Question General update procedure

Mythos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi developers,

what is the best or official way to update your addons?
  • Is it a hard rule to have the version number in your package / ZIP like hangar says? I don't want users keeping all old versions.
  • Do you put version numbers into GUI?
  • What's about updating config files? Do you put them into your package (so old ones are commonly overwritten) or do you implement a procedure to write standard config files and update older ones?
  • Do you update your hangar thread or make a new one? First page of my thread is full of "oops you compiled in debug mode", not a good first impression although it was instantly fixed. The latter thread is more interesing and should not be dropped.
  • Would you keep all new functions or restrictions optional at least by config file to avoid users saying "older one was better"? :)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I don't think there is a rule.

I'm not an add-on developer, but I personally prefer to have one page with the latest version, instead of having obsolete ver1, ver2, ver3 pages that (maybe) point to latest ver_whatever_number (or maybe they don't).

If you refer to your Hover MFD 1.0.1 page, I would update the version number and edit the text on that page removing the "oooops", listing the "new features", this sort of things.
Oh, and update the zip as well...

It's "your" page, edit it to your liking.

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As an user, I would like to have a page named ADDONAME (for example: "Hover MFD")with:
ADDONAME (version number): link to download ADDONAME.zip
New features:

Bugs fixed:

Bugs still present:
2. (oh)

To do:
-
-

Comments: link to comments
-------------------------
I would like to download a zip with addonname only, no version number in name. I would like to have version number in GUI. I would like only one config file. I would like all config options to be controlled from GUI including new features or options.
I know I send to review my first program (a C# calculator) also in debug mode but in here it's the quality of the addon that matters. There are no bad impressions as long as your own work is displayed, downloaded and apreciated. As Ripley said, it's your addons so do whatever you want (if you share :D)