Question Have you ever been on an airplane?

Keatah

Reaction score
cessna 150
cessna 172
boeing 707
boeing 727
boeing 737
boeing 747
mc donnell douglas dc10
mig 25
fokker f90
brantly b-2b
hughes 500d

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Of course you know if someone posts that they've flown on the space shuttle, they win.:hail:
How about the full-motion shuttle simulator at JSC, does that count? I flew a landing in that, and still have the printout somewhere...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sorry, no.:nono:

but very cool though:cool:

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My first airplane flight was on a Beechcraft D-18S (Twin Beech, WW-II era military designation C-45) . This is the twin tailed prop plane type that the A-Team was always jumping out of and is often being crashed in Hollywood movies.

The noteworthy thing about that experience is that this plane was owned by the University of Washington and we were making several flights for the department of Aeronautics and Astronautics Flight Test course. I discovered that a 45 deg banked turn is more impressive when you are trying to raise yourself up to read a gauge above your eye level. I remember looking out of the low side windows at the sailboat we were circling around and around (and getting closer to).

My father's first plane trip was a military flight in 1946 coming back from Japan. He then worked at the local airport for over 30 years and retired before taking his second flight on a commercial jet. These days, most people seem to take flying for granted. But any flight shorter than 26 hours is still fun for me.

E

ex-orbinaut

How about the full-motion shuttle simulator at JSC, does that count? I flew a landing in that, and still have the printout somewhere...

:hail:

But the main question: Was it a successful landing?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
:hail:

But the main question: Was it a successful landing?
The landing was off-nominal, but I landed on the runway and didn't collapse the gear (the other two co-ops I was with each made one of those mistakes)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've flown on more aircraft than I can remember, but off the top of my head I can say:

Boeing 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, possibly 707 when I was very young
Douglas DC-9 and McDonnel Douglas and Boeing variants
Douglas DC-8, wonderful airplane
Douglas DC-10 and McDonnel Douglas variants
Lockheed L1011 Tristar, Lockheed's last hurrah in civil aviation and a nice plane for passengers
Airbus A320
Shorts 360
Beech Bonanza V-tail

at least one helicopter and some other turboprops I can't remember.

Personally piloted Cessna 150, Cessna 172

Lately I have come to despise flying on commercial airliners so much that I have no interest in keeping track of what sort of aircraft I'm on, so I may have missed an Airbus type or two. I know there are some others I am missing.

Until I sat down to type this I never realized just how much flying I have done in my life. I occasionally meet somebody who gets through college without ever having left the ground, but I was flying in the 1970s before I was even old enough to remember. Back then it was different. The service was good, there was a dress code, the stewardesses were hot, and the pilots used to take little kids into the cockpit and give us little toy airplanes.

Now flying just sucks and every minute in the air is spent waiting to get off and out of the airport. Civilization regresses, it seems.

Last edited:

flying coffin

Reaction score
Aircraft I've flown in:

Boeing B-17 (THAT was a killer ride!), 727, 737, 757
McDonnell Douglas MD-80, Bell Jet Ranger helicopter, Lockheed L1011
Mooney, Super Decathlon (also a fun ride, whew!)

As pilot:
C152, Aerobat, 172, Cherokee, Citabria.

Most fun maneuver:

Half cuban 8. When you're looking up at the ground during the 45 degree down-line, and the prop stops (no inverted fuel system), it really gets the heart going!

"Whatever gave you the bright idea to eat a big 'ol breakfast before going flying?"

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Planes I was the passenger of:

Boeing 737-(Multiple variants, I don't remember all of them)
Airbus A319
Airbus A320
Fokker 100

A glider (I don't remember which)
Some small plane like a Cessna (I was about 9 years old and didn't really care, as long as it was flying ;))

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Most fun maneuver:

Half cuban 8. When you're looking up at the ground during the 45 degree down-line, and the prop stops (no inverted fuel system), it really gets the heart going!

"Whatever gave you the bright idea to eat a big 'ol breakfast before going flying?"

:rofl:

Mine was, " Why would you eat a sub, before practicing spin-stalls, in the blanik ?" :sick:

fight_or_flight

Reaction score
Planes i was on:
737-300/400/800
747-400
757-200
MD 83

A319
A320
A330
A340-200/600
A380 every day ;-)

Tu-154
C-160

quite a list :)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can't remember exactly which aircraft I have flown on.

I've definitely flown on the Boeing 737 and 747, and probably 757/767 as well.
I've flown on a few Airbus aircraft, and at least one possible McDonnel Douglas aircraft.

I've never flown in a light aircraft or rotorcraft, nor have I operated an aircraft.

Now flying just sucks and every minute in the air is spent waiting to get off and out of the airport. Civilization regresses, it seems.

Indeed.

E

ex-orbinaut

Back then it was different. The service was good, there was a dress code, the stewardesses were hot, and the pilots used to take little kids into the cockpit and give us little toy airplanes.

I can but only agree with you on this. Some of us were lucky enough to see the tag end of the fabled "Golden Age" of aviation.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've found for me that flying on a more full stomach is a lot better than flying on a more empty stomach. Usually on the weekends when I have a flight, I'll have a couple bowls of cereal, then take a shower, then have the half-hour drive to the airport before starting preflight. Breakfast ends up being 1.5ish hours before I takeoff.

I had previously been only having one bowl of cereal, but that would cause queasiness, especially when doing stall recovery or steep turns.

gberard

Reaction score
First flight in the 1950's was on the tri-tailed Constellation. Best flight was in a T-6 Texan where I got to take the controls to do some loops and aileron rolls. My son is an F-18 pilot but no chance of a ride in that one. I have gone up with him in a small Cessna.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
... My son is an F-18 pilot but no chance of a ride in that one. I have gone up with him in a small Cessna.

Was he tempted to land it on a boat ? :thumbup:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Will be on one tomorrow again, Sarajevo-Zagreb-London. In case there's a crash on that route and you never hear from me again, you know what happened... :hello:

BlueRose

⑨rbinaut
Reaction score
Airplanes? Only been in a couple airliners back when I was about 5. Helicopters are another story, since I love being a pilot who flies R22s and R44s. :thumbup: