Greetings earthlings

KKinsane

CAPTAIN PLANET!!
Reaction score
:lol: I kid, but how awesome would that be :)

I am currently learning electronics in my own time preparing for a college course on the topic (at least I think thats where life is taking me), I have a MASSIVE interest in the idea of a UK space program and honestly can't wait for it to happen. which brings a question, where would they put the launch site? I have tried to find out if they have such a plan to no avail, is there a good source of information about where to place launch sites? i'd like to build one in orbiter :)

my skills so far have been sub-par really, I can get to and stabilize a LEO (time stretched w/ no corrections after stabilization orbit lasted 9 months :) ) but i'm still trying to learn why my DGIV is exploding on re-entry, and how I can make ISS solid so I can atleast crash into the damned thing instead of passing through it on attempt to dock :D (I like raw dirty realism over usability for some reason, which is probably why I prefer trek to wars o_O shh...well, I would not complain if someone bought me a working lightsaber but photon torpedos can be made right now, alebiet tiny ones.)

but yea, I have lots of interests, I think its best to let you know right now I do not believe black holes are what scientists think black holes are, and leave it at that, I can be very argumentative but to be honest I do not want here to be a place I must be argumentative, thats what youtubes for.

I guess i'd like to figure out how to 3d model final fantasy 7's rocket to add to the collection of amazing spacecraft that are already supported by orbiter :) maybe even try to make the FF8 orbital delivery system (person+large bullet like object+gun like HARP, not to be confused with HAARP, +row of anti gravity/inertial dampening/whatever you want to call it- nets to catch you in orbit :D obviously this is a deathtrap if you miss the nets.)

for now peace y'all i'm going for a beer and to read more on how I should be flying these things :cheers:

ps. incase you haven't already noticed [unlikely] I do tend to go on a bit because I think to much and my brain feels like this --> :eek:wned: most of the time but its all good :D

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:welcome: to the forum!

KKinsane

CAPTAIN PLANET!!
Reaction score
I think I finally understand, but "Entry angle should not exceed 1.5 degrees for Earth." = or =! AoA ??? I'm sure i'm going to feel stupid once I finally land :)

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Entry angle is the angle between your flight path and the athmoshphere/surface at the time you come in contact with it.
Whilst doing that your AOA should be around 40 for delta glider class ships.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I think the entry angle is displayed on the DGIV's "Deorbiting display" that you can reach by pressing "D" then "2", and dont worry about messing up with re-entries at first, you should of seen some of my first re-entries and landings :lol:!

KKinsane

CAPTAIN PLANET!!
Reaction score
I think I understand that, I need to stretch the orbit down so the angle is into the atmosphere but between critical failure angle of 0-1.5 ? I will attempt to do just that soon (still haven't actually gone to get my beer yet, space is one distracting topic), I plan to go from an ISS docked DGIV to save the whole getting to orbit part.

I might post screenshots and calculations and such if it goes well, to help fellow noobs :) I think I should probably look up "entry angle" just to be sure I know exactly what i'm aiming to do aswell, i'm not entirely sure HOW to perfect this manuver but heck trial and error. thank you for your help TSPenguin :)

ed: I will look for the panel reading also :) safe woo482

Last edited:

Dambuster

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forums!

If you haven't read them already, I'd strongly recommend downloading and reading all of ar81's tutorials (found here: http://www.orbithangar.com/searchauth.php?search=ar81) which concern atmospheric entry - they're excellent!

And most importantly, don't give up (unless real life stuff needs doing [I should take more note of that one] :p)!

EDIT: Also, it's awesome to see yet another UK Orbinaut here!

KKinsane

CAPTAIN PLANET!!
Reaction score
I DID IT :) and i've had two beers :cheers: I have attached exactly what I did as a scn file, I even tested the minibar addon at one point :) I chose wifebeater as i'm drinking actual stella artois right now :)

ok, so I started at ISS, figured out what way I was actually traveling by eye and MFD's, looked at the panel, did a miniscule burn (I nearly overshot, I stuck with 0.8 and it seamed to work.) then I checked the checklist and the programs that check for you, and tbh it was a slow decent, but the nosecone reached exactly 1500c at one point, I tweaked the AoA between 40 and 30 to make the heat distibute, and sure enough mach 26 became mach 4 :D I disabled re-entry (pro104spec40 not the full-auto one. I have no joystick yet either btw...) I then decided to head to the antarctic for a nice landing, but decided to crashland into the sea instead. I think I died but i'd like your scientific opinion of weather the crash would have actually killed me considering its supposed to be water I hit :)

thank you for explaining to me the difference between AoA and entry angle :tiphat:

ed: I forgot to mention if you watch ---V this I suggest you timeskip if and where possible, I think its about 20 mins.
ed2: I just found out you cannot time skip...well, grab a beer :)
ed3: I nearly forgot I took a screenshot at one point where I thought I might just be exploding again, tell me what you think of the numbers :)

Attachments

• Re-entry_#1.scn
    3.1 KB · Views: 0
  • O_o.jpg
    O_o.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome KKinsane, I'm sure you'll get a lot out of Orbiter and the forum.

Re: the UK space program.

If you are interested in the future, these two are the best candidates I know, with Reaction Engines making best progress.

http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/
Bristolspaceplanes.com(seems to have gone off, could be maintenance, hioefully not abandoned)

Historically, there were the Blue Streak, Black Knight, and Black Arrow programs, and you'll find lots of internet stuff about them. There should be a Black Arrow in The Science Museum, if thats handy, and there are Blue Streaks in East Fortune museum near Edinburgh, and the Space Center Leicester. A few around museums in Europe, bits in Australia...

A good book about UK rocketry is "A Vertical Empire":
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertical-Empire-History-Programme-1950-1971/dp/1860942687"]A Vertical Empire: The History of the UK Rocket and Space Programme, 1950-1971: Amazon.co.uk: C.N. Hill: Books[/ame]

Its got a website with other info:
http://www.spaceuk.org/index.htm

Good read, I can recomend it.

Specific to Blue Streak, this is the best I've found so far:
http://www.bis-spaceflight.com/sitesia.aspx/page/128/Node/108/l/en-gb
Bottom of the frame; "Blue Streak by Charles Martin"

Excellent book if you like looking at schematics, and reading data tables, I do!
Paperback, and falls apart after a year, so needs careful handling.

Not much chance of a UK launch site, unless you head North, or South West. Europe is just too close, though they did think about it...

http://www.spaceuk.org/bstreak/bs/cumbria.htm

http://www.spaceuk.org/ba/northsea.htm forgot about this for possible Black Arrow launches.

Should really mention Spadeadam, and the Rocket Propulsion Establishment at Westcott. They were important sites in the UK rocketry history.

Also this, it did a lot too:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4490253.stm

N.

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hi there welcome to the forum and congrats on your successful reentry! :welcome: