Problem Gliese 581 Planetary System

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK i am currently working on a few systems one of them is the GL581 system.
I have complete everything except bases...
If anyone wants to "donate" a base that would be good...

Last edited by a moderator:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looking good so far! :thumbup:

Nitpick: Please try not to conflict with the existing [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4460"]Gliese581[/ame] system's file names. :tiphat:

Not trying to discourage you from the project, though. The more the merrier! :cheers:

I'd like to make a base for this, but I don't think I have the time right now...

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hehe don't forget my [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4462"]version[/ame]. Witch i have the update to the 6-planet skimatic basicly complete. Just need more bases. (delayed due to computer problems)

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My version should be the most scientifically accurate, but it's in bad need of an update. The station was rushed and some of the planetary graphics are shoddy.

I'm not sure whether I should include g anf f, considering that we now believe them to be fictional. :(

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
Yep Gliese 581 g is to 99% fictional, because HARPS has not confirmed the HiRES dates. But HARPS confirmed Gliese581 f, but this planet is not intresting for life.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
HARPS confirmed planet f? :(

Oh come on, that's just cruel.

I hate you, Gliese 581 g. :cry:

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Really? It's listed uncomfermed wherever i look. What's your source?

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
http://www.raumfahrer.net/news/astronomie/05012011175204.shtml

but its in german.

There u can read that only 5 planets are confirmed.

* Gliese 581e: 1,9 Erdmassen, 3,15 Tage Umlaufzeit
* Gliese 581b: 17 Erdmassen, 5,4 Tage Umlaufzeit
* Gliese 581c: 5 Erdmassen, 13 Tage Umlaufzeit
* Gliese 581d: 8 Erdmassen, 66 Tage Umlaufzeit
* Gliese 581f: 7 Erdmassen, 433 Tage Umlaufzeit

Erdmassen = earth masses Umlaufzeit=time needed for an orbit around the star in days

Last edited:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My version should be the most scientifically accurate, but it's in bad need of an update. The station was rushed and some of the planetary graphics are shoddy.

I'm not sure whether I should include g anf f, considering that we now believe them to be fictional. :(

What is so realistic about yours?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Correct planetary attributes and sudarsky classes, tidal locking of all bodies, lack of moons (again due to tidal factors), and the fact that Gliese 581 d is a world ocean (its size and potential planetological origin suggest that it has an ocean hundreds of kilometers deep and thus no land at all).

And the lack of our much beloved Gliese 581 g, but that's because I made the system about a year ago...

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My system will be more realistic after the my update. Gliese 581 d will have over 90% ocean. Sudarskii class will be implimented. Gliese 581 c with now be venusian with an atmosphere over 2,000 times thicker than ours. Gliese 581 g will be in the update with almost global cloud cover. (g will be removed if disproven) Planet f will have a brown smoggy atmosphere. All my updates are complete but, i need to add more bases and wait for my computer to get fixed so i can work on finishing it.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why would the sadly nonexistant g have almost global cloud cover? It'd definitely have very interesting weather and climate patterns, and a good deal of cloud, but there isn't any reason this should be a near-global cover.

The solar pole would have a lot of cloud from the evaporation of water in that vicinity but I'd imagine that it'd be offset by the lack of clouds over the cold farside...

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wouldn't be shure the night side is cold. Afterall it's 3 times hevier than earth and should be able to destribute heat to the nightside effectivly.
picture.php

My interpertation of Gliese 581 g.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Distribute heat to the nightside effectively" means "The nightside is not cold enough for air to freeze out of the sky".

From what I can tell, models for Gliese 581 g show the planet as having an average temperature of -64 to -45C, and -37 -12C with an Earth-like greenhouse effect, inferring a large portion of the planet covered by a very cold climate zone.

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's greenhouse effect is going to be alot stonger than Eaths as it's atmosphere will be over 5 times thicker. Also there are so many variables you just can't tell what the tempurature is going to be. The way i have g set up though the dayside will be at a maximum tempurature of 180 F and to lowest night temp will be 14 F, but the absolute coldest would be -130 F at one of the poles. (curculating winds don't give to mutch heat to the poles.)

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's greenhouse effect is going to be alot stonger than Eaths as it's atmosphere will be over 5 times thicker. Also there are so many variables you just can't tell what the tempurature is going to be. The way i have g set up though the dayside will be at a maximum tempurature of 180 F and to lowest night temp will be 14 F, but the absolute coldest would be -130 F at one of the poles. (curculating winds don't give to mutch heat to the poles.)

So, you're a climate science expert too?

Funny, you claim there are too many variables to know anything, then two seconds later you give figures on the temperature of the day and night side and for the poles...

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The north and south pole mean nothing on a tidally locked planet. What is dominating the climate, is the sunward and antisunward pole. The farside will probably be all ice, a good deal of the dayside will be very hot (too hot for anything other than thermophiles), and a band extending from the terminator will have Earthlike temperatures.

The actual climate drivers on an Earthlike planet and a tidally locked one are similar; on a tidally locked planet the sunward point is the start of the hadley cell system, which drives air over the rest of the planet to the farside, where it condenses, falls, and flows off the icecap as cold, katabatic winds.

Earth- or any fast-rotating planet, for that matter, is like a tidally locked world on a lathe. The planet spins relative to the star, which means that the sunward point is a line rather than a single point, and the hadley cells travel only north and south, not over the planet uniformally... in the end the poles end up seeing the least solar energy so they end up being the coldest, but the situation is different from the gigantic freezing nightside cap of a tidally locked world, which sees no sunlight at all and gets what little heat it recieves from the atmospheric currents originating from the nearside.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This would be a lot easier to follow if everybody agreed to use Kelvin... :p

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The tempuratures i have shown are just the way i set up gliese 581 g in my addon. Thats just the way i imagend it. The real planet if it exists could be totally different. We don't know what goes on on this planet. So untill we get a clear photograph of the planet we don't know it's climate.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This would be a lot easier to follow if everybody agreed to use Kelvin...

Kelvin confuses the heck out of me, so I use the temperature measurement system that's shifted by 273.15 degrees...

I agree though, I absolutely cannot stand farenheit. :uhh: