Request Help getting model into Orbiter

Apollo 11

Reaction score
Having been disappointed at the lack of a decent galaxy class starship for orbiter, I decided to go on the hunt for a 3d model to import into the sim. I found what I was looking for, but it's a sketchup file and I have absolutely no idea how to put a ship into orbiter. I've tried to convert the model into .3ds or .obj with no luck. Could somebody export this as a mesh, or, even better, put it into orbiter?

Here's the .skp file I found, it's really quite good.

https://sites.google.com/site/cherrystreetstarships/

Last edited:

Kendo

Reaction score
I have to agree, I,ve searched for a decent model, the real good ones are too big.
I have Sketchup pro, but the 3ds export format is crap. If you can get someone to get a decent 3ds mesh, I may be willing to take it from there.
I am in the process of doing some textures for a model, which probably is the same model used in several mods already on OH. Some minor faults, but It,s the best we have yet. Textures can make all the difference.
This is what I have at the moment, obviously only for tests.
I will look for more decent textures in the meantime.
Here is a piccy.

Attachments

• 1701-D_piccy.jpg
    1701-D_piccy.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 27

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i use sketchup, i generally export as collada (.dae), free sketchup does this and i think the models are smoothed and look better than .obj's anyway. Then i load it into blender for all the texturing easy as pie! I don't think sketchup does proper UV mapping (?) so you need to retexture, it has its limitations but i find it really intuative for making the initial shapes.

Theres a pretty solid .msh exporter for blender available, just search for blender orbiter export

... it looks like kendo's on the case anyway, that looks good so far!

Kendo

Reaction score
Tried those John. Trekmeshes strangely are too big to convert.

That sketchup model isn,t the 1701-D it,s the NCC-71244 I converted it as a test, and its too detailed and uses too much CPU.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Tomthenose, I,m not on the case. That piccy is a different model.
The model is used in several older mods from OH. I was just trying some different textures. But I have given up the idea, as these models have been done before.

Apollo 11

Reaction score
I've recently found a planetarium simulator called Space Engine. One of the developers has released a pack of various Enterprises for the sim. Perhaps this would be more doable? One happens to be the Enterprise-D and it is very good, both in regards to the model and the textures. I don't recognize the format of the model, however. Anyway, it may be another lead. Be sure to uncheck the box that says "use our download manager" at the bottom of the page.

http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/b29bcc30

Kendo

Reaction score
That wont load in an8, an8 only does Lightwave 5.
Blender loads it fine, but can,t convert to 3ds or msh.

I,ve nearly finished the V'ger starship. But checking the size of the ship online, it,s 97km. Might not bother, its a big ship..

Anyway, I,ve searched and searched for the 1701-D, but can,t get anything reasonable. The model at various OH mods uses the one from Trekmeshes, it,s not perfect but it,s the best one you will get. I guess it really needs, retexturing and some mesh tweaks to bring it up to standards.

I loaded that 1701-D in an old Blender1.49. I noticed it,s in 2 parts, the saucer and the rest. I re-saved each half back to Lightwave (vastly reduced from 35mg to 4mg each half ) and loaded both parts back again. Then saved to 3ds, tried to load in an8 but came up with an error. Didn,t try saving as a mesh though. I couldn,t see any textures.

Last edited:

Apollo 11

Reaction score
Perhaps a simple detailed retexture of the current model is all it needs. It would be an improvement to say the least. There are numerous photos of the 6ft studio model online from when it was auctioned off in NY. Using these images in conjunction with screencaps from TNG should allow a substantial improvement to be made in the textures.