Have you mor than just a joystick?

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
Inspirated from that: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showpost.php?p=192099&postcount=37 I now ask, who has more than just a joystick. Have you got two joysticks? Or a reconstructed Cockpit?

Well, I have three Joysticks, but at the right the throttle stick is damaded and at the rleft one the x-axeis is smashed. I use the middle (my main-stick) to controll the ship normally, without fly-by-wire. The right i for translation (I used the x-Axis of the left for back forwad. That's crazy, but after a bit some training and a diagonal standing jostick it goes). The left sticks throttle-stick makes hover. The lower half of the x-axes of the left stick makes retro, so if I pull it back it's working a bitsome like a hand brake.

Joysticks.jpg

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
I just have one Joystick, but it's not enough for orbiter. I think to buy a X52 or similar, some pedals and then use my old one as translation control. Just rotate the base by 90° and use the yaw axis as forward/backwards thrusters.
That idea with an additional throttle for hover is a good idea! :thumbup:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
One joystick with four buttons, two axes, a POV hat and a throttle. I spend something like 5% of my Orbiter time using it.

The far better controller for Orbiter has 101 input options, which are modifiable to give over 300 possibilities, and every computer has one attached.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have a Saitek X52 (not pro), which I use in conjunction with a Cherry point-of-sale keyboard:
SPOS_QWERTY.jpg

So, I get those labelable extra buttons, and a touchpad for mousing around (mine doesn't have a credit card slot). Unfortunately, it won't register properly with the hardware programming, so I have to use the soft programming and add a small delay between key combinations.

For example, if I set it to do ctrl+H in hardware with no delay, it registers them simultaneously, so it will sometimes turn off the HUD or switch modes.

Not all of them have this problem, apparently. It depends on the model whether you get to change the hardware key press delay.

Also, I can't figure out how to not make it say "Key Combination" on the screen every time I use a key macro. A minor irritation. :dry:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
12% thrust with a keyboard? Simple, CTRL + [NUMPAD +] to increment thrust until 12%.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I'm using Saitek AV8R-01 joystick with 5 axes and 12 keys and Saitek Throttle Quadrant with 3 axes (main/hoover/trimmer) and 6 keys. Almost eliminates the need of keyboard. Still have to stick with mouse, that's why I really miss a third hand:)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a joystick, and I've hardly ever used it. Part of why is the fact that it lacks a yaw control...

I used my 4 channel Futaba RC radio once...

Win. :thumbup:

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
I used my 4 channel Futaba RC radio once...

Was that with your RC DG project though?

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

What's 12% yaw? Your RCS thrusters handle yaw with either 100% or 10% thrust.

Yes, but in atmosphere, you'd be using rudder (which is really the only place a joystick would matter anyway).

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
are we counting joystick totals or just the ones that are currently jacked in ?:lol:

i fly Saitek X52pro + Rudder Pedals + 3dx SpaceNavigator....

i have all that conveniently bolted onto the sides of my chair... which makes for something of a sim-pit, i guess

here:
picture.php

i've rigged up my FlightControls module so that the space navigagator directly controls translation RCS, as the stick and pedals do rotation simulataneously - so no more lin/rot switching for me :hmm:

but i'm not quite done in my cap'n kirk madness...
i still have a couple of older joysticks that i plan to take apart and hook up the circuitry to make a side console behind my throttle unit :blink:
i've dismantled it before, and all the wirings are beautifully modular, controlled by a single PCB which translates the analog inputs to the USB plug - so i guess it should be as simple as building the console unit and soldering the wires into the very awesome switches i have yet to acquire :rolleyes:

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Nice rig! :thumbup:

I'd like to get an X45 (twistie-stickes (aka, X52) = teh evil!) for use with Orbiter and other space games like B5:IFH. Just can't afford it. :(

Also... not sure where I'd put it. lol Can't let it interfere with my ThrustMaster Cougar HOTAS. :D

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have a Logitech Attack 3 which I also use for Flight Simulator. I'd love a proper yoke with throttle, but they are so expensive.