Grad School in the US

AlfalfaQc

Future Rocket Engineer
Reaction score
Hey guys, how is it going?

I've seen a couple of thread regarding similar topics but I have my own questions for you grad students in the US (especially if some of you are foreign student). I'm gonna be done with my bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering in a couple of year and I'm looking to do my Masters in the US (I would like to go somewhere without a winter :lol: ). Here a little summary of myself:

I studied 2 years in physics engineering before switching to mechanical and due to the way the program is set, I will have spent around 5-6 years for my bachelor. I have decent grades, nothing super good but above average (3.1 GPA). That's pretty much it for the academic part.

For my more "professional part" I did 2 internships in 2 different engineering firms. I think that does do nothing to help you when you apply for grad school though. This summer though I am doing an internship in the robotics lab at my school (which is ran by one of the biggest researcher in the field in Canada apparently). So I'm really looking forward to that. I know the student who was there before me was able to even publish something while working with this professor so that might be possible for me too. I also am at my 3rd year in Formula Student and I have a good experience in design/fabrication because of that.

So that's for my summary. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do for my masters. If I really like robotics this summer it might be a good option, but I also really like aerospace and everything related to it. I still have maybe a year to decide what I want I think.

My questions are:

-Do you guys think I have any chance, being a Canadian to get into a decent school (nothing like Caltech or MIT, I know I have no chance in those)? I was looking at school like USC, Cal Poly, University of Florida or other schools like that. I know people usually don't like those types of question but I would like to know what you guys think.

-What are the good way to improve my chances? Obviously, getting better grades through the end of my bachelor degree would help but other than that I am not sure what to do.

-Does the fact that it took me more time due to a change of program will make it impossible to get into grad school? I changed program so I will have spent a total of 6 years in uni. I guess this will play against me in some way but is it impossible now for me to get in grad school?

Thanks a bunch to anyone who could help me. Grad school in the US is one of my dream and most jobs I would like require a Masters so I kinda need to do it anyway. I know I would not have any problem to get into one here but my goal is to go more south haha.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
My Miss Cruiser (hereafter known as "The Kiddo") will be graduating with her BS in December. One of the things she's pondering is working at Tennessee Tech with a crew of professors in their department (doing, something, apparently). Anyway, if she gets the gig, she'll be teaching undergrads, working on some project of some kind and also working on her Masters.

What I'm getting out of the deal is that I'm not retiring early.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help there...

Just talked to her, her field is computer forensics. Her professor works with law enforcement pretty regularly.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
There are many, many foreign graduate students in engineering. (I would say most are from Asia).

But it shouldn't be too much of an issue relative to your personal qualifications. It won't really be that "foreign" anyway. It's not like English is your second language.

You might be limited against ITAR research, though. They are really strict about the ITAR, even for people from very closely allied countries. You would be really surprised what comes under ITAR.

You are going to have to just apply and see what you get.

Krikkit

Reaction score
Most universities have a >3.0/4 GPA requirement, but I had ~3.4/4 coming out of my bachelors and was rejected by 2/3 of the grad schools I applied to. Try to finish strong.

I don't think taking 6 years will hurt.

On your entrance essays and stuff emphasize your practical and professional experience and how you hope to build on that by furthering your education.

Do well your GREs (If they have those in Canada?). They are easy questions, but its a timed test. Study for them, get used to their questions style so you can read them quickly.

And don't worry about being an international student. Public universities love international students because they get to charge them (or the grant their doing research under) about three times as much for tuition as local students. ITAR rules do get a little weird, but US university graduate programs are always like half international students so universities always have plenty of non-sensitive research opportunities.

Best of luck. And be sure to do a lot of research. There are a lot of universities in the US. I hear about new ones all the time. There is bound to be a bunch you would get into. For example, when you check out University of Florida, also check out University of Central Florida (great school actually), University of South Florida, University of West Florida, etc.

AlfalfaQc

Future Rocket Engineer
Reaction score
But it shouldn't be too much of an issue relative to your personal qualifications. It won't really be that "foreign" anyway. It's not like English is your second language.

Well, I forgot to say that I'm actually French Canadian therefore English is indeed my second language XD I studied a couple of years in an english school though so it should not be an issue.

As for the GREs, I'll have to take them, we don't have that in Canada but I need to take the US ones to get into a US school. Thanks for the advice for the essay and such.

I have another question: Would it be a good idea to contact some professor that I would be interested to work with before sending in my application? That would be to demonstrate my interest and also get them to know me. If they happen to see my application go through they might be more willing to work with someone they talked with (if they like me enough) before instead of a complete stranger.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback guys!

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
It won't really be that "foreign" anyway. It's not like English is your second language.

Well, I forgot to say that I'm actually French Canadian therefore English is indeed my second language

Doh!
:facepalm::blush:

Sorry, I assumed because your English was so good...

Would it be a good idea to contact some professor that I would be interested to work with before sending in my application?

Ohhh...tough call. Possibly.
It would be difficult to pick a professor to contact without going to campus.

I think it is common to interview with prospective profs. like it was a job interview. Especially if they have paid research (or teaching) assistant positions available. Not all will, and don't presume that you will get one ahead of time, as with any job opening. (But try to get it if you can). You also want to interview the professor to make sure you are really interested in working with them. Some profs. look good on paper, but...

Also, try to talk to your prospective professor's current/past students if for no other reason than to make sure that they are not a complete jerk.

Last edited: