does anybody want to post a screeny of the fortress as it stands with one of the 3D visualization tools? I could myself, but I'm not sure whether said tools work under Wine.

Eagle

Reaction score
Does anybody want to post a screeny of the fortress as it stands with one of the 3D visualization tools? I could myself, but I'm not sure whether said tools work under Wine.
Dunno, go ahead and try. Also could you post the Z status screen for 1 Granite 206?

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've got the next year and I'll be playing it tonight and posting a "journal entry" tomorrow I suppose.

---------- Post added 02-28-10 at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-27-10 at 10:03 PM ----------

I'm about 3/4 of the way done with my year. I release, just for kicks, a slight teaser of The Secret Project. :p

secretproject.png

PriestLizard

Reaction score
I wonder if the giant rat in the granite armor stand is of any significance (aka killed a dwarf in year 104) or does the miner just like giant rats? Also, lol at the kobold corpse among the goblins.

PriestLizard, once you feel you have a basic understanding of what's going on you're welcome to take a turn with the bloodline.
Thanks Eagle, sounds good. :)
DF really looks very complex, I love that. However, I'm a little bit confused about the game modes - maybe you guys can help me out a bit. I know what the different game modes offer but I'm not sure if I understand how they are connected to each other.

Lets say I did create a world and started the dwarfen fortress mode. I'm building the fortress and doing all the stuff. There will be some interaction with other fractions/towns etc. from other races.

I save the game.

Next time I start a game in adventurer mode (without creating a new world of course). Will the adventurer mode start in the "save game" I played last? In the Wiki I red that you can visit your own fortresses etc., so there must be some kind of connection.
Can I play multiple fortresses in the same "world"?

Anyway, awesome game!:thumbup:

Eagle

Reaction score
Next time I start a game in adventurer mode (without creating a new world of course). Will the adventurer mode start in the "save game" I played last? In the Wiki I red that you can visit your own fortresses etc., so there must be some kind of connection.
Can I play multiple fortresses in the same "world"?
You can only start a new game in the same world if you finish the current game. That means fortresses must be abandoned or lost, adventurers must retire or die. When you start a new game you can select which world (default names region1, region2 etc.) to play in. If there's only one world available it will select it automatically and you can see it when you select 'Dwarf Fortress' 'Adventurer' 'Legends'. A big part of the game is to explore and loot past fortresses still infested with the creatures that destroyed it.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
I'm back from my class trip, and I'm glad to see more people posting in here! I'll read through what I missed and update the first post as needed.

PriestLizard

Reaction score
You can only start a new game in the same world if you finish the current game. That means fortresses must be abandoned or lost, adventurers must retire or die. When you start a new game you can select which world (default names region1, region2 etc.) to play in. If there's only one world available it will select it automatically and you can see it when you select 'Dwarf Fortress' 'Adventurer' 'Legends'. A big part of the game is to explore and loot past fortresses still infested with the creatures that destroyed it.
Ok thanks. Good to know. :)

I have some more minor questions as well... hope you guys dont mind if I ask here. :)

1. I already figured out there are stones which can be used for buildings/crafts/furniture (in my current fortress i.e. mudstone and granite). What can I do though with all the other stones, like jet, gypsum or even Pitchblende??

I dont like this mess all arroundin my fortress :D Masons can transform Mudstone in mudstone bars and put them in bins - good! But of what use are the other stones? I cannot sell them as well (much weight, small profit).

How to you keep things "clean"?

2. How do I find metal? Do I have to dig real deep?

3. I guess there is no difference between, lets say, mudstone and limestone except the color and the resulting color of furnitures etc?

4. What are artifacts for? Can I do something with them or are they meant to be found in adventurer mode when I explore an old and abandoned fortress of mine?

5. How does fighting work? I only played like 4-5 years and there was no fighting yet (except for some goblin thief and a wolf which killed my first sherriff ;) ). The dwarfs fight automatically, right? And I can assign different squads or squad leaders which command some other dwarfs... they go into action when necessary by themselves? And they also get the equipment they need from a weapons storage by themselves?

Thanks again :)
Bye ~

Eagle

Reaction score
There's a very nice wiki about this. http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/ (wiki seems to be down atm :/ ) Also forum http://www.bay12games.com/forum/

1. All stones can be used by masons the same way but some stones have additional uses. 1. Regular Stones 2. Flux stones for steel making 3. Obsidian for short swords 4. Metal Ore that can be smelted.

Use d-b-d to designate stones for dumping to a designated garbage zone (not the same as a refuse stockpile). They will become forbidden after they are dumped and must be reclaimed using the d-b menu.

2. Dig!

3. Limestone is more valuable and can be used as flux, also its a different color.

4. Artifacts from strange moods that are not possession will give the dwarf a skill level of legendary. Otherwise they are valuable, nigh indestructible items that can be used in dwarf mode and adventure mode.

5. Train and equip dorfs, station dorfs near where you want them to fight. Dorfs will charge when they see the enemy.