Question Holding one's breath

FADEC

Reaction score
I'm just curious how long Orbinauts can hold their breath. How about a small contest?

My current record is 1 minute and 45 seconds, while sitting on the desk chair. Lying in the bathtub gives the same results. But it's not always 1 minute and 45 seconds. Mostly it's 1 min and about 30 seconds. My breathing reflex begins at about 1 minute. My next goal is 2 minutes...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I'm just curious how long Orbinauts can hold their breath. How about a small contest?

My current record is 1 minute and 45 seconds, while sitting on the desk chair. Lying in the bathtub gives the same results. But it's not always 1 minute and 45 seconds. Mostly it's 1 min and about 30 seconds. My breathing reflex begins at about 1 minute. My next goal is 2 minutes...

:(
I can reach about 1 minute tops

FADEC

Reaction score
:(
I can reach about 1 minute tops

I think you can do more. When I started to try it turned out to be only 1 minute as well. Then it was 1 minute and 15 seconds. Later it was 1 minute and 30, and now it's 1 minute and 45 seconds.

I will have another try after my next bicycle training to see if it does have an impact...

MattBaker

Reaction score
I just tried it sitting in my desk chair.
Breathing reflex starts at around 1 minute 20 seconds, but I hold out until 1 minute 57 seconds.
But that's sitting in a chair, I remember that I was really bad at diving in physical education in school.
An orbinaut who served in the navy or is an athlete should get better results, I read that Miguel Indurain had a pulse of 28 bpm, that should lead to great results.

Just had my second try 10 minutes later, 2 minutes 7 seconds. My advise is to start breathing intentional more than one minute before and inhale and exhale very very deeply to clear and fill your lungs with new oxygen. Also, don't look at the clock, I just checked the stop watch at 1:50 and breathing reflex began heavily.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
28 seconds :(

(Of course, I just went down and up two flights of stairs. I'll try again when I'm recuperated.)

Spaced

Reaction score
Pansies.

I spent around 3 minutes breathing deeply but slowly and I've been sitting still at my computer for the last few hours.......
I too got the reflex to exhale around 1 minute 30 seconds in. But I managed to stay relaxed and kept going until 4 minutes, 6 seconds. Had hoped for 5 minutes.
I've got a headache now and I'm not going to try again.

I'm a heavy smoker but come from a family with a strong tradition in swimming. I always used to be able to hold my breath for extended periods. When heavily intoxicated I could sometimes forget to exhale and need to be nudged before I black out. But in that condition I never panicked, I just went "oh....... sorry." and started breathing again.

Ater a short while, your heart races but then it realises you're not going to breathe for a bit and you can feel it slow right down. I then make up music to the pulse in the temples of my head.
As long as you can stay relaxed and focused on something else you could be surprised at how long you can go on for. Just forget about breathing for a little while.
Fast paced racing games seem to have the same effect on me too. I can do multiple laps before I think "oh cr*p! I need to breathe!".

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've got a headache now and I'm not going to try again.

Anoxia and CO2 poisoning. You really went to the limits. :blink:

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I don't know why you'd want to do this in the first place. I suppose it could be fun, or whatever :shrug:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
New challenge, who can swallow the most benzene.

But seriously, not more than 1:30 for me.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sounds like a slow Orbiter week, when you read things like this. :p

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, it makes much more sense to do this in a swimming pool. The idea is to manage muscular effort so that the moves are as slow and efficient as possible. Also, underwater, you can't keep your lungs full of air, especially if you want to dive (even at the bottom of an olympic swimming pool (3 meters), you feel the pressure, I can tell you !).

Try to drop a shiny coin in such a pool (with professionals watching the basin) and bring it up to the surface, it's an excellent exercice. Add more coins for extra challenge. ;)

FADEC

Reaction score
Wow. 3 minutes is awesome. 4 even more :)

I'll have another try this evening. At least I want to reach the 2 minutes mark.

And yes. It might not be very good for the brain, if you go overboard with the training. But I discovered it's quite good for my allergic asthma. In combination with my bike training it almost makes me feel like I have no asthma at all. There are only a few weeks in the summer during which I have to take my aerosol occasionally (once the pollen are in the air).

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Record is just over 3 minutes, then the pool lifeguard came around and started tapping me on the shoulder.

Really depends on the situation - relaxed, lying on the water face down or wedged under the pool's edge can be easy into several minutes.

In the open water, diving down and moving around would make a minute hard.

One of the more interesting experiences is, in the clear sea water, to dive half a dozen meters down to a buoy's anchor or something easy to hold on to, and just hang there upside down, looking at the sky below your feet.

FADEC

Reaction score
By the way: what if I breath pure oxygen before holding my breath? It certainly would increase the time, wouldn't it? That would also be a nice cheat for freediving in the ocean :lol:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
By the way: what if I breath pure oxygen before holding my breath? It certainly would increase the time, wouldn't it? That would also be a nice cheat for freediving in the ocean :lol:

I don't think so. It's just as important to get rid of the CO2.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would say a bit less than 2 minutes is possible, if I stay relaxed and at low pulse. I can stay a bit more than one minute under water, when diving for distance... the last time I did it had been a distance of 2 x 15 meters including a turn around roll.

Well, I can try to measure it... I have a stopwatch somewhere...