Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Heat pipe cooled? Nice.

Have just seen the first water cooled GPU abomination with the power consumption of a Apollo spacecraft, sadly there is no standard for water cooling yet that would allow plugging this into system into an existing circuit.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How old is your PSU that it doesn't at least have a 6+2 graphics card connector? I'd probably be concerned about using such an old PSU, tbh...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The PSU hack was a BAAAAD idea! You may have voided your GFX card warranty with this :p

Computers are plug-and-play and they fit together like Legos. If it doesn't fit, don't force it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How old is your PSU that it doesn't at least have a 6+2 graphics card connector? I'd probably be concerned about using such an old PSU, tbh...

I can't read the sticker on the PSU, but it looks like you won't find Proline outside South Africa any more.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score

It's a 600W psu.. so should be good to go.
I started running it up on KSP (KSP is expensive on everything ;) ) and it got hot quickly... fans were not operational.. (Fark !!) so I quickly quit.
Checking out driver issues as I would like the fans running full tilt.

Checking all systems before I launch :tiphat:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's a 600W psu.. so should be good to go.
I started running it up on KSP (KSP is expensive on everything ;) ) and it got hot quickly... fans were not operational.. (Fark !!) so I quickly quit.
Checking out driver issues as I would like the fans running full tilt.

Checking all systems before I launch :tiphat:

Just as a small hint, if you are already getting into hacking: Do you believe that a single watt number is enough to describe the capabilities of a PSU, if you need already two numbers to properly describe a mans butt? ;)

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
I can't read the sticker on the PSU, but it looks like you won't find Proline outside South Africa any more.
Ja.. this PC is some 5 years old.. but I bought a 600W PSU then, expecting upgrades of some sort... If it becomes a problem I'll get another PSU.

I was just miffed that I couldn't run up straight away and had to spend some more hours 'fixing the problem'. I'm already pizzed off that a 4GB DDR3 blew in this upgrade.. sheitz.. don't they make PCs like they used to.

Yes I'm 'earthed' ..big time when I do these things ;)

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Just as a small hint, if you are already getting into hacking: Do you believe that a single watt number is enough to describe the capabilities of a PSU, if you need already two numbers to properly describe a mans butt? ;)
Yup.. I'm well aware of Power Factor and Switching Transients..
Just applying a ballpark number that in the end overrides the finer details
In the power delivery fields .. not much changes in the high power delivery.. it's all physics
;)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ja.. this PC is some 5 years old.. but I bought a 600W PSU then, expecting upgrades of some sort... If it becomes a problem I'll get another PSU.

You better get one. It is not so much about the 5 years, but rather about the quality of your PSU - you need a WHOLE LOTTA WATTS into those connectors without messing up the power supply to the rest of the PC.

Also, the PCI-Ex 8 pin connector has a different pin layout as the standard 8 pin CPU power connector. Especially you won't be properly handling Sense A and Sense B in your set-up.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-specifications-atx-reference,3061-12.html

Last edited:

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Also, the PCI-Ex 8 pin connector has a different pin layout as the standard 8 pin CPU power connector. Especially you won't be properly handling Sense A and Sense B in your set-up.
You have a point.. I'll check that out.. Thanks :thumbup:

I checked out all those sites .. well, they're informative as toilet paper :)
What is more interesting is the Sense-A/B.. which I missed.
I'll see how this effects the power delivery. As for the connections I made... much better than pin-to-pin
:)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You have a point.. I'll check that out.. Thanks :thumbup:

I can only recommend being careful with the power supply. Many modern PC components don't like it if the power supply is too unstable. Often it won't directly destroy components, but it can cause unexplainable blue screen situations.

I am pretty sure that a 600W power supply won't be able to produce 3x 12V and supply 3x 50W through them cleanly.

I would have started at 1000W for such a large GPU and make sure that it supports a recent ATX standard, like 2.2.

PS: Contrary to what you might expect, the sense pins connect to ground. Sense0/SenseA means a 6 pin connector is connected, Sense0/SenseA and sense1/SenseB together signal to the GPU that a full 8 pin connector is used (since you can plug a weaker 6 pin PCI-Ex power connector into a 8 pin PCI-Ex power socket, with reduced capabilities of the GPU)

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I hope it's OK if I show my self-built system in this thread.

IMG_0665.JPG

Specs:
Case: Corsair Carbide 330R Blackout Edition Ultrasilent Midtower Case
MoBo: MSI Z-97 Gaming 5 LGA-1150
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.4 GHz with CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo cooler
RAM: 2xKingston HyperX Savage DDR3 8GB 2166 MHz
PSU: XFX Pro 850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
Boot/System drive: Kingston HyperX Save 240GB SSD
Primary storage drive: Crucial CT512MX 512GB SSD
Secondary storage drive: SeaGate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB

Most of these components were reused from previous systems.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I would have started at 1000W for such a large GPU and make sure that it supports a recent ATX standard, like 2.2.

Nah, you only really need 1000+ if you're running an SLI or similar setup. 750W is fine for a single card.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Nah, you only really need 1000+ if you're running an SLI or similar setup. 750W is fine for a single card.

You know, its better to be safe than sorry. More than 1000W is never really needed except for extreme performances.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I bought a 2GB 960 GTX a few months ago to play fallout 4, it performs well. I was going to buy the 950TI but it only had 1GB of ram so while at the shop spent 2x as much money as I was planning, but if I went for the 970 it would have been 3x-4x as much as I planned.

I use MSI afterburner for fan control, the default is auto and every 30 seconds the fan speeds up and the change of nosie is annoying so I set it at 40% all time.

Last edited:

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
I can only recommend being careful with the power supply. Many modern PC components don't like it if the power supply is too unstable. Often it won't directly destroy components, but it can cause unexplainable blue screen situations.

Ja, i checked out the sense pins and all was ok.. but as you say, and this PSU is a bit long in the tooth.. So I bought a new 700W, as it not worth popping an expensive gpu card
:thumbup:

Funny thing is that this card didn't have some default fan control in the firmware (Or I haven't seen it).
Got hold of GPU Tweak and all works fine.. Temps are rarely above 55 Degrees C at 100% GPU usage, No hiccups nothing.

Just a pity that there's not much decent info available for this.. even on the suppliers websites.
Maybe the info is hidden somewhere, as I had a frustrating day yesterday trying to get some decent technical gen.
The net has become cluttered with rubbish.. ;)

Last edited: