Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So, given the difficulty people have had setting up a working Minecraft server, I decided to give it a go myself.

The server is at:
IP: 67.182.137.227
Default port (25565)

Dynamic server map: http://67.182.137.227:8123/

This is a SURVIVAL server. That means that there's no cheated materials of any kind. Half the fun of minecraft is in gathering resources. If you just want to build big things, go make a creative world for yourself.

That said, Minecraft provides the ability to effortlessly farm some resources, so there are three worlds on the server:
OrbiterWorld: Anything other than cheating or griefing goes. Farm away. This is the world you spawn in.
Resource World: Designed to be a throwaway world to give us access to resources introduced in new Minecraft patches, farm here to your heart's content, but remember that anything you create won't be permanent. Accessed under the initial spawn hill.

Last, the "super-survival world" or SS world, accessible via the stargate at spawn, is intended for those who prefer Minecraft in a more limited resource environment; a true survival world, not a survival world that has a virtually unlimited amount of some resources provided by afk farms. The primary mantra of the SS world is "no farms," which essentially breaks down to:
- Resources from other worlds aren't allowed and should be blocked. If you find a way around the block, I won't be happy.
- Farms that provide resources normally obtained from mining and in limited supply (iron/gold/redstone/etc) are not allowed.
- Fully automatic farms that provide resources without requiring any user interaction are not allowed, regardless of what resource they're farming.
- Limited-interaction (pull lever, get stuff, no more interaction required) farms should be of a reasonable size. If your farm can provide enough sugar cane to fill a double chest of books in just one push of a button...it's too big. Be reasonable.
- Agricultural farms where the user needs to explicitly re-plant things (e.g., a wheat farm that floods with water allowing for easier gathering of wheat, but still requires the user to re-plant the wheat on all the farmland blocks) are fine as long as all other restrictions are respected.
- XP farms and mob farms that don't provide "banned" farmable resources are acceptable as long as all other restrictions are respected.
- Farms deemed harmful to the world economy by a majority vote of responding SS world stakeholders (those who have spent significant time in the SS world and prefer that style of play) may be stuffed full of TNT and detonated without warning.
- The SS World is on "hard" difficulty, so you'll die easier.
- There is no online map for the SS World. If you want a map, make one in Minecraft.

There's a lot of people on the server, so I'm going to have to restrict new users to only people with an O-F account--post in this thread for yourself and I'll add you. This doesn't mean that you should have a friend sign up for O-F just to get them on the server--there's already something like 60 people on the whitelist, so I think it's time for a change to the "everyone and their friends" policy I've been using.

Features:
Permission-based whitelist - Anyone can join the server, but you need to be granted permission to build in order to break or place blocks. If you want permission to break/place blocks, post here with your MC nick and I'll add you.
Daily backups - World backed up 4x daily in hopes of not losing work :)
Autosave - Everything saved every ten minutes.
Auto-restart - If the server crashes, it should bring itself back up. Theoretically.

Rules:
- It used to be that the only "rule" was "no griefing." Don't steal stuff from people. Don't intentionally damage another person's building (yes, I know creepers happen, that's unavoidable). If you intentionally make things hard for others, I will ban you.
- And then it came to light that people thought that means they could cheat or abuse minecraft bugs. If I catch you using any kind of glitch to obtain infinite or unnatural amounts of anything (with the obvious exception of things like cobblestone or stone generators, which still require you to mine the object and are intended behavior), I will ban you. Use common sense. The redstone/obsidian thing also doesn't count under this rule, since you're just trading one thing for another--unlike the above video in which you're getting something for nothing.

Things that aren't actually rules, just guidelines. I won't ban you for these, I'll just glare at you.
- Don't leave floating treetops, they're ugly
- Try and be a bit more artistic than a mud hut for your home
- If you chop down a bunch of trees, please replant some--everyone needs wood

Note that the area near spawn is Orbiter-Forum City. TL8 is the mayor--see his post for rules and guidelines of the city.

Plugins (only the ones relevant to other people):
Autosave: This automatically saves the server state once every 5 minutes (this may be upped to 15). If you have build permissions on the server, you can also manually initiate a save via /save.

LWC: Private chest protection. See its wiki page for a list of commands. Basically, the only ones you really need to know are:
  • /lwc - shows a list of commands
  • /cprivate - locks a chest/door to be private so that only you can open it
  • /cpublic locks a chest/door to be public so anyone can use it, but no one can lock it for themselves
  • /cremove to remove protection from a chest/door you locked.
  • /credstone on to prevent an item from being activated by redstone torches/switches/buttons.
  • /cmodify <name> ... - adds privileges for <name> on lwc protection (seperate multiple names with spaces)
  • /cmodify -<name> ... removes privileges for <nam> on lwc protection.
Most things currently default to public. Chests default to private. If you want to change something from public to private use /cremove on the thing first followed by /cprivate.
If someone has abused this to lock you out of something, post here and I'll fix it (and, depending on the severity of the crime, possibly ban the person).

In-game Info
- TL8 is the mayor of Orbiter-Forum City (a.k.a. The Commune or Communia), the area around spawn in the new world; see here for rules.
- Gerdih has built an iron farm. See this post for guidelines.
- Orb made a map of the Nether transit routes.
- The Watchtower has specific rules for posting on its bulletin boards. See here for info.

Last edited:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
fireballs619 is also my MC nick. I'm also looking for some servers to mess around in :thumbup:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Your name is everything here Hielor.
Please add me for the occasional dabble. Same nick

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I'd like to join as well, same nick here to.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd like to join as well, same nick here to.
Done

I've also updated the original post with a very simple set of rules/guidelines. They're common sense, but it's worth having them written down anyway, I think.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

I've also added people I remembered from the previous servers:
- n122vu
- ironrain
- izack
- nistenf

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
You can add me as well. My nick is also FSXHD for minecraft

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've dropped the autosave back to 10min instead of 5 and added a daily backup of both the world and the nether. I've updated the original post with this info as well.

Nistenf

Reaction score
Thanks for adding me! I'll play a little now and more on the days to come

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for adding me! Will log in soon and have a look around. Will be nice to see what everyone else creates.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
So, to clarify, if someone does not have an OF account, they can't build on this server?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
My MC nick is Rimbecano.

I thought I already added you?

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Mine is doofus_duck

I'll add you tonight.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

So, to clarify, if someone does not have an OF account, they can't build on this server?
Anyone who asks me, has a bona fide social connection to someone on O-F (one of my coworkers, for example, may be joining us), and isn't planning on griefing people is welcome on the server. That said, I'd like to keep it mainly to O-Fers...the server is limited in how many people it can support.

On a slightly related note, we apparently had an incident of thievery earlier today, with someone taking stuff out of a chest that another person had labeled as theirs. It's unfortunate and I had hoped it wouldn't be necessary, but I will be installing a "private chests" mod tonight to allow players to restrict access to chests and doors when I restart the server tonight. I'll post here with details once I have.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Mine is doofus_duck
Added you, sorry for the delay.

I've added info on the private chest/door mod we'll be using to the first post. Basically, /cprivate to lock your chests/doors, /cpublic to ensure that everyone can use (and no one can lock). I'd recommend that you use one or the other whenever you place a chest. It currently defaults to no protection--if you feel this should be different post here and I can change it to default to private. Also post here if you've found that someone else has locked a chest/door of yours--give me the coordinates of the thing and I'll fix it.

Pablo49

Reaction score
I went through and checked all the chests and doors that should be public in the commune. Got a few Hielor missed. :)