Question Hand made 2016 elev tiles

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A bit of progress

picture.php

I had to alter the level 12 tile but at least the crater has a flat bottom.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
- Changes should be carried up and down the tree. You can edit an individual tile/level, but don't be surprised if you get strange results.

Is this from experience, or is it written somewhere? I found this problem, and I don't know if it is a bug or what. I've edited maybe 5 patches of terrain in the same way (only changing the highest level) and no problems showed up. :shrug:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
From experience and theory ;)

When creating global maps I started by skipping low res levels.
The result was a blank planet from distance, or a flat planet with terrain popping up when close. And generally poor performance.

But prove me wrong :)
If you can skip the entire tile tree part with good results, development becomes much simpler.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
From experience and theory ;)

When creating global maps I started by skipping low res levels.
The result was a blank planet from distance, or a flat planet with terrain popping up when close. And generally poor performance.

But prove me wrong :)
If you can skip the entire tile tree part with good results, development becomes much simpler.

But I'm using the Elev_Mod folder, and when this problem occurs there's a disconnection between what is being shown (my modified tile in the Elev_Mod folder), and what the vessel is "feeling" (apparently the original tile).

I see your point, but if my vessel is a few meters above the surface, and it is (or should be) showing the highest level tile for the area, which I happed to have edited, why does it matter what a lower resolution tile has or hasn't? If I want a consistent look as a approach/depart an area, then yes, I know I'd have to edit the other levels.

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can confirm I also have had landing pads floating 100 foot in the air. Could this be some kind of weighting issue. i.e. the elevation is worked out from the level 12 file you are sitting on but 10% is still taken from level 11 and 5% from level 10.

Just when do you stop using a level 11 tile and start using the values from level 12 ( or Ten travelling the other way)

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Built a base in the Menelaus crater using a tile in the Elev_mod directory.
Simple now as just a proof of concept.
picture.php
[/IMG]