Hello--How unorinal.

Roger55

Reaction score
Hi I tried to post here before but logging in doesn't happen on the first page:thumbsdown:. Anyway I'm Roger. I am 60. I had Orbiter 2006 but it wouldn't load anymore. I printed out all the manuals then; now I can't. So the relearning curve is really steep. I have yet to get into orbit with the Delta Glider. Hi.:tiphat:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Greetings Roger, and welcome to the forum.

As far as getting into orbit with the deltaglider, it can be, well, odd. There is a tutorial of Martin taking a DG to the moon. You can watch what he does (climbout, with pitch angle changes at what altitude, etc).
But I'd recommend both the DGIV (mark2) and the XR-1, they are a bit easier to fly due to the autopilots included. Both do the same thing, but it'll build flying skills to "master" both craft.

If you have troubles, then you are at the right place for answers. Best of luck, and happy Orbiting!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Bruce is working on a new edition, but the "old" one is still very much valid.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Hello Roger! Welcome to the forum, and to Orbiter.

Finally someone here is older than I am!:tiphat: I'm 54. And I second what PhantomCruiser and Rtyh-12 said. 'Go Play In Space' is an excellent learning tool.

And do get the DGIV first. Then use the ascent autopilot a few times to observe how it gets to orbit. Then you can go on to the XR series.

Good Luck and happy orbiting!

:hailprobe:

Last edited:

Roger55

Reaction score
"There is a tutorial of Martin taking a DG to the moon. You can watch what he does (climbout, with pitch angle changes at what altitude, etc)."

Ive watched it three times. I didn't get the pitch angles till the second time. And I still don't understand syncronizing Orbits on the MFD or How you get a map of the Moon up on the other MFD so you can find the base.

I have a giant ellipse that runs through earth:facepalm:

I hope you all noticed that I can't spell. Actually I can't type never thought it would be essential. Like I thought being a Petroleum Geologist was a bad career choice. Now Ancient Historian or Expert on Early and Middle English Language and Literature, there were careers:beathead:.

Roger55

Reaction score
Tex

You ever try to watch a tutorial with dial up? Remember it took me 3 days to down load Orbiter 2010.

You said "get" a DG IV. Is this a mod? The only DG IV I found is in orbit already. Should I post another thread? :uhh:

I'm having a devil of a time finding Go Play in Space. I put that stuff (Manuals for Apollo, Mercury, etc.) somewhere where I would remember their location. I have all these manuals for FS 9 AC. But it's not with them. So I have to go through every manual I printed up. They are in about six places. You get old see . . . .

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I would ask at what age you start forgetting things, but approaching my mid-40's myself I'm lucky to remember what I had for lunch sometimes ;)
Anyway, the DGIV can be found at Dan's website here... http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=d

You'll want Orbiter sound as well, it's amazing what difference sound can make... It says it's for Orbiter 2006+P1, but it works A-OK in Orbiter '10.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Tex

You ever try to watch a tutorial with dial up?

My apologies... I didn't realize you were on dial up. No, I can't say that I've tried to stream a video on dial up myself. In that case, you may see the screen shot below marking where you log in:

default-login.jpg

edsupagood

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey Roger Welcome to the Forum! :salute:
Why don't you upgrade to a faster internet?

Roger55

Reaction score
Well the sound and DG IV took quite long to download, but I have them now. I found Go Play in Space 2006 and 2005. I'm afraid the former got some water on it and parts are hard to read. The 2005 edition was in a ring binder and wasn't effected. I don't know if Smack is the same but that's where I started last time.

I'm off to see the MD today so I won't be on line till tomorrow.

Faster internet? Can't afford it.

---------- Post added 01-04-11 at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-03-11 at 04:55 PM ----------

That was pretty nifty. Thanks for the heads up on that one.