OHM HARP

Rossco

Reaction score
Scenario works fine.

NOTE: Do not attempt to load the HARP GUN into the HARP GUN. Orbiter and my computer reacted badly to this and came back about 3 mins later, minus a running orbiter... :p (I had to try it....)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Works Great! however, I found that the first stage can tumble pretty badly upon launch, though nothing else seems to do that...

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I'm a fan of HARP because I think it has one of the fastest times from launch to orbit of anything.

The tumbling is probably because of HUGE dynamic pressures at launch, since it leaves the barrel at Mach 3. Launching with about 47 degrees elevation helps because the dynamic pressure isn't so high for so long.

This gets me to at 1200km circular orbit easily without any modification to the firing velocity and without tumbling:
1) Launch a Martlet due east with 47 degrees elevation
2) Apogee should be about 54km. Coast all the way up to 48k. By this time, you should automatically have a pitch of about 30 degrees to the horizon.
3) Fire first stage. Let it burn out. Apogee should now be well over 100km, but not super high
4)Within seconds of first stage burn out, it should be safe to jettison the first stage, the nosecone, and both fairings.
5) Set the second stage to prograde autopilot. Fire the second stage when time to apogee is about 30 seconds.
6) Drop the second stage as soon as it burns out. Then, within a few seconds, fire the third stage.
7) After burn out, you should have about a 600-700ish km x 150ish km orbit. The default "payload" has high drag, so wait till you get to about 180km before you release it from the third stage.
8) After that, you have the payload rocket with which to tweak your orbit. I can get to about 1200km fairly easily.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Running at .1X time helps as well. I encounter this quite a bit with high speeds in atmospheres.