Question Have you ever been on an airplane?

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
Two flights aboard a 767, Delta Airlines and LOT. One coming up.

Also flew on an An-2 as a kid in Poland, at an airshow. Not airlines.

I love taking off, I love maneuvering, and I love landing. I hate sitting in a seat for 7-10 hours.

E

ex-orbinaut

With the Cessna 140 I have no idea how many hours I have flown co-pilot.

This is what a logbook is for!

I still need to get one.:p

The only ways to log "right seat" hours (legally) in a single-pilot certified aircraft are:

1. If you are a Flight Instructor training a student or,

2. Said aircraft is in a Part 135 operation, the operator requires a second pilot (for IFR considerations, for example), and has this specified in their Operational Specifications.

These are the ones that come off the top of my head at this moment, related to FAA Regulations. Are you in one of these categories? Otherwise, be careful; your hours would be for your reference only.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here is the Dash-8-300 (of the same airline I flew on):

http://www.reisinformatieweblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/maldivian-air-taxi1.jpg

And the DH8-100 (same airline) is here:

http://www.airplanemart.com/aircraf...hort-Takeoff-And-Landing-Utility-Aircraft.jpg

I also have some videos of the flights, but I haven't uploded them anywhere - I may put them on YouTube.

Wow.
I couldn't find such pictures on my first attempt, and Wikipedia doesn't mention a special seaplane edition of the Dash 8.

It seems that just about any airplane can be converted to a seaplane. Or maybe the high engines and wings are an advantage for the Dash 8 to make conversion easier.

Edit:
If the second image is a Dash 8, then why does the file name say DHC-6?

Last edited:

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
These are not Dash 8's! The pictures show Dash 6's. That's quite a difference. The Dash 8 is considerably larger!

AirSimming

Reaction score
From the early 1980s up to date:

Commercially

* Boeing 747-200 & 300 (Lufthansa)
* Boeing 727-200 (Lufthansa)
* Lockheed L1011 TriStar (LTU)
* McDonnell Douglas MD-11 (LTU)
* Airbus A310-300 (Hapag Lloyd)

Privately

* Cessna 172
* Piper PA 28 A
* Antonov AN2

The most amazing airplanes to me were the L1011 TriStar / MD-11 and especially the Antonov AN2. The Antonov AN2 was the only airplane that gave me a certain feeling of what really can be called "to fly" (I guess because it is able to lift off already at ~40 knots). It was exactly that airplane (operated by the local airport of my home town):

1634831.jpg

I've flown with it once, and I'll definately do it again (it's only 65 Euro and it flies even above my house). The day I've flown with it they had to change the comm radio before, because the previous one had blown :lol: No, I'm not scared to fly with anything. I'd like to die in a great airplane rather than in road traffic or in my bed ;)

Just watch the engine start procedure and its amazing sound:

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
wow! you really did ride an AN2 :cool:
i've only seen one in the Lelystad airspace museum back when i was in my exchange program :rolleyes:

but as for things i've flown, there'll be all the "mainstream" Boeings 727, 737, 747, 767...
a DHC6 twin-otter, a Maule MX-7, and AMT-100 "Ximango" motorglider and erm... THIS

i got to fly the latter three hands-on, too! quite a treat :thumbup:

i've never flown in any Airbus or Helicopter.... i don't really make a point on the Airbus, but i'd really like a chance to fly chopper sometime....:cheers:

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Boeing 737,747,757,777 (and maybe others)
Airbus 319 (and maybe others)
McDonnell Douglas DC-10
US Air Force C-5, E-3 (Just on the ground)
Diamond DA-20 Katana (I actually flew it)
de Havilland DHC-8 Dash 8
Tupolev TU-134 - Maybe the most fun airliner I have ever been on. It sure looked like a bomber, with a glass nose bombsight and a chin turret. There were about 6 passengers on a plane which could carry 70, and when we landed and hit the brakes, all the empty seats folded forward like dominos (flop-flop-flop).

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
DC9-30
AA-5B Tiger
CRJ-200
ERJ-145

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I looked around the internet, and found a 2009 Cessna 172 Skyhawk going for (get this) $297000 USD. If that's not expensive I don't know what is.

I do! bigger, better, faster planes :tiphat:

I've only been on the 737 and 747 mostly. About 4 or 5 flights on smaller 18-20 person(?) turboprop planes, but I didn't catch what type they were. I know they have cheap seaplanes around here somewhere 80 bucks for a one way ticket halfway across the state but I have yet to do that, on my list though!

AirSimming

Reaction score
wow! you really did ride an AN2 :cool:
i've only seen one in the Lelystad airspace museum back when i was in my exchange program :rolleyes:

The lucky circumstance for me is that the local airport of my home town does operate the AN2. Otherwise I would know that plane only from pictures and movies :)

It was my strangest flying experience already from the moment I entered that oldtimer, and epsecially when the radial engine was being started (you could smell the fuel and oil within the cabin immediately). That airplane has half a century of age, and you think you're doing a time travel. The moment of lift off was even better. You feel somehow "light". The speed is quite slow, about ~40 knots and yet the rate of climb is quite high whilst you notice almost any slight gust. It feels like something "pulls" the airplane into the sky, i.e. you can feel the lift. It's like you're flying with a big paper plane. But it's a great Russian workhourse (build almost 20.000 times I think). Though, there was incident a few years ago. They've had problems with the engine, so they had to land somewhere. They chosed a meadow not too far from where I live. Good that the airplane has such great short field take off and landing capabilities :lol:

On that video up there did anyone else notice the shuttle patch on his arm?

Yes. It was almost the first thing that came into my eyes. Seems we're all the same kind of guys (and girls), even pilots, who are interested in nearly anything that lifts off the ground.

Aviator

Reaction score
Well, im currently building hours for my commercial pilots lisence :)
so eh.. if anyone was nearby moorabin airport and wanted some free joyfligts - im flying with spare seats :lol:

Mantis

Reaction score
I've flown on many aircraft:

Cessna 152*
Cessna 172*
Dash-8
Boeing 737-700
DC-9
Boeing 767
Airbus A320
Airbus A340
C-130 Hercules
Bell 206 Jetranger (Helicopter)
UH-1 "Huey" (Helicopter)

* = I've flown those models - I was a passenger in the rest.

Last edited:

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Having grown up a marine corps brat and traveled much during that time I've been on more aircraft than I can count, especially given that my father was an aircraft mechanic. If you include the aircraft that I've only been in on the ground that number grows quite a bit. Lets see:

A6m3 zero
B-17g flying fortress
F-4u corsair
A-4 skyhawk
F-4 phantom
F-16 falcon
F-18 hornet
A-10 warthog
C-130 hercules
C-141 starlifter
C-5 Galaxy
C-117 (forget exact designation)
A-6 Intruder (2 and 4 seat variants)
CH-46 (helo)
HH-46 (helo)
UH-1 (helo)
Aircobra (helo)

747 (at least 3 different variants)
DC-10
L-1011

As a copier service tech I traveled by air EXTENSIVELY in my service area in just about every kind of civilian prop aircraft and helicopter imaginable via the local air taxis Plus I have logged 3 hours flight time (introductory flight) in a small cessna.

This is all that I can remember off the top of my head.

bwog

Reaction score
Nope, I never have :(

I haven't even been in one in the first place...

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
I really can't remember all the planes I've been on. But here the most recent ones:

17849.jpg
(LHR-DXB-BWN)

26974.jpg
(BWN-AKL)

and these are upcoming next month:

uvasummer3.JPG
(FRA-ORD)

14256.jpg
(ORD-FRA)

These flights will be especially sweet:

united-airlines-first-class-suite4.jpg

Alexw95