Gaming Furymetal: a Dwarf Fortress succession fort

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Furymetal
A Dwarf Fortress succession fort

Welcome to Furymetal, O-F's first DF succession fort! For the unaware, Dwarf Fortress is an amazing procedurally generated indie game where you construct and manage a fortress of dwarves. A succession or bloodline fort is one where a group of players take turns, usually an in-game year long, managing the fortress before passing it on to the next player. By far, the most famous succession fort is Boatmurdered. It's hilarious, violent and chaotic, and it is directly responsible for my (and many other peoples') dedication to DF. It's really worth a read by anybody.

Anyway, this is O-F's personal succession fort. The DF-playing section of O-F appears to be rather small, and we'd like to try to enlarge it. Anybody interested in learning to play should go directly to this tutorial. It taught me how to play, and it is by far the best I've ever encountered. If you can get through this tutorial, you're ready to run a fort. In fact, some of the fun of a succession fort is the varying experience levels of the players, so anybody who has a basic knowledge of the game can sign up. My only personal requirements are that you post a summary of the events, preferably in the form of an in-game character's journal, along with screenshots and the current map (which can be uploaded specially here).

Here's the most current player list (we're always looking for more players!):

Year One: Shadow Addict
Year Two: Eagle
Year Three: Shadow Addict
Year Four: Eagle
Year Five: Shadow Addict
Year Six: Linguofreak

And the maps by year:

Ready? Here's the backstory:

Journal of Litatst Kosothshetbeth, 2nd Granite 201

Finally, after months of constant trekking through constant forest, we have reached the Most Spines range, the first mountains we’ve seen since we set out from the Mountainhome so long ago. We have much to attend to presently, but I feel I should be documenting our mission for the bettering of future generations. His Majesty sent us to go form an outpost at the end of this valley, an outpost that He hinted would perhaps be the site of some royal construction effort or something. Nevertheless, asking the King to explain Himself would practically be treason, so I took His word and chose my six companions for the long trek to the Most Spines. The weather here is pleasant enough, and we have a huge body of rock to content ourselves with. Anyway, digging should begin posthaste so as to get us underground at once; it’s been so very long, and we’re all very sick of the big, open sky. Much nicer just to be down in the tunnels, eh? As is the custom, I have waited until reaching the site until opening the ceremonial naming parchment, which I will unravel right now. And our fortress is Thusestkel, or Furymetal in humie language. I wonder if that has anything to do with His Majesty’s plans for us? Well, I can wonder about that later. It’s time to get this fort started.

And here's Furymetal's first year:

2nd Granite 201

I’ve decided that, to start, our wagon is on rather unhospitable land:

fm1l.png

Therefore, I’ve decided to trek back down into the valley where we have ample wood for constructions and soil for farming, at least for the time being. Digging will begin there after all of our supplies are moved down. Here is a sketch of the site where we will begin to dig:

fm2ku.png

21st Granite 201

We are making huge progress on moving down to the forest. All the remains up the mountain is our food, which will be moved down as soon as the front hall is finished being carved. Some quick surface exploring has revealed a vein of hematite not far from the our camp:

fm3.png

This is a great find, as I’m sure we’ll need iron in the future.

27th Granite 201

Our entrance hall is finally carved out. You can see here in this sketch where the barracks will be on the top right and the food stockpile on the left:

fm4x.png

27th Slate 201

As of today, Furymetal has officially moved down to the forest level. Our barracks and internal food stockpiles are set up, and the miners have begun looking for soil to began a plump helmet farm:

fm5.png

fm6.png

24th Felsite 201

As of today, we have a farm plot with plump helmets being planted;

fm7.png

Perhaps a bit large, but it’s better to be on the safe side!

9th Malachite 201

While digging out a dining room, we struck emerald:

fm8.png

This mountain seems to be rich with gems. I wonder what else it’s hiding?

6th Galena 201

Work began today on what will be our workshop level:

fm9.png

Currently the miners are excavating the stone shop, which will contain workshops for our masons and stonecrafters. Across the hall from it will be the wood shop, with workshops for our carpenters and wood burners and a permanent wood stockpile.

12th Galena 201

Looks like no immigrants are coming this season. I’m glad, there’s no way we’d be able to support them yet.

14th Galena 201

BIG NEWS! Now that plump helmets are beginning to flow in from the farm, we have begun booze production! Good timing too, we were beginning to run out of our original reserves

Oh, and today I drew up the plans for the sleeping quarters:

fm10.png

There are 16 of them right now. We’ll allocate them on a need-by-need basis once they’re done.

12th Limestone 201

Finished the stone shop floor today. It’s got four workshops for craftsdwarves, three for masons, and one for mechanics, plus ample stockpile space in the middle:

fm11.png

Also the bedrooms were recently finished. And the Outpost Liason arrived, though I don’t expect we’ll request anything as we’re doing fairly well on our own right now.

13th Sandstone 201
Today, we began construction on our office level. The first (and so far only) office is a meager little thing for me, so I’ll finally be able to start some serious bookkeeping to get an idea of where our fort is regarding supplies.

fm12.png

21st Sandstone 201

After several stupid delays in getting the beds made, we have finally opened our first eight apartments!

fm13.png

Right now, only six are occupied; I’m going to indulge a bit and give myself a bigger room in the private district. Hell, I deserve it after all the planning and effort I’ve put into this fort.

7th Timber 201

It’s official, no migrants this season. I think we could support a few if they came, though I’m fine with just us seven.

Later that same day

What the hell?

fm15.png

This can’t be good.

fm14.png

Nevermind, looks like all is well. The merchant killed the muskox pretty fast and came out with some minor arm injuries. He’s not really paying attention, so he won’t mind if we take his plump helmets, bundles of cloth and opals! Looks like this worked out for us!

17th Moonstone 201

While engraving the walls of my personal quarters, Ezum engraved a decent image of the sun. When I asked him what it was called, he told me it was called "The Naughtiness of Ankles." Ezum must come from a very orthodox family.

22nd Opal 201

A thief stole some steel bolts that I didn’t know we had. Oh well, I guess?

3rd Granite 202

Ahh, spring has arrived again. A year of running this place has left me tired out, so I’ll leave the rest to one of the other dwarves. I’m content to just bookkeep and engineer. It’s been a pretty good year overall, and I’m excited to see where this fort will go!

(I forgot to add in that I finished the wood shop next to the stone shop, but it's not that big a deal because it looks nearly identical. It just has a different workshops and a wood stockpile in the middle.)

EDIT: I also forgot to take a pic of my dwarf's special bedroom. Eagle, if you could include that in your screenshots I'd be grateful :DDD

Last edited:

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
2nd Granite 202
year1leadersroom.jpg

My room is finished and very nice. The miners seemed a bit restless and claimed they could open up a hallway of them in only a few days. I agreed but the workshop level needs to expand first.

10th Granite 202
year2elvesappear.jpg

Elves! I knew my day would be ruined when their stench wafted over the hills. I'm planning on buying a rope for a future well. We have a few stone goods to trade, hopefully it will be enough.
year2notmanytradegoods.jpg

year2movegemsinside.jpg

I don't trust the elves, so I'm moving the gem stockpile deeper into the fortress. The wood can stay outside for now.

year2elvestrade.jpg

I'm insulted. They've brought nothing useful. A cloth bin, some thread, some vegtables they probably pulled from our front lawn and wooden arrows. We're going to make our own rope, and I'm going to sieze this junk as recourse for the insult. We took about 4600☼ in goods.
year2elvesseized.jpg

11th Slate 202
A whole slew of migrants have arrived. Eighteen in fact! Its a bit overwhelming. ezum Mengumam our stoneworker is expressing some concern about our fort's security. We're putting a gate at the entrance.
year2springmigrants.jpg

19th Slate 202
Had a bit of a surprise today, when walking past the stockpile of new cages. Apparently the elves had donated some animals to us. We now have a tame Leopard, Rhesus Macaque, and cockroach.
I may invite the elves back next spring. I drafted a peasant to butcher and tan what our two hunters are bringing back. We need a leather worker.
supriseanimals.jpg

1st Hematite 202
ezum Mengumam, started acting a bit strange and locked himself in a craftsdwarf shop. A few days later he came out with the best toy hammer I've ever seen. Its probably worth 4800☼. An actually useful hammer would have been nice, but ezum seems happier. His work has improved and his engravings have become much more beautiful.
year2firstartifact.jpg

He's proud of his work:
hesproud.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

So its early summer, I'll continue with the story soon.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Some very nice artwork. An elf laughing at a cringing elf, a goblin striking down an elf, an elf being shot by a goblin, a kobold stealing a -pig tail sock- off the dead merchant.

Last edited:

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Ahaha, a spiky leather toy? Sounds kinda kinky.

Oh, that merchant finally died?

EDIT: Also I guess if it keeps up like this I'll be on Year 3. Looks like we might just have to alternate for a while.

Last edited:

Eagle

Reaction score
1st Galena 202
Not much to say, got a forge up and running and made some copper picks and battle axes to make mining and woodcutting go faster. Other than that just expansion and setting up more workshops. We have a kitchen up and running.

6th Galena
silverandgold.jpg

Struck a large pocket of gold and silver while performing exploratory mining.

14th Galena 202
Cog Catteniton has organized the first party of the year it will take place in our legendary dining room.

Ustuth Thunderclasps discovered something that really gave us reason to party. An underground river!
undergroundriver.jpg

Tekkud Furnacetame and Monom Channelnames our planter and woodworker are extremely excited about the dwarven delacicies we might procure from there. All's good except that its filled with snakemen. Lets wall it off for now.
sixofthe7.jpg

The miners joined the party, six of the original seven are in attendance.

3rd Limestone 202
dontforget.jpg

He's kind of a big deal. Digging out out a patch for flood farming, Still deciding where to put the well.

9th Limestone 202
The hamlet liason and dwarven caravan has arrived. Unfortunatly I forgot about two boulders which blocked the way so no wagons this year. We're in good shape and already have an anvil so that's not a problem.
Traded, bought some more cloth and leather plus a -steel shield- and a pair of giant spiked steel balls.
dorfmerchants.jpg

1st Timber 202

Some migrants arrived, seven of them which brings our total population to thirty-two.
firsttimber.jpg

6th Timber 202
Cog Catteniton has been working furiously at something at the forge.
He made an iron shield, its probably worth at least 44400☼, not that anyone would possibly sell this. I have no doubt of his prowess in making armor.
secondartifact.jpg

Last edited:

Eagle

Reaction score
1st Moonstone
Winter has arrived. The flood-farm is nearly done. Only some mechanisms need to be installed.

12th Moonstone
Serendipity, cave spiders in the nearly finished flooding chamber are providing silk for the weavers.
silkm.jpg

14th Moonstone
There's something else to carve pictures of now.
drawtheshieldnow.jpg

23rd Moonstone
!!!The kobolds are attacking! I close the gate and a mule and the Sheriff are trapped outside!
3 Spearmen, 1 Swordsman, 2 wrestlers.
koboldsattack.jpg

The kobolds don't seem to have seen the sheriff, that's good and gives us a lot more time.
koboldsattack2.jpg

5th Opal
We've trained 13 wrestlers, we have the kobolds in numbers and size. Lets try our luck.
koboldsattack3.jpg

koboldsattack4.jpg

Morul Kosothnakuth, died in the onslaught. But victory is ours. Funeral rites will be performed tomorrow.

19th Opal
I don't know what it is about combat, or parties but Sodel Silsibrek has a daughter!
itsagirl.jpg

13th Obsidian
The flooding farm is finished and is filling up with water now.

1st Granite 203
202 was a good year, we've finished the well, all that's left is to hook up some floodgates to fill it.
springtimer.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Oh and of course the wealth/population snapshot.
beginingof203snapshot.jpg

We've exceeded 1 million dorfbucks!
202 A Death, A Birth and a kobold invasion.

Last edited:

Eagle

Reaction score
Here are the instructions for a the tower cap farm.
tcfarminstrucions.jpg

For the paragraph at the top it should read: "close it so the farm can drain and the resivoir can fill"

Last edited:

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
1st Granite 203
It’s been a year, and I’m ready to take back my fort. Apparently I’ve been “officially” in charge this whole time:

fm17.png

So this shouldn’t be such a big change for the dwarves. Anyway, looks like some, uh, interesting stuff happened in my absence. Our military’s organization is rather strange:

fm18.png

So I went in and approved a new military organization. We now have two permanent defense squads of four:

fm19.png

Anyway, everything else looks good, except for this strange gem stockpile in the office floor hallway:

fm20.png

I’m gonna move that to a stockpile foor. Also there was a fishery in the entrance hallway for some reason, so I just moved that into a little room near the food stockpile.

9th Slate 203
Oh wow. About 20 immigrants arrived today, propelling us to 52 dwarves and prompting the community to realize we lack a strong position of leadership. The first mayor was then elected, and (naturally) I was chosen. I don’t really think this will change my duties very much, though I suddenly feel entitled to better rooms and stuff. I’ll get the dwarves working on that:

fm21.png

Anyway, about half on the dwarves that arrived are pretty useless, so I’m gonna enlist five of them in our newly-founded Fortress Guard and set the other five to hauling duties.

12th Slate 203

Apparently an elven caravan came at some point and left today. Not a big deal, probably only had some cloth or something.

11th Hematite 203

I’ve been so busy trying to optimize this well flooding system that I haven’t really had anything to update about! Anyway, a caravan of humies arrived today, so we’ll see how that goes.

18th Hematite 203

Brulus, a kobold thief, showed up in front of our entrance today. Fortunately, Kikros, Captain of the Guard, was nearby to handle the situation. She picked Brulus up by his right arm, dislocating it, and threw him five feet into wall. His head smashed open and he died nearly immediately. This wouldn’t be news except it was awesome to watch.

23rd Hematite 203

I don’t know what’s going on. Two kobolds showed up yesterday and (unfortunately) both made it away, one with a moderate hand wound. Just now, another showed up and was brutally beaten by one of our elite wrestlers. His right side was beaten to a pulp. I love when kobolds come to visit!

9th Malachite 203

Tragedy has struck. Stakud Tulonsosad, an Elite Wrestler, has just bled to death. I have no idea what happened. That sucks.

25th Limestone 203

I’ve finally come up with a brilliant idea for the well flooding/draining apparatus! It requires an odd use of a modified bridge, but it SHOULD do the trick. I’ll update when it’s complete.

22nd Sandstone 203

A goblin thief showed up in the middle of the dwarven caravan that was leaving. Hilarity ensued as it became a pincushion for crossbow bolts.

26th Sandstone 203

8 migrants showed up today, mostly useless.

27th Sandstone 203

SUCCESS! Finally, with the pull of a single lever, the well resevoir can be flooded or drained. Took me damn well near a year, but I’ve finally pulled it off:

fm22.png

Circled in red is the “bridge” which blocks off the drain, and circled in blue is the floodgate open to the river. Now I can FINALLY work on improving my private accomadations!

28th Sandstone 203

Oh you have GOT to be kidding me. The dorfs are refusing to build me accomadations suitable of my position as mayor. Why, I asked? Because apparently about two months ago, there was a mayoral election. I WASN’T REELECTED AND NOBODY TOLD ME. Sure, they’ll let me run the whole thing but reelect me mayor? NOPE SORRY CAN’T DO IT. This little peasant Sazir is now demanding better accomadations so she can “run the fort.” God how I hate her.

On a completely unrelated note, I’ve decided to look for natural magma. For, uh, economic uses.

4th Timber 203

Sazir (who has now been officially renamed Stupidbeard in the fort records, heh heh) had a mandate out for iron items, but as the Village Manager (among other important things that Stupidbeard doesn’t even know how to do), I elected not to dedicate any dwarfpower to fulfill this. Well, she had a pissy fit, ended the mandate and now is banning the export of iron items out of spite. I hope the dwarves realize what a terrible choice this woman is for a mayor.

Also, began some exploratory mining to look for magma.

7th Timber 203

Something very curious has happened today. Druing the exploratory digging, my miners found a tunnel:

fm23.png

It stretches very far into the distance, using ramp to go down or up a level seemingly at random. It seems almost like a road. I’ve never seen anything like this before!

24th Timber 203

In the strange tunnel, we a single foot of marble. On a whim, I ordered the miners to pursue it, and look!

fm24.png

Large room of marble. This’ll be handy in the future.

6th Moonstone 203

One of our miners politely reminded me that we already had a huge vein of marble close to the rock stockpiles that we hadn’t been digging out. I thanked him and went back to my office where I proceded to facedesk repeatedly.

8th Opal 203

In the excitement of the past few days, I haven’t been able to update this journal. There’s been big news; WE STRUCK MAGMA! We’re still digging up to look for the top of the pipe, but we have hit the unique warm stone that signifies a nearby magma pipe.

10th Opal 203

Praise the miners!

fm25.png

I’ve decided that, instead of attempting to immediately route the magma down to the workshop floor, I’m going to set up an in situ worksite for magma-powered workshops.

4th Obsidian 203

Kivish, a craftsdwarf, has been acting strange lately. He claimed a glass furnace and refuses to leave, screaming demands for raw green glass. I’ll get on making that for him.

23rd Obsidian 203

Kivish began a mysterious contrusction with the glass today.

28th Obsidian 203

Kivish revealed today Touchbelts, a green glass barrel! It’s really nice, though sort of impractically fragile.

1st Granite 204

The creation of Touchbelts has made me reconsider my position. With the constant management I have to do, I don’t ever have time to work on my art or anything of my own. I’ll leave the next ruler to finish the magma system:

fm26.png

(And here is the end-of-year stocks screen: )

fm27.png

Eagle

Reaction score
Oooh, exciting. I wonder where the underground road goes? We'll have to check that out in adventure mode later.

I'm thinking we need an obsidian works. Setting up magma-forges should only take half a season.

We have a legendary glassmaker? Awesome, I'm think we need some green-glass pumps to move magma.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Hey Urwumpe, I know you want to get in on this.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
9th Malachite 203

Tragedy has struck. Stakud Tulonsosad, an Elite Wrestler, has just bled to death. I have no idea what happened. That sucks.

Sparring accident in the barracks. You often have a soldier die while practicing.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Hey Urwumpe, I know you want to get in on this.

You are actually right, but I have no time for it. Have some exams in the next month and wanted to get some Orbiter/GCBlue2 stuff done...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
[/COLOR]Hey Urwumpe, I know you want to get in on this.

I'd kinda like to get in on it myself. Problem is, I'm fairly inexperienced, so I'm not sure that I wouldn't end up doing something "fun" like flooding the entire fort with magma in my very first season. (I've not yet killed a fort with magma, but I never seem to be able to build my magma works as I'd intended. The intended workshop level becomes part of the plumbing, and I have to build my workshops a level above that). I've got all the basics down, but I've reached the point where all the tutorials end and you aren't really sure what to do next with a fort.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ohh, okay. I'd only ever seen that happen when they sparred with weapons, so I didn't expect it.

I have it with weapons, without weapons, elite or beginner... it just happens. Is the normal risk of being soldier. The only guys that have no such problems are the Marksdwarves.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
I'd kinda like to get in on it myself. Problem is, I'm fairly inexperienced, so I'm not sure that I wouldn't end up doing something "fun" like flooding the entire fort with magma in my very first season. (I've not yet killed a fort with magma, but I never seem to be able to build my magma works as I'd intended. The intended workshop level becomes part of the plumbing, and I have to build my workshops a level above that). I've got all the basics down, but I've reached the point where all the tutorials end and you aren't really sure what to do next with a fort.

Yeah, I'm still climbing out of that level of experience myself. It doesn't matter, though; it'd be great if you wanted to join, and I'll sign you up for year 5 if you'd like.

Also, Eagle, just for the hell of it I'm exploring this place in adventure mode. I've found out a few things; most of the engravings in this fort are about my ascension to leadership in 201, and a child told me that his father Bembul Sealnourished killed Stakud, the wrestler. Also, Stupidbeard got into a fight and was killed almost instantly on my arrival, which made me laugh.

Eagle

Reaction score
19th Granite
Elves came, they brought cloth and assorted plants. I went ahead and bought them out with some of the kobold junk we had lying around. The cloth will be good for trading clothing and the diverse food should keep dwarves from forgetting how good +plump helment roast+ really is. Also a birth.
elftrade.jpg

11th slate
migrants have arrived. We got a dungeon master Solon Plainsclasp. 21 other dwarves accompanied him. Our population is now 85.

17th Felsite
An immigrant engraver became possested and made a granite amulet. Its worth about 33600☼. Sadly Ducim's work hasn't improved since making this work. Also another birth.
artifact1.jpg

Had some goblin snatchers, killed one, the other escaped.

1st Hematite (Start of Summer)
Magma forges are finished and operating.
magmaforges.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Inexperience is GREAT! If you have an afternoon open on a weekend that's all you need. The more dwarves that meet interesting ends or floors that accidentally get flooded the better. We're not going to be mad if the fort is left with a single dwarf or completely destroyed, it just makes the game more fun. Please take at least one turn!

-----
Most of it is taking advantage of the fact that magma doesn't flow up. I'm thinking about how I'm gonna get the obsidian works going, Right now my magma and river inputs are the same z level, I'm trying to make it foolproof enough we won't lose miners when operating it.

Also, the well and tower-cap farm are not receiving water from the underground river fast enough to fill at a reasonable rate. I'll probably build a pump system to make it work faster.

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Most of it is taking advantage of the fact that magma doesn't flow up.

That's how I've (so far) managed to keep from flooding my fort. Getting things set up so that the magma doesn't have anywhere undesirable to go on the same level is a bit harder.

Eagle

Reaction score
Would anyone object if I get the dwarven economy activated?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Would anyone object if I get the dwarven economy activated?

Sure not, but don't make coins... they are still badly handled.

Eagle

Reaction score
I've never had any experience with it, but go for it if you want to!
Its a wondrous experience were nobles order peasants to be hammered for getting into debt. :) Honestly, it just helps allocate your bedrooms better and lets dwarves waste time shopping.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

10th Hematite
A Human caravan has arrived. We purchased a lot of wood, cloth and leather. I requested iron bars and dogs.

17th Hematite
The fortress had annother election and "Shaddow Addict" has won the mayorship back. Pundits attribute the outcome to the fact that the previous mayor "Stupidbeard" spent too much of her time updating stockpile records instead of campaining.

20th Galena

The weaver Melbil Mebzuthrosat who has been collecting silk from spider webs for nearly three years now has created a fancy sandal worth 30600☼. Unfortunately we don't have any one-legged dwarves.
artifact2.jpg

11th Limestone
A siege has arrived, right next to our incoming caravan!
I see 5 goblins right next to the incoming caravan. Looks like they'll fight first. It looks dangerous, the goblins brought crossbowman and only a few of our wrestlers have the new steel armor.
goblins1.jpg

goblins2.jpg

The caravan lost several guards, we lost one: Stakud Tulonosad, elite wrestler. The good news is the steel armor and weapons from the caravan guards is now ours.

goblins3.jpg

The fortress value currently exceeds three million dwarfbucks.

Last edited: