How did you find Orbiter?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was looking for space simulators on Google, iirc. The first time I ever came across Orbiter was several years ago (can't remember the year), but the first time I really tried it was in 2009.

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I found Orbiter in a french forum about Flight Simulator. In a post, I saw the Tex's "Orbital Reflections" video. The page page was Post -> Orbiter Download page. Then I looked for an "Orbiter Sound", and I arrived to the Dansteph forum.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Once upon a time there was this game:
Shuttle_loading_screen_%28MS-DOS%29.png

Shuttle_in-game_screen_%28MS-DOS%29.png

And me searching for something similar finally got me to the Orbiter, circe 2002-2003.
Don't remember the details by now, but i do remember that the first thing i did was point Atlantis (just undocked from ISS) towards the ground and go full throttle, intending to land.
All the years of playing the game above didn't teach me the basics that Orbiter then shown in a few hours.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i was searching for mods for a space sim "Freelancer" (microsoft from way back)

i started just rowsing some mods on modDB and found a wierd link to something called Orbiter space flight simulator... a quick search later and it was installed on my computer and i was trying failing to reach orbit (hey, we all start somewhere)

romanasul

Reaction score
I found it searching for "realistic space flight simulators" on google. I've grown tired of all these games like Call of Duty, Deus Ex, Battlefield, etc. I've always loved space so imagine my surprise when I found Orbiter. I never thought it was going to be this addictive, I almost failed an exam because of it lol:p.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Can you be any more specific as to what pages?

Two and a half years ago is a very long time to remember this :lol:

Probably here

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_video_game[/ame]

and here

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_flight_simulator_game"]Space flight simulator game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Went back over my early posts but did not give me a clue. Reckon I must of stumbled on it while looking for something else. What a great find however...

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well my route is a bit complicated, but here it goes:

Back in the 2007 - 2011 time frame, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIRECT"]there was a grass-root effort in trying to persuade NASA to abandon the behind schedule and budget Ares I and Ares V rockets, named DIRECT[/ame] (which I in turn found from a link on the Wikipedia Space Shuttle page, and lead me to various spaceflight forums that I have joined since then). I found them in mid-2008, and at that time one of our add-on developers, Antonio Maia (a.k.a. simcosmos), has been making add-ons for the different configurations of the rocket on Orbiter and use them for performance simulations. There was a link on the old DIRECT page, and so I was lead to the world of Orbiter 2006. Well my first feel wasn't good: I can't take off from KSC with the default Deltaglider! (probably because I did not bother to check the manual) So it wasn't until 2009 that my Orbiter experience finally lifted-off, but I have stuck to it since then (even my 10 year SimCity experience has gaps in it right now).

NASA_DirectSDLVv0.1_PIC.jpg

So yeah, I am also an SLS supporter (though not as hard core as the others :rofl:), but let's go down to the dungeon shall we? ;)

cipher169

Reaction score
I was looking for addons for FSX on simviation, and I saw a picture of a space shuttle. Ever since I clicked on that picture I have been playing orbiter.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Was looking for MS Space Simulator and stumbled upon Orbiter. I think Orbiter is the best out of all of them!
Same here. My MS Space Sim floppy died and so back in about ~2004 I went to the Home of the Underdogs abandonware site to see if I could download a copy from there. Under related software I found Orbiter and didn't even bother getting what I originally came for. It's exactly what I looking for, a highly realistic space simulator that could handle shuttle missions, historic missions, etc.

Dogerie

Reaction score
My dad sent me the link as a long time FS fan I took a look it's going to take some getting used to it didn't reconise my flight stick and everything will take tiem to get used to the fact that in space there is no up or down and no one can here you scream

SpaceEagle

GEP Reborn Project Manager
Reaction score
I was drooling to get SSM2007 when I watched a YouTube Video of it. Then on the right there was an Orbiter Space Flight Simualtor video. Clicked it, and thought that it was payware. Gone to the local software shop and found nothing. Then got home and Googled Orbiter Space Flight Simulator, and came exactly what I was trying to get for free.

(Can't remember the year, but it seems like 2010-2011 period)

Sorry for necropost

Odahs

Reaction score
I found orbiter in a roundabout way. Use FSX a lot and had been flying a lot of missions in the English Electric Lighting which was capable of pretty impressive altitudes, certainly enough to notice the controls getting a little mushy in the thin air. That set the seed, what's it like to fly outside the atmosphere?

A couple of years passed and a series from childhood, Gerry Anderson's UFO has always kept me wishing for a detailed simulator of the spacecraft featured.

So I started to search for a ready made simulator suitable to develop some of the craft in. I think I found it ;) (I also found a lot of the craft from UFO already had been done for orbiter too!)

Apologies for post-necro post.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was using flight simulator since I was 5 and one day I had the urge to buy Microsoft space flight simulator. In the process of searching for it on the internet, I stumbled upon orbiters Wikipedia page... I played orbiter for about a year or two, while making systems, before I got an account with OF and OH.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Google and Youtube. Can't remember a particular date or time, but whenever looked up anything spaceflight-related, like say, Saturn V, I would always get a simulation video or a screenshot.

That was roughly two years before I actually made a account, but to be truthful, I've been lurking around for quite a while prior. :)

Pioneer

Reaction score
I discovered Orbiter around the beginning of 2010, but I didn't get around to downloading it until the very beginning of September of that year, which coincided with the release of the latest version (100830).